Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TV/UPC cabling

Options
  • 19-07-2014 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi,

I have a cable connection point for my TV on the wall in my living room where my UPC broadband comes through. This seems to come down through the wall from above but I'm trying to figure out where exactly from and where the cable enters the house.

I can't see any incoming cables on the outside of the house as I've seen elsewhere. Checked the attic and can't find any coax cabling up there but need to have a proper look again.

I want to run a cable down to the same point for my Saorview aerial so I'm hoping to find where the broadband cable comes in and use that to route the new one.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Kohhal wrote: »
    I can't see any incoming cables on the outside of the house as I've seen elsewhere. Checked the attic and can't find any coax cabling up there but need to have a proper look again.

There was a time when Eircom owned Cablelink, the predecessor of the UPC Dublin network. During that period, the TV cables used the Eircom underground ducts in areas where access was difficult or a problem because people wouldn't agree to let the cable run along the top of their house. So your cable could come in from the street with the phone cable, it possibly splits from the phone cable on the outside of your house. It might run up along a drainpipe to the top of your house where it enters the attic and connects to the internal cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Kohhal

Thanks, am I correct in assuming then that I should be able to find a TV cable up in my attic somewhere? Couldn't find it again yesterday...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Kohhal wrote: »
    Thanks, am I correct in assuming then that I should be able to find a TV cable up in my attic somewhere? Couldn't find it again yesterday...

Unless the cable is coming through a hole drilled in the downstairs window, it will typically come in via the attic, especially if the TV point was installed as part of the construction of the house and wasn't added afterwards.

Advertisement