Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Every other year, if I got a new book I could start reading it straight away. This year however, JK Rowling's first book since Harry Potter comes out and even though I got it as soon as it came out and it is sitting on my desk this very moment, I can't start reading it until tonight which is KILLING me all because I have a physics test tomorrow, and too much homework. That's my rant for the day. :)

Today is the day? EEEEEK. Going to download it right now, having a Kindle is a beautiful thing. Not sure how I'll find the time to read a book with this workload but I'll make a start tonight anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

Slow Show wrote: »
    Today is the day? EEEEEK. Going to download it right now, having a Kindle is a beautiful thing. Not sure how I'll find the time to read a book with this workload but I'll make a start tonight anyway. :)

Yupp! Today is the day! :) In easons they gave out two free books with it too, so that's always cool. No matter how much I try, I can't get used to the idea of a kindle. I like the feeling of having the book in my hand! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Does anyone else go on a retreat in lc"

Yupp! Today is the day! :) In easons they gave out two free books with it too, so that's always cool. No matter how much I try, I can't get used to the idea of a kindle. I like the feeling of having the book in my hand! :)

Aww reminds me of when I got Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and I got a bag loaded with stuff with it, good times :'). I used to think the same but then I got one and I love it so much, wish I could get more use out of it this year though, really finding that I don't have enough spare time these days and when I do I'm far too tired to read. :/ Bleh, Amazon price is annoyingly high, might just wait until the weekend until I can get a physical copy now!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

Aww reminds me of when I got Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and I got a bag loaded with stuff with it, good times :'). I used to think the same but then I got one and I love it so much, wish I could get more use out of it this year though, really finding that I don't have enough spare time these days and when I do I'm far too tired to read. :/ Bleh, Amazon price is annoyingly high, might just wait until the weekend until I can get a physical copy now!

Yeah! Memories! I remember queuing up for the Deathly Hallows dressed as Hermione at midnight getting a bag load of stuff too! :-) The normal price is like 28 euro! Easons had it half price though for the hard back :)

Does anyone have a teacher like this - My physics teacher will read through, just read, a whole chapter in one class e.g. Sound and then will make us learn the whole chapter for a verbal test for the next class. She also told us we should be getting up at 6am every morning to study for two hours (which I don't mind in moderation but then she said....) and you should all be studying until 10 o clock at night. Like seriously?!! We need a life!! Her response to our looks of utter shock was "welcome to 6th year. We all had to do it, now it's your turn" :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Does anyone else go on a retreat in lc"
    Both JC and LC are offered it, it's almost universal with the the JC's to go but very few of the LC's go, only the ones looking for a day off school.

Does anyone have a teacher like this - My physics teacher will read through, just read, a whole chapter in one class e.g. Sound and then will make us learn the whole chapter for a verbal test for the next class. She also told us we should be getting up at 6am every morning to study for two hours (which I don't mind in moderation but then she said....) and you should all be studying until 10 o clock at night. Like seriously?!! We need a life!! Her response to our looks of utter shock was "welcome to 6th year. We all had to do it, now it's your turn" :eek:
    I plan on doing it after the pres, now's a bit premature, won't make a massive difference regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Classof2013

Why do I always have 2 or 3 tests every single Friday? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Poufsouffle

I really want to get The Casual Vacancy tomorrow after school but I know I won't do any work if I do get it, I will literally read for the whole weekend (or until I finish it) instead of doing any study so I have to wait until Sunday evening :(
    Kindles scare me, I like paper, also I'd probably break it. I have a tendancy to drop elecctronic devices like my phone (which i literally drop on a daily basis) and my laptop and also remote controls. :o

My school does retreats for TYs and 5th years, most emotional weekend ever, it taught me never ever to judge people by appearances.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

I think some of you might be disappointed by The Casual Vacancy..

I don't think the reason the Harry Potter series became such a success was because of JK Rowling's style of writing.. it was the world she created..

The setting and story for this seems so.. bland? I've seen that it's getting pretty mixed reviews, although it will obviously sell loads because of the name on the front cover. :p

• Advertisement

Went for a run at about 18:30 today and after I can safely say I had one of the most productive days of study so far, I love the way running just clears my head so well!

0mega wrote: »
    I think some of you might be disappointed by The Casual Vacancy..

I don't think the reason the Harry Potter series became such a success was because of JK Rowling's style of writing.. it was the world she created..

The setting and story for this seems so.. bland? I've seen that it's getting pretty mixed reviews, although it will obviously sell loads because of the name on the front cover. :p

I expected to be disappointed tbf but like it's JK Rowling, gotta give it a go anyway. :p Now I have the slightly random desire to go re-read Harry Potter. And I can't. This year sucks. :(

TGIF! To continue on the disaster that is Project Maths, according to our teacher Folens haven't even seen a sample paper from the SEC on which to base theirs. She reckons the SEC will be much more conservative and careful in how they set the paper this year than last.

TGIF! To continue on the disaster that is Project Maths, according to our teacher Folens haven't even seen a sample paper from the SEC on which to base theirs.

Not to mention the amount of questions that don't work out or are phrased wrong, the wrong answers at the back or the section on sampling they left out of our book.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Seriously Folens should start handing out refunds for the absolute catastrophe that is their book, arguably as bad as the SEC's mistakes.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

New Concise Project Maths have a heap of wrong answers in the back of the book too..
    I suppose its the work of an ultra rushed book though

Not to mention the amount of questions that don't work out or are phrased wrong, the wrong answers at the back or the section on sampling they left out of our book.........

A lot of the time our teacher will simply tell use to ignore whatever question because it's poorly phrased or the answer is wrong or the question doesn't make sense.

Now in fairness I really don't think Folens or any of the other publishing companies are to blame, it is ridiculous to think that we are here in 6th year and not know what shape the exam is gonna take next June. This idea of a phased roll-out was ridiculous, it should've been a case that First Years do the whole thing all the way through, that way there would have been plenty of time for publishers to make books and everyone would know what to expect in the exam, and the older years continue on the course they did for Junior Cert, it is absolute insanity to have some years having done the old Junior Cert course and then trying to do Project Maths for Leaving. It has made the course so much more packed for us seeing as we now HAVE to do, for example, probability from the very start, while older years didn't have to do it at all and years after us will have done started it in the Junior Cycle so they won't have as much to do in Leaving Cert.

I've just seen christmas stock in Woodies. Safe to say I'll be avoiding there for the next 2 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

Paper 1 project Maths is a very, very scary thought :eek: If the whole idea is trying to make stuff realistic, I have no idea what they're going to do for stuff like algebra and complex numbers which have absolutely no real life applications. It was bad enough last year with probability and statistics and things that were genuinely useful but how they're going to do this year is beyond me! Properly terrified of maths this year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

^^^ I agree with all this, plus the constant syllabus changes don't help!

Is anyone using the text and tests series of books? We're doing stats atm, book told us one method to use when finding the upper ad lower quartile... 0.25(n+1) etc... and you get told its value 13.25 or something, get the mean of the 13th and 14th value etc... Grand we'll do it that way so..

Go to do the questions... What?? Turns out the questions' answers have you rounding up or down, number 13.25 becomes numbe 13. So all our answers are wrong and we don't know what method to do. As it turns out the rounding up/down method (the more logical one my entire class and teacher decided) is NOT what the SEC want us to do...

Typical.

*edited for clarity, Soz guys :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

It's people doing project Maths in two or three years time I feel most sorry for. It'll be marked fairly generously for us so project maths is a "big success"... :rolleyes: and students can't complain about how it's unorganized etc...

From 2015 on (when they have it all sorted out) it will be marked much harder. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

Cruel Sun wrote: »
    It's people doing project Maths in two or three years time I feel most sorry for. It'll be marked fairly generously for us so project maths is a "big success"... :rolleyes: and students can't complain about how it's unorganized etc...

From 2015 on (when they have it all sorted out) it will be marked much harder. . .

I certainly feckin' hope so :pac:

http://www.examinations.ie/schools/Project_Maths_Phase3_Paper_I_Higher_Level.pdf

Good God what are they doing with complex numbers? :eek: Had heard there was going to be less algebra and that certainly seems to be true. Not good cos that used to be a nice couple of questions. This should be fun :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

going to the all Ireland Sunday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Does anyone know when the maths papers will be out?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

Does anyone know when the maths papers will be out?

If ever? :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

We are totally fúcked.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

decisions wrote: »
    We are totally fúcked.
    tumblr_mamrjlRyOB1qhnyu7.gif

I certainly feckin' hope so :pac:

http://www.examinations.ie/schools/Project_Maths_Phase3_Paper_I_Higher_Level.pdf

Good God what are they doing with complex numbers? :eek: Had heard there was going to be less algebra and that certainly seems to be true. Not good cos that used to be a nice couple of questions. This should be fun :cool:

Looking at the complex numbers (b)(ii) I feel like I should know what to do but at the same time I'm slightly stumped. I can name all the points (if I tried to explain I think I'd confuse everyone including myself, but it's fairly straightforward I think if you've done the rotations section) but how does one find the approximate value of k when no numbers are given? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

This is all the work I need to have done by the end of weekend:
    • Irish essay
    • English essay
    • Spanish essay
    • Study Migration and human influence on rivers
    • Study Redox titrations,Acid base titrations and organic chem
    • Photosynthesis,respiration and genetics for Biology

Good God.....At least I have some done so far :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

David1994 wrote: »