Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wake on LAN Help

• 08-02-2012 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

So I managed to get Wake on LAN working when im on the local network last night using my phone, it works perfectly.

However when I am on an external network I cannot wake the computer.

I have currently forwarded port 9 to my PC (though how does the router know which one when the computer is off (static ip configured))

I have DynDns sorted on the modem to forward the external ip to a hostname and I have pinged said host and it is correctly pointing to my connection. I also know that its correct as I can access the modem remote management (albeit user name and password isnt working for unknown reason on remote only)

I have correctly entered the MAC address of the computer to be woken so I am now at a loss as to why I cannot get it to wake.

Any suggestions?

My router is the Thomson Modem / Router UPC provide with 100meg connections.

Thanks,
    Fionn

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

WoL tool allows you to wake a computer remotely over the Internet through a browser. On this page they indicate UDP port 9 is what the tool uses, but as of this writing the magic packet is actually sent through UDP port 32767. So, if you're using this tool be sure to forward port 32767 through the router.

Try opening port 32767 to UDP too.

Also, you may need to assign a static IP address to your pc by MAC address to ensure that it's always the same IP address, so that when you open port 32767 it gets routed to eg. 192.168.1.102

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Thanks ill try that tonight, I have a static IP configured in Windows there is no method that I am aware of on the Modem of forwarding to a MAC address though.

Okay so to come back to this,

I had the WoL working externally for a time but it randomly stops working for no apparent reason. I have the right IP and MAC address and the ports are forwarded correctly but it will not wake.

I can then log into the router/modem (on the local network) and it will start working again so I assume that the router is blocking it somehow? Its a UPC Thomson modem / router. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

never actually tried it, i have WoL on my router, so i log into that remotely and use it from there to wake up PC's on the LAN and it works every time. not the solution you are looking for i know, but it might be something to think about for the future.

vibe666 wrote: »
    never actually tried it, i have WoL on my router, so i log into that remotely and use it from there to wake up PC's on the LAN and it works every time. not the solution you are looking for i know, but it might be something to think about for the future.

I would if I could but my router doesn't have the option and I dont really have the money or the inclination to buy a new one. Ill struggle on im sure :)

• Advertisement

if its a regular thing, would it be feasible to set a wake alarm in the bios of the pc('s) in question?

Nah its just when and if I wanted to wake it to remote desktop in.

did you try a low power suspend instead of a shutdown? might be more reliable that way maybe?

Will try that tonight and see if it makes any odd's, cheers :)

depending on your motherboard, it should support various suspend states, so give them all a test drive and see how you go. :)

• Advertisement

Thing is it will ALWAYS wake when im on the local network... so that leads me to believe it might be the modem / router blocking it?

fionny wrote: »
    Thing is it will ALWAYS wake when im on the local network... so that leads me to believe it might be the modem / router blocking it?
    could well be. can you get remote access to the router?

i was just wondering if you could do that, maybe a reboot of the router before the WOL request might fix the problem? probably like using a hammer to put in a screw, but it might work. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭freelancerTax

the reason it seems to work randomly is because after a certain amount of time when you shut down the computer the router "forgets" the machine and no longer routes packets to it , to solve this you simply need to force tbe router to send the wake up packet to all devices attached to it

you can do this by forwarding to the broadcast address of your network
    this is usually as follows

if your ip is 192.168.1.x then the broadcast address is likely 192.168.1.255
    but it will depend how your router is configured
    so you should be able to port forward to that address instead of the machines ip and it shold work all the time

works for me anyway :)

@Vibe666:

I cant log into the router externally because for some reason the Username and Password are different to when you log in on the local network and I cannot find hide nor hair for it. I even posted on boards and got nada.

@FreelancerTax

I will try that solution out and come back to you :)

Hmm right I cannot seem to forward to 192.168.0.255 it just keeps reverting when i click save.

There is a port filtering option... though the wording is confusing me:

Port Filtering : This page allows configuration of port filters in order to block specific internet services to all devices on the LAN.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭freelancerTax

hi
    no its portfowarding - some routers do not allow forwarding to the broadcast address - mine didnt - what i had to do was create another broadcast address using telnet - i used 192.168.0.254 and forward to that - not sure how you do that with your particular router though :)

ft

Damn, I reckon you are on the money with whats going on.

This is what I have: Thompson Broadband Router (UPC) Model: TWG870
    There is a technician calling out today for a seperate problem so I might see if he has any ideas (though I dont hold out much hope there)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

How's the visit?

I'm fighting the same problem on UPC 100Mb Thomson router. WOL works fine for a short time (local LAN and mobile), but stops after a while and then doesn't works even from local lan.

I'm using magic packet & port forwardnig on port 40000.

PrzemoF wrote: »
    How's the visit?

I'm fighting the same problem on UPC 100Mb Thomson router. WOL works fine for a short time (local LAN and mobile), but stops after a while and then doesn't works even from local lan.

I'm using magic packet & port forwardnig on port 40000.

I never got it working on the Thomson, luckily ive literally only today been given a new modem (cisco) thanks to the endless trouble I have had with 2 seperate thomsons (my brothers thomson didnt work properly either)

I will let you know if it works on that or not.

Perfect timing :D

Is there an option to have something different than the thomson on 100Mb?

• Advertisement

PrzemoF wrote: »
    Perfect timing :D

Is there an option to have something different than the thomson on 100Mb?

Yes they have new one the Cisco EPC3925

My thomson kept rebooting at random times and on 2 seperate occasions reset itself to factory settings, i had 2 different units and both did the same thing as did my brothers thomson.

Unfortunatley the modem still "forgets" the PC it seems as after around an hour I could no longer wake the computer remotely.

Is it a bit more configurable?
    I'm thinking about implementing that [1] solution (static arp to bradcast) , but not a chance to do it on thomson.

Have you seen an option to broadcast packet? That could work even if the router "forgets" the PC.

[1] http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WOL

No you cannot do this on this router either, remote managment does work on it though which is a distinct improvement on the ****ty thomson one.

DD-WRT is a much more advanced setup then on most of this bits of hardware however installing it on a UPC owned piece of hardware is not an option.

Advertisement