Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is it risky to use P2P in Ireland?

• 27-07-2014 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi, I recently moved to Ireland from Germany. Thing is there you get serious fines in case of using any kind of P2P, so I would like to know if it's the same in Ireland. I know people got fines but I guess that if I'm not torrenting David Guetta's latest but something really unknown I won't get any problems... am I right?

I don't really enjoy illegal downloads, but I need digital backup for the vinyls I buy and most of them don't have vouchers for free mp3 downloads.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

forumcars wrote: »
    Hi, I recently moved to Ireland from Germany. Thing is there you get serious fines in case of using any kind of P2P, so I would like to know if it's the same in Ireland. I know people got fines but I guess that if I'm not torrenting David Guetta's latest but something really unknown I won't get any problems... am I right?

I don't really enjoy illegal downloads, but I need digital backup for the vinyls I buy and most of them don't have vouchers for free mp3 downloads.

Yeah we believe you, it's for "backups" only.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭td2008

its fine

• Registered Users Posts: 17 forumcars

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Yeah we believe you, it's for "backups" only.

LOL that's really the reason, I actually use Spotify too but doesn't work as backup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Irish law is very underdeveloped in this area. You won't have any problems.

What do you need the 'backups' for?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭bedrock#1

i have been ripping tunes from youtube lately and soulseeking what i can, something i never do as i normally rip my new vinyls for listening in the car etc. but my soundcard is knackered so needs must!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭nala_rinaldo

if you upload a video to youtube with a song, or a background song the only country that song won’t come up is germany. so it tells you

• Registered Users Posts: 17 forumcars

Irish law is very underdeveloped in this area. You won't have any problems.

What do you need the 'backups' for?

In case my vinyls or the player eventually break. Most of the records bring a download code for the MP3 version but some don't. So there's nothing illegal about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

In case my vinyls or the player eventually break.

What's more likely? Your vinyls and turntables breaking, or your computer or hard-drive crashing? Many people prefer vinyls and CDs because they don't trust mp3s. You're the first person I've met that doesn't trust vinyl.
    Most of the records bring a download code for the MP3 version but some don't. So there's nothing illegal about it.

If the vinyl comes with mp3s then you've legally come into possession of those digital files. If it doesn't, and you download those files elsewhere, then it is illegal. I don't have a problem with you pirating music. It's none of my business. But be honest with yourself about what you're doing.

Advertisement