Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

loftus hall

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

There are reports of people experiecing activity in Duncannon and none for Loftus .... what would that lead you to think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭blue42

well given that loftus hall is built on the site of the orginal hall..i would have thought that there would some negative vibes......then again i have never been to loftus so i cannot be sure. i have however been to duncannon fort, and while i found it to be a fine historic building....i didnt feel any negativity.

Ok so subjectively speaking you have never had feelings in either place and yet would presume Loftus might be haunted and Duncannon would not be?

Yet there are reports from Duncannon and none from Loftus?

If we are going to label places as being haunted then should we make that judgement based on where looks spookier or has a violent history or base it on reported experiences?

Now dont get me wrong I'm not saying either is or is not haunted. I'd make a judgement for myself on my own personal experiences but I would take on board what others have experienced.

i may be wrong but i thought there were reported experinces about loftus hall....albeit very old ones.

• Advertisement

Nothing I've heard, other than the generic devil stuff.

That said people dont have access, you can have experiences in a place if you cant get in?

Its almost a question of if a tree falls ..blah .. blah .. blah. You get my drift.

i know the stuff about the devil going through the roof sounds dodgey....but i was talking about the reported sightings of "ann tottenham" from years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Moonmaniac

i am from wexford me self, live about 10 miles from loftus hall. there has being many talks what happened there and i wish it where true, but as stated by other people every county does have reports of the devil. then the pint of the lovely black stuff came along and that blocked our judgment, it is a kool place to vist alright and i would wish it would be open to the public. there has being movies and tv shows filmed there and there was a documentary made about hall years ago. me and my m8 use to go driving allot down around hook but any time we passed loftus hall we never said to each think no bad thoughts the devil will get ya. place to visit if ever in wexford. and if ur lucky the tide will be in and the blow hole in hook will be shooting its load all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Wasn't the original building supposed to have 3 rows of 6 buildings and when they rebuilt it the put in the 3 rows of 9 windows.

Spooky....

I remember being told about the devil story when I was little I think I was about 5 or 6 at the time the Nuns were occupying the place. It was later turned into a guest house I heard that they used to make a killing on Halloween weekend.

Excuse the pun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Liffy

I was there yesterday, and was fortunate enough to befriend the caretaker. He has given me express permission to have access to the grounds, to take photographs. He also asserted that he would not come after me with his shotgun and shoot me.
    It is sad to hear from him, that all the windows and doors had to be boarded up, due to constant vandalism by louts. Breaking the windows with stones, and even recently, they still pry off the plywood and break in.
    So these are the people who are to blame, for the 'no trespassing' situation.
    It sickens me to think such disrespect and pure wanton damage, has been inflicted on such a monumental and grand buildng like this by arseholes!
    I found the caretaker to be a very guarded man, and have established a rapport with him. He does not usually take to strangers asking questions about the house.
    I observed a slight sadness in his eyes, as he described how water was now getting in through the roof, and the place is indeed, slowly falling into desrepair.
    He also related other things to me, but i don't wish to breach his confidence.

Later down the road, i may have the possibility to gain legal access inside the house with him. Once enough trust has been established...who knows?

So, for anyone planning to break into the house illegally - be prepared to be arrested - and remember - it was the constant actions of yours that deprived the rest of the public from enjoying the splendour of Loftus Hall...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Great post. Good luck in this.

Myself and the clan were down in Wexford a couple of years back. It was a splitting hot day and we decided to take a spin out to the lighthouse. I don’t know whether that place is haunted or not but we both got a very eerie sense as we drove by. It wasn’t just the sense you get when you look at something eerie, it went way deeper than that. We couldn’t wait to get away but were completely drawn to it at the same time. Neither of us knew anything about the place. It was only when we got back that we found out it was Loftus Hall and was supposed to be haunted.

TBH there’s an incredible energy all over that area. I could be wrong but I think the history (1798) has a lot to do with it. It’s definatley intense in how it affects you on a spiritual level.

Yes - i agree - the place does have a haunting allure about it. Almost like a time warp sensation?
    The guide at Hook Lighthouse, said there had once been a battle on the Loftus Hall grounds, involving 6000 soldiers. Possibly to do with Cromwell and his mob, or King Charles I - so that would have been 1798.
    Wikepedia.com has a little history on Loftus.
    Also in the tearoom at Hook Lighthouse, there is a small scale model of the original building, before it was knocked down. I think this model looked more sinister then Loftus Hall does!
    I can confirm Mrs Devereaux is residing in a nursing home in England - and has a nephew who handles Loftus Hall for her. He was the one who decided to have the place boarded up after all the window smashing and breaking-in. The aunt is reluctant to sell the place. Not sure why her nephew is allowing it to fall into such ruin though? The staircase in there is valued now at being priceless.
    I'm sure she would be dismayed if she saw the state of it today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Leanan Sidhe

I am sad to hear about Loftus getting into such a bad state, its disgraceful those lager louts are disrespecting the place...they ruin it for the rest of us. :mad:

We were passing by one day and I took some pictures of the hall, I do agree there is something erie about that place, its like time stopped still. I wouldn't be surprised if there are ley lines all over that place and in Duncannon.

In the Hook Lighthouse shop, I read in a leaflet that there was a movie made about Loftus Hall, anyone know anything about this?
    I only hope the hall will be restored to its former glory someday.

As for Duncannon Fort, I don't know about it being haunted but I did get a shiver up my spine and a cold feeling through me for no reason when passing in through the entrance of the fort.

I wish you luck Liffy, and hope the trust becomes stronger with the caretaker. Thanks for posting and letting us know about Loftus.

Duncannon fort is great, we (The PIGS) were lucky enough to investigate there a few weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭AI

Hello Liffy

Get in contact with me if you think the caretaker (or his employer) would be interested in having Loftus professionally documented.

You can see my work here: www.AbandonedIreland.com
    email: info@AbandonedIreland.com

Sure AI, i will inquire for you and share anything else here i find out. I don't see why they would object - but it's a long shot whether they would allow for a paranormal investigation too. Who knows - maybe in good time...
    I did this lame video, but when i go back soon, i will do a better one. This was prior to my meeting the caretaker who had spotted us in the field adjacent- which makes me guilty too of trespassing originally -and so that's how i met him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB0qcZYL5Cs

I am sad to hear about Loftus getting into such a bad state, its disgraceful those lager louts are disrespecting the place...they ruin it for the rest of us. :mad:

We were passing by one day and I took some pictures of the hall, I do agree there is something erie about that place, its like time stopped still. I wouldn't be surprised if there are ley lines all over that place and in Duncannon.

In the Hook Lighthouse shop, I read in a leaflet that there was a movie made about Loftus Hall, anyone know anything about this?
    I only hope the hall will be restored to its former glory someday.

As for Duncannon Fort, I don't know about it being haunted but I did get a shiver up my spine and a cold feeling through me for no reason when passing in through the entrance of the fort.

I wish you luck Liffy, and hope the trust becomes stronger with the caretaker. Thanks for posting and letting us know about Loftus.

Rick Whelan did a film in 1993, on RTE1, but it's hard to find it on Dvd!

Did you manage to capture any evidence 6th - during the Duncannon Fort investigation?

There was a more recent movie made. It was done by a teenager , (promising director) I havnt really heard anythign else about it though .

Hey Lads

I just happened on this thread as I was researching Loftus (which I'm still very interested in properly documenting)

I have also been round Duncannon, I felt nothing and didn't find the place in the least bit creepy.

However if you're into researching the paranormal or just ghost chasing I can tell you of at least a couple of places where you could literally cut the air with a knife. There's a room in an old convent in Cork where I will not stay longer than a few seconds. The first time I was in that room setting up my camera gear I heard voices rotating around the room. The second time I was there with a buddy and he felt his arms being scratched under his coat, the next day he had red scratches from his elbow to his wrist. Another photographer who was in that room for maybe three or four minutes told me the temperature in the room dropped about 10 degrees, it was a hot sunny day and he put on his sweatshirt and jacket as he thought it was just a draft but then even though he as the only person in the building, he clearly felt others were in the room with him. He was visibly distressed for days and won't go back near the place. There is also an old abandoned hospital where you can feel something really bad has happened before you even get in the building. The atmosphere in that place is literally crushing.

• Advertisement

AI, would that be the Magdalene convent you are referring to? I looked at your photos of it and got a queer feeling about the place.
    Thanks for sharing that. Is your friend ok now?

Yes the convent I was talking about is the Magdalene Laundry Convent in Cork. It is a horribly sinister place.

For anybody planning a sightseeing trip, I’ll warn you now the Convent is really not easy to access.

There are also many other locations I’m working on

By not easy to access do you mean people would have to tresspass to get in?

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 robbie00

Has anyone got any good pictures of Loftus hall or even better yet any old or new pictures from inside loftus hall?

6th - by not easy to access I mean just that - the Magdalene place is well locked up - think 12ft high fence with razor wire across the top.

Liffy - have you had any more contact with the Loftus caretaker? Lets get to work and get the place properly documented.

By the way I visited another interesting location on Saturday -
    The Hell-Fire Club, established Dublin 1735. I will upload pics & documentary this evening.

Did you find anything at the hell fire club have been up there before but didtn think much of it

Nothing at all. It was great to visit at night but its just too open to the elements . Somthing strange happened just down the road from it though.

What happened down the road from the site? I am not sure if it to like loftus hall is just another site with a storey made up of the Devil suppose to have appeared during a game of cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

Liffy wrote: »
    AI, would that be the Magdalene convent you are referring to? I looked at your photos of it and got a queer feeling about the place.
    Thanks for sharing that. Is your friend ok now?

Are the photos on here anywhere???

Advertisement