Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

restaurant for a very small wedding - suitable for kids!

• 30-10-2012 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi,

My fiance and I are looking to get married in about 3 months - we will only have 10 people there + 4 kids - strictly close family, it's a very small party!

It might be small, but I'd love to celebrate properly - maybe have it in a nice restaurant for a really good evening meal?

The thing is, I'm a bit concerned about having 4 young children there (7, 5, 4 and 1). There is no chance they will sit quietly for the duration of the dinner! I really want them to be there (as 2 of them are my own, they have to be a part of it!), but I hate the thought of them roaming in a lovely restaurant while other punters are trying to enjoy their dinner.

I don't know if there is a place that has a small private room maybe? or if we went to a nice place that had rooms where the kids could crash and the rest of our party could stay?

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

maybe a small function room in a hotel?
    alot of hotels have small private dining rooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I çan recommend a few places around Cork. Flemings, Fota House, there are plenty of hotels with private dining rooms as well but... you don't say where you are looking for. Are you in Cork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Lots of restaurants have private dining rooms

Hotels too

You won't struggle to find somewhere

But where in the country are you so we can give recommendations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

mar12345 wrote: »
    Hi,

My fiance and I are looking to get married in about 3 months - we will only have 10 people there + 4 kids - strictly close family, it's a very small party!

It might be small, but I'd love to celebrate properly - maybe have it in a nice restaurant for a really good evening meal?

The thing is, I'm a bit concerned about having 4 young children there (7, 5, 4 and 1). There is no chance they will sit quietly for the duration of the dinner! I really want them to be there (as 2 of them are my own, they have to be a part of it!), but I hate the thought of them roaming in a lovely restaurant while other punters are trying to enjoy their dinner.

I don't know if there is a place that has a small private room maybe? or if we went to a nice place that had rooms where the kids could crash and the rest of our party could stay?

Any suggestions? Thanks!

where are you looking for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Tenner on southside Dublin. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 mar12345

Pwurple you got your tenner :-)

I am in Dublin, but my fiance's family are in Waterford and Kilkenny, so I don't mind traveling... Anywhere south of Galway/Dublin!

I had a look online at Brooklodge in Wicklow, and Renvyle House in Connemara, it sounds like the right kind of place - a bit pricey, but who knows, they might discount if we go midweek? The food looks great tho... Maybe we could rent 5 rooms for everyone, and have a babysitter to take the kids to a room when they get restless... Still trying to get my head around it :-)

Flemings, great idea! I went to a wedding there a few years ago and it was fab... It's now on the list!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭clint_silver

mar12345 wrote: »
    Pwurple you got your tenner :-)

I am in Dublin, but my fiance's family are in Waterford and Kilkenny, so I don't mind traveling... Anywhere south of Galway/Dublin!

I had a look online at Brooklodge in Wicklow, and Renvyle House in Connemara, it sounds like the right kind of place - a bit pricey, but who knows, they might discount if we go midweek? The food looks great tho... Maybe we could rent 5 rooms for everyone, and have a babysitter to take the kids to a room when they get restless... Still trying to get my head around it :-)

If you're talking that kind of a budget then Deffo recommend getting a baby sitter, you'll have a great peace of mind being able to relax and not worry about the kids getting bored.
    get a second table near you, or adjacent room, setup with coloring, puzzles, toys, Xbox, kids movies. Anything to keep them entertained. Just make them not bored.

If its 3 months from now than you can't rely on irish weather so ignore any outside facilities.

I would definitely recommend brooklodge. I went to a very small (15 people) wedding there in June.

They have a private dining room, the food was the best I've ever eaten. It was a banquet with so many types of beautiful food. 15 courses or something. Amazing!

We then went to their private bar which was ours for the night and the bride and groom had their own music ready to play on their iPods! It was a great day/night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

Brooklodge is beautiful and have a "church"-like building for civil weddings too. Renvyle House is also an amazing venue for a wedding. Went there last winter for a wedding and it was so cosy with a roaring fire and xmas decorations.

• Advertisement

That's great, thanks a mill for your feedback! I think we're on the right track, I'm so excited :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭MauraTheThird

I went to a small wedding in Renvyle House two summers ago. The food is INCREDIBLE there! Best part of the day :D There was a games room very close by the dining room where the kids could relax, play games or watch a film. We were teenagers and it kept us entertained :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Bid08

+1 for the brooklodge - food is amazing there

if that is slightly too pricey - the Amber Springs in Gorey have a private dining room and also a play area and xbox room for kids

Advertisement