Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cheap Chinese ditch finders

• 16-03-2012 8:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭

There's a lot of guff talked about unbranded tyres on this forum.

Is there any real proof that these tyres wear faster or don't grip as well as branded European ones.

And before you all start I don't want a load of links to boards threads or worse, something like the Audi divers club forum. Something like a proper empirical study or even a newspaper article would be nice.

Or the classic "well I make tyres for a living in real life and I know"

It seems to me it's all talk. Along the lines of "the new corolla is made in turkey it must be unreliable"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Is there any real proof that these tyres wear faster or don't grip as well as branded European ones.

And before you all start I don't want a load of links to boards threads or worse, something like the Audi divers club forum. Something like a proper empirical study or even a newspaper article would be nice.

It seems to me it's all talk. Along the lines of "the new corolla is made in turkey it must be unreliable"

Buy a set of them for your car and then go out for a good hard drive on a wet road. When your finished let us know what the guff is about, thats if your still alive...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭kirving

There is certainly a difference, and any difference whatsoever could be the difference between life or death some time. Even 99% isn't always good enough. In reality the difference between two brands depends on a multitude of factors. Well respected brands can still be bought for not much more than rubbish ones, especially when you consider part-worns.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2011-Autobild-Max-Performance-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm
    and reviews from people the have spent money on lower quality tyres
    http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Linglong/L688.htm

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Triangle/TR968.htm

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Wanli/S1088.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

-Corkie- wrote: »

Buy a set of them for your car and then go out for a good hard drive on a wet road. When your finished let us know what the guff is about, thats if your still alive...

"If I'm still alive" seriously?

Maybe it's just that I don't drive like a dick, but I've been perfectly happy on them for years.

I suspect you'd change your tune if it was triangle tyres with a load of hoardings at Anfield or on the side of an f1 car and passing the expense of that on to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

As someone who once bought a set of triangles I second Corkies comment 100%. Go buy them and drive on a wet road. All the evidence you'll ever need.

Edit as you just posted...

So your driving on them already and don't notice a difference ? I can't believe that
    any competent driver who likes his cars and enjoys driving wouldn't notice how crap they are.There's not driving like a dick and there's driving like a granny. The latter is annoying for other drivers.

• Advertisement

There is certainly a difference, and any difference whatsoever could be the difference between life or death some time. Even 99% isn't always good enough. In reality the difference between two brands depends on a multitude of factors. Well respected brands can still be bought for not much more than rubbish ones, especially when you consider part-worns.

That video seems to slam part worn tyres.

It also seems to say that the fulda tyres are perfectly acceptable under the worst conditions.

:)
    "If I'm still alive" seriously?

Maybe it's just that I don't drive like a dick, but I've been perfectly happy on them for years.

I suspect you'd change your tune if it was triangle tyres with a load of hoardings at Anfield or on the side of an f1 car and passing the expense of that on to you.

I have no idea what you are rabbling on about. If you are happy with them thats great.

I have no idea what you are rabbling on about. If you are happy with them thats great.

What I'm rabbiting on about is that this seems to be a situation where massive advertising has created an image around certain brands that is meaningless.

All tyres sold on this country meet the same safety standards.

Some people seem to believe that European corporations who manufacture tyres will go above and beyond that safety standard, and also that other brands will be below it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

So what brand are you on?
    If you share your experiences with us of the different ones you've tried and how you found them, we might be able to respond in an intelligent manner, so far it's just a rant.
    I've had Kormorans and found them to be very good, but won't be buying them again, because they have paper-thin sidewall and will get punctured by a match, I'm living in the country where there is a lot of hedge cutting going on, so they're no good for me.
    At the moment I have Semperit Speedlife fitted, so far so good, their handling seems to be a bit spongy, but they do hold onto the road.
    For my next set I would like some tires that are grippy, good in the wet and on the motorway and are hard wearing.
    Give us facts and ask us questions, you'd be surprised, we might even answer!;)

Something like a proper empirical study or even a newspaper article would be nice.

Some of them are worse than others and the worst ARE bloody dangerous.

I have first hand experience of what a single triangle ditch finder can do to handling but if you dont want to trust the overwhelming number of reports by car enthusiasts that they are rubbish......well....cant help you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They tend to wear slower than better tyres. They are as bad as people say. I've had sideways action from a 1.4 auris on Triangles. this was at low speeds, completely caught me on the hop as I'd driven hundreds of auriss at that stage, most on the factory tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

There is certainly a difference, and any difference whatsoever could be the difference between life or death some time. Even 99% isn't always good enough.
    That's true in principle, but how far do you go with it? Dedicated summer & winter tyres from a premium manufacturer is only the start - do you also replace them once they're slightly past their best, even if they've still got 7mm left? For most of us, 99% (or even a bit less) has to be good enough.

Although I drove a Volvo on Triangles lately, and it was scary enough.

What I'm rabbiting on about is that this seems to be a situation where massive advertising has created an image around certain brands that is meaningless.

All tyres sold on this country meet the same safety standards.

Some people seem to believe that European corporations who manufacture tyres will go above and beyond that safety standard, and also that other brands will be below it.

I never buy tyres from advertising I buy them from recomendations from others. I had a car with 4 Triangles on it and it handled like a greasy weasle and the road noise was brutal.

I changed them for 4 Vredstrein Ultracs which were recomended by several people. The car was completely different with no road noise..

Chriscl1 wrote: »

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2011-Autobild-Max-Performance-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm
    and reviews from people the have spent money on lower quality tyres
    http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Linglong/L688.htm

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Triangle/TR968.htm

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Wanli/S1088.htm

Thanks for the links. Interesting reading.

Some of the reviews seem balanced others are borderline racist though. The first one in the top link openly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Been there, done that with cheap chinese tyres. Won't be doing it again.
    (unfortunately sometimes you just get landed with them if you buy a car with them on)
    or worse, something like the Audi divers club forum.
    At least you didn't say "VAG divers club" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭kirving

Anan1 wrote: »
    That's true in principle, but how far do you go with it? Dedicated summer & winter tyres from a premium manufacturer is only the start - do you also replace them once they're slightly past their best, even if they've still got 7mm left? For most of us, 99% (or even a bit less) has to be good enough.

Sorry yeah, what I means was that there is so many difference all over, tyre are only one of them - and that anything can be regarded as a life/death decision if you take it in isolation. 100 vs 105kph, tracking out, worn suspension, etc. There will be people who say that they only ever put the best tyres in the world on their car.

Good tyres are only part of the equation, but the aim is to get something decent, and avoid the crap.

Sorry yeah, what I means was that there is so many difference all over, tyre are only one of them - and that anything can be regarded as a life/death decision if you take it in isolation. 100 vs 105kph, tracking out, worn suspension, etc. There will be people who say that they only ever put the best tyres in the world on their car.

Good tyres are only part of the equation, but the aim is to get something decent, and avoid the crap.

Tyres, steering and brakes are the most important factors in safety. Both steering and brakes also rely on good tyres so for me it all comes down to decent tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭jsd1004

This is a bit of a silly debate. What constitutes a good tyre or a bad tyre? Is a Pirelli P6000 a ditch finder because it has less grip than a Michelin Pilot Supersport. Should we all be made buy tyres that only last a 1000 miles cost 300euros a corner but grip like **** to a cows hole. I have driven a car with 4 triangles and it was appalling in the wet (good fun though) I knew that though and drove accordingly and to the conditions. The tyres were reasonable in the dry however. I have another car with semi slick Yokahama A088 that are dangerous in the wet but grip like hell once warm in the dry and i drive accordingly. A lot of people who find ditches should consider their driving style and their knowledge of their car and equipment before blaming one particular component.

jsd1004 wrote: »
    This is a bit of a silly debate. What constitutes a good tyre or a bad tyre? Is a Pirelli P6000 a ditch finder because it has less grip than a Michelin Pilot Supersport. Should we all be made buy tyres that only last a 1000 miles cost 300euros a corner but grip like **** to a cows hole.

Common sense applies.
    I have driven a car with 4 triangles and it was appalling in the wet (good fun though) I knew that though and drove accordingly and to the conditions.

You can drive accordingly all you like but if you need to stop quickly, and at some point you will, I just hope i'm not the one in front of you.
    A lot of people who find ditches should consider their driving style and their knowledge of their car and equipment before blaming one particular component.

Equipment is paramount when it comes to safety. Unless your saying that seatbelts, ABS etc are all irrelevant ?

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭kerten

Should we all be made buy tyres that only last a 1000 miles cost 300euros a corner but grip like **** to a cows hole.

Nope, we should buy a tyre with decent grip for 10-15 euro more than cheapest available dangerous tyre.

Decent doesn't mean Michelin, Continental, Bridgestone, Goodyear, Pirelli only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

You don't want links to forums containing threads started by people with real world experience? but you are happy with newspaper articles? The news paper would be the last place i'd look for tyre/motoring advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Thanks for the links. Interesting reading.

Some of the reviews seem balanced others are borderline racist though. The first one in the top link openly so.

Indeed, tyre racism is an increasing problem. Why only the other day I saw a set of Triangles being kicked by an unfeeling racist with anger issues.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

kerten wrote: »
    Nope, we should buy a tyre with decent grip for 10-15 euro more than cheapest available dangerous tyre.

Decent doesn't mean Michelin, Continental, Bridgestone, Goodyear, Pirelli only.

+1
    Some people think most expensive always=best
    That's why it is important to know what you want from a tire, be it outright grip and feck everything else, or main point good on wet, longevity over everything else, different tires do different things and the best tire for a certain purpose might not even be the most expensive or most recognisable brand name.
    But as always, if you buy chaep shyte, that's what you're gonna get.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭jsd1004

Swanner wrote: »
    Common sense applies.

If a tyre is legal please expand on how common sense applies. People buy on price. Like everything if you buy cheapest of something you will always get the worst performance. There will always be good tyres and bad tyres with or without standards. You should always buy the best tyre you can afford.

You can drive accordingly all you like but if you need to stop quickly, and at some point you will, I just hope i'm not the one in front of you.

Drive to the conditions. We will all need to stop quickly at some stage. Tyres are only one factor. If you cannot stop quickly you are driving too fast. You would be lucky if you were in front of me because i never drive so close to the car in front that i cannot stop safely when the need arises, irrespective of what car i am driving. I hope you do the same. There is no excuse for rear ending someone.

Equipment is paramount when it comes to safety. Unless your saying that seatbelts, ABS etc are all irrelevant ?

Absolutely. I agree. Does that mean we should all drive SUV's and be obliged to wear helmets and full harnesses to improve safety. Equipment is important but knowing your limitations the limitations of your car and its equipment and driving appropriately is also important.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

My Vectra had ditch finders on it and the tinyest bit of standing water on a roundabout would send you sideways.. They are lethal and most average joes pottering around town dont know the difference but the first time they have to brake hard in the wet they will more than likely end up in an accident...

We should do this Mythbusters style at the next motors meet. We should get some ditch finders and some proper tyres and test the stopping distance / ride comfort / handling between the two :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Confab wrote: »
    Indeed, tyre racism is an increasing problem. Why only the other day I saw a set of Triangles being kicked by an unfeeling racist with anger issues.
    Indricotherium has a point - someone with issues with the Chinese can't be trusted to write a balanced review on Chinese tyres. Add in the strong positive correlation between racism and stupidity and i'd personally disregard any overtly racist review.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

A good driver will control their car no matter what tyre is on it in any conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

First hand experience, I know, it's unusual for many posts in Motors offering advice and opinions to be based on it but there you go.

Previous car to my current one had been fitted with cheapo Wanlis by the garage just before I was given it, I got rid of them after a while enough even though they appeared to be brand new after a bit of mileage on them. The slightest bit of damp resulted in traction control constantly kicking in. And this was on a 1.6 Octavia so there was no messing about.

If you google them the first link returned will be a 'beware of' type.

darokane wrote: »
    A good driver will control their car no matter what tyre is on it in any conditions.

...... in an emergency situation better tyres will stop quicker than awful ones, especially in the wet.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

darokane wrote: »

Yes they control their car perfectly by travelling everywhere at 55km/h and pushing it to 95km/h on the motorway

Advertisement