Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free travel pass questions

• 15-11-2014 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, i've been approved for disbaility allowance and a free travel pass, but the citizens advice page is a bit vague.

- how does this work for getting to northern ireland?
    - Apparently the free travel pass has been replaced with a publics service card, how does this work, on say dublin bus?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

cloud493 wrote: »
    Hi, i've been approved for disbaility allowance and a free travel pass, but the citizens advice page is a bit vague.

- how does this work for getting to northern ireland?
    - Apparently the free travel pass has been replaced with a publics service card, how does this work, on say dublin bus?

For cross border travel you will still have to fill out a travel warrant and unless you are over 65 you can not travel within Northern Ireland but can only take a journey across the border to one single destination.

The pass is being replaced with the new public services card but you might still be issued the older version which is a thick paper card printed with your details and which you must sign when you receive it in the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

So when travelling to northern ireland, you get a return ticket to one single destination?
    How does it work for coach travel as well?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭s8080

foggy_lad wrote: »
    which is a thick paper card printed with your details and which you must sign when you receive it in the post.

print your name in capitals, so you can lend/rent to friends.

the paper card is a joke, anyone with a computer and printer can make a good fake one without any effort.

as the fares rise , remember someone has to pay for all the free travel pass passengers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

So when travelling to northern ireland, you get a return ticket to one single destination?
    How does it work for coach travel as well?
    You can get a single or a return on the train and just a single on the bus, you get the ticket from the driver on the bus at Busaras or the airport or if returning get your ticket at the ticket office in Belfast or Newry if it is open and from the driver at other stops.

Ah ok, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭CVH24

I would think you get your free travel ticket for the bus from the Busaras ticket office if it is open and driver at other times!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

foggy_lad wrote: »
    You can get a single or a return on the train .

They only issue single journeys on the train they wont give Ftp return tickets

So I'd have to get one ticket in Dublin to northern ireland, then another ticket to Dublin back from northern ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

s8080 wrote: »

as the fares rise , remember someone has to pay for all the free travel pass passengers.

Very true, like I did with my years of contributions before I became disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Gatling wrote: »

Tick the return option on the form and you will get a return ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Gatling wrote: »

Incorrect. For cross border free travel there is a full range of single, day return and monthly/open return.

Maybe the confusion is in regards to tickets issued to companions etc. I think they only get issued a single ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Maybe the confusion is in regards to tickets issued to companions etc. I think they only get issued a single ticket.

On cross border rail journeys you can get single, day return or monthly returns, all other rail journeys within the republic is single or day return only.

GM228

Reviving a question here, how does this work for the dart? The page on irish rail says you don't need a ticket for dart, but surely you need a ticket to get through the gate?

Reviving a question here, how does this work for the dart? The page on irish rail says you don't need a ticket for dart, but surely you need a ticket to get through the gate?

Just get a ticket at the window if its open just in case the gates are not open. If ticket office is not open an access gate should be left open anyway.
    Otherwise just show your pass if asked for it at a barrier and you will get through.
    The social welfare page says that tickets must be got before travel with the pass and IR say that you dont need a ticket on the Dart.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭waylander2002

theres a chip in the card you can tap at the barrier and it will open if the card is valid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭Shpud2

theres a chip in the card you can tap at the barrier and it will open if the card is valid

It's been 4 years lad. I'd say they figured it out by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Incorrect. For cross border free travel there is a full range of single, day return and monthly/open return.

Maybe by train but not by bus!

Maybe by train but not by bus!

The long term plan is ticketless as with everything in this country will be slow to roll out

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭madnessnmayhem

I swear to god ppl have way too much time looking at old post and have to respond to something that's 3/4 years old and like other poster said I'm sure he'd figure that out by now

• Advertisement

I swear to god ppl have way too much time looking at old post and have to respond to something that's 3/4 years old and like other poster said I'm sure he'd figure that out by now

The fact u went out of your way to write your useless reply means you have too much time to waste. I don't see the problem updating a old post with relevant info.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I don't see the problem updating a old post with relevant info.

How did you manage to find a thread that had had no posts in over three years? You must have gone searching for something to reply to. A classic case of a solution in search of a problem.

coylemj wrote: »
    How did you manage to find a thread that had had no posts in over three years? You must have gone searching for something to reply to. A classic case of a solution in search of a problem.

There is a thing called Google simple to use if you need instructions. Now mosey along to that place you came from and just make a reply if its relevant

If somebody uses Google and searches free pass questions the top search shows this thread. Some information supplied by me and others is then available to them to read. Why you have a problem with this is beyond me. Why start a new thread on a subject that has already been discussed here

• Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Why start a new thread on a subject that has already been discussed here

Simple, because some of the data in the old thread could now be out of date. So it should stay in the crypt where it belongs.

Your reply pushes a zombie thread to the top of the screen where somebody who didn't spot the old dates could assume it's a current discussion and act on out of date information. Which could have unfortunate consequences when the topic is free travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

coylemj wrote: »
    Simple, because some of the data in the old thread could now be out of date. So it should stay in the crypt where it belongs.

Your reply pushes a zombie thread to the top of the screen where somebody who didn't spot the old dates could assume it's a current discussion and act on out of date information. Which could have unfortunate consequences when the topic is free travel.

The information was 10,000% out of date! To the point where virtually nothing any of the posters said was any longer true (including 1-2 where it wasn't true even then). There were 100 more recent FT threads you could have replied to including several I started myself. This was a bizzare choice.

Since this zombie is out there, and misinformation and urban legends on welfare in this country, esp FT, are ubiquitous (my personal fav is "this will bankrupt the country" :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D) I think some corrections/updates are in order lest any of the utter horsesh1t above be regarded as correct information:

-The cardboard passes are no longer issued and are about to all expire, so anyone who has not changed over is in trouble. I've seen a total of TWO since 2015. It's all done using a live tracked PSC card now, same as your own cards but for the yellow FT (+P, +S or +C) in the corner.

-You can get FT return, single and open returns on rail (cross border tickets are usually open return by default) from any station on the island to any station on the island. You can't get monthly tickets, I have no earthly idea why though.

-You can a book a seat online with them now for a small fee on INTERCITY and ENTERPRISE.

-According to updated bye laws you need to use the card the same way as a LEAP card inside the SHZ and you need a ticket (the grey ones) outside the SHZ. Technically, if you have the PSC card with you on the Cork train, but no grey ticket, they are allowed take the PSC card off you and fine you same way as a fare evader. I dunno if they would, but I'm told there is the odd power trip nutter who would so be careful.

-You can book a ticket on it's own without a seat with Enterprise and NI local rail through the TRANSLINK website (this would be very helpful down south). Translink also allows you to get a Bangor/Larne/Coleraine/DERRY to Dublin Connoly ticket but IE won't let you book a ticket the reverse direction via their website, only a return from the booking offices...IE won't even let you book a DART station to an INTERCITY station down south using their website, which has always irritated the hell out of me (this goes for all tickets FT or not).

-There is a bizarre anomaly on the Enterprise bookings. If you want to get the FT ticket through the booking offices, you have to fill out this travel warrant form that includes the card number (though people keep putting in the PPS number which is the wrong thing to do) and your address etc I assume it's part of how they share the DSP block grant BUT if you book Dublin Connoly-Belfast Central ONLINE (cos god knows you can't book from your DART station that might be helpful) and you pick the option of "book seat only" the website does not ask you for your card number, and neither does the Translink website when you book through those. You just go to your local DART station print your ticket and that's enough to skip the journey out past the barriers to the office, you can just take the sharp left and go right to Platform 2..I always found this odd. It does help though if your transfer times tight and you know you won't have time to fart around at that desk waiting in a que.

-You can't get the FT tickets from the vending machines, it would help if you could just punch in the card number and be issued one that way. It would also be helpful (for all passengers not just FT ones )if these machines had the same "any station to any station" options as the ticket offices machines there is no reason why they should not.

-You can book your FT ticket on the bus on the Translink website (though not a return, stupidly) but you not only cannot book an FT ticket on the Bus Eireann website, you don't seem to be able to book REGULAR tickets half the time on BE these days :rolleyes: it keeps telling me all services on all routes are booked out...even months ahead...:rolleyes:

-You cannot get return FT tickets on the bus. They claim this is because of fraud, but that makes not a jot of sense, because someone could do the same with a return rail ticket. All any staff in doubt need do is ask you for your chipcard as happens me a lot more now since I've returned to full health and look quite fit youthful and non-disabled (though as I've pointed out before judging someones health by how they look can be misleading, they are still entitled to ask you for the ID though), so they just ask to see your ID card. The rules require you to have it with you all the time, if you don't, then the paper tickets not valid anyway. So I really really don't get this ''no return'' thing on busses.

-There are no ticket desks in BusAras, since BE nearly went out of businesses and were hemorrhaging money they seem to have eliminated them and replaced them with machines. You can't get an FT ticket from these machines either. If it's a Bus Eireann journey, you tag your card on the drivers machine same as with any other BE or NTA service. If it's a Translink service the driver has a booklet he has to fill out (and half the time he'll write the PPS number into the book not the card number, because nobody seems to have told anyone the difference, I often wonder if this affects how the block grants paid out and if this messes things up)

-Your fares don't fund the Free Travel program. They did de-facto subsidize it for a time during the recession because the DSP underpaid the operators, but that's been corrected in the last few budgets. Free Travel is paid out of the DSP budget as another social protection program same as Disability or Jobseekers (in fact it's the cheapest welfare program in the states history and research suggests it's a net break even or net gain to the state in healthcare savings). Interestingly, if it was eliminated in the morning, BE would lose 18% of it's revenue, IE would lose 8%, Luas 9% and DB/GA 11%, some of that would be compensated for by essential journeys undertaken by former FT users generating fare revenue, but it would come nowhere near close to covering for it, that money would not go to the NTA since it does not come from there to begin with. The Minister for Social Protection would just find him/her self with a few 100million extra to devote to something else, and the fares might even go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

You MUST fill out to warrant form for cross border, Irish Rail DO NOT issue FT tickets online, they issue seat reservations which have no meaning as a ticket and are not valid

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

You MUST fill out to warrant form for cross border, Irish Rail DO NOT issue FT tickets online, they issue seat reservations which have no meaning as a ticket and are not valid

Someone should tell their staff.

They might also put that on the actual website...or they could actually just make things easier for the customer and allow them to be issued online.

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    Someone should tell their staff.

They might also put that on the actual website...or they could actually just make things easier for the customer and allow them to be issued online.

It is on the website when you go an purchase a seat only ticket. You still need to go with proof of free travel to the ticket office. It saves unnecessary hassle on the trains if someone with no proof of free travel gets approached on a train with a seat reservation only ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

So I'd have to get one ticket in Dublin to northern ireland, then another ticket to Dublin back from northern ireland?

no. went up to belfast a year ago with my FTP and the way it works is you get into connolly station.
    You have to fill in a form for translink at the ticket counter in Connolly Station and that covers you up and back on the train.
    Make sure that read that form carefully when signing it.

Good luck
    :)

Advertisement