Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What our IMF loan is being spent on

• 18-05-2011 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

301189595.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1305753285&Signature=Zh%2BvYGQkG%2BqaYGETzynU%2BWURpYA%3D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Fake tan by the looks of the state banquet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

donutface wrote: »
    301189595.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1305749140&Signature=97nYddLfajz1Qco%2B8ThiyulxIug%3D

Dunkin' Donuts were doing a "buy one get one free"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Denied access?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

Try again I had to edit it as I was trying to embed
    http://twitpic.com/4zbjdn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Cake and meanies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The money is resting in my account.

Who can we send an email of complaint to about that? I haven't even seen wastage like that during the celtic tiger

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭rorymcgrory

If I could get my hands on some of it I would spend it on sweets...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Am I the only one failing to see what the OP is trying to point out in that picture?

Am I the only one failing to see what the OP is trying to point out in that picture?

I can count 27 Gardai in that picture blocking a road (probably even more that I cant see). 27 paid members of the Gardai - how can you not see that as being wasteful?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

You do acknowledge that they wouldn't have to be there or such vast amounts of money would have to be spent if the dumb out of date arseholes bomb threatening schites weren't such a pain the arse to this nation?

But hey - blame some other people - not in actuality the real people that are to blame for the high cost of security!

I wish some people would kop-on and see the full picture!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I can count 27 Gardai in that picture blocking a road (probably even more that I cant see). 27 paid members of the Gardai - how can you not see that as being wasteful?

I can count 30, go again.

You need far less than 27 guards to prevent a bomb from being planted, and if it does go off 27 guards wont make a blind bit of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Context..it's all about the context. For how long did you hang around after that pic was taken? Ever think that maybe the Guards got wind that a group of protesters etc were on their way?

Not wasteful at all in my opinion - they are carrying out their primary objective which is to stop anyone going past them and on up through that road.

Goes to the Brits and the Germans to pay back the money they gave our banks to start the whole problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

You need far less than 27 guards to prevent a bomb from being planted, and if it does go off 27 guards wont make a blind bit of a difference.
    So if there were 5 Gardai there, and 100 protesters pushed past them and dirtied the Dueen's outfit, you'd be cool with that?

So if there were 5 Gardai there, and 100 protesters pushed past them and dirtied the Dueen's outfit, you'd be cool with that?
    You can't win!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,154 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Wow, you want every Garda on duty during the visit to be under constant seige?
    Context..it's all about the context. For how long did you hang around after that pic was taken? Ever think that maybe the Guards got wind that a group of protesters etc were on their way?

Not wasteful at all in my opinion - they are carrying out their primary objective which is to stop anyone going past them and on up through that road.

Exactly. Bit of reason thank god.

Do what they do in the rest of the world and equip them with rubber bullets. Far cheaper and would be as effective with even half the headcount.

Do what they do in the rest of the world and equip them with rubber bullets. Far cheaper and would be as effective with even half the headcount.
    Its all too easy to say that in hindsight.
    Then we will have the scum of Ireland shouting "Jeasus lads, their arming the Gardi to fire on the people of Ireland".
    Yes, give the scumbags that propaganda ammunition and victory.

As I've said, ya can't win with some people.
    ...At least those unwilling to see a larger picture of truth and reality!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Don't worry, plenty of Irish people have deluded themselves into believing the Queen's visit will be a massive boost to the Irish tourist industry and so will pay for itself :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

And who's to blame for them being required to be there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

And who's to blame for them being required to be there?

Lizzy Windsor and that youseless ould president we have for inviting her over

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Images won't show in AH, I moved this to Cool Pics and changed the OP slightly to show pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

The literal answer is that the EU/IMF loan is simply being put through our banks, which the state/taxpayer are now responsible for, in order to recapitalise the foreign banks/speculators who attempted to profit from, and ultimately fueled, the property boom in this country.
    The Irish state/taxpayer gets to pick up the entire tab and pay interest for the privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,968 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I couldn't find Wally :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Daegerty wrote: »
    Lizzy Windsor and that youseless ould president we have for inviting her over

The gardai are actually protecting our interests, by making sure no harm comes the Queens way. (She is the head of state of our nearest neighbour and largest trading partner.)

Also, the President of Ireland did not come up with an idea herself to invite the Queen, in fact she is not allowed to do or say anything official without prior cabinet approval.

Obviously some people prefer to be constrained by the past, and the future has no interest for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

everlast75 wrote: »
    I couldn't find Wally :(:(:(

Look again, by TheZohan's count, there's 30 of them just standing there, leaning on a barricade fence, when one garda standing there with a walkie talkie would have been sufficient.

i can understand the need for enhanced security, but this in my opinion is a waste of resources. they should AT LEAST look like they are standing guard.

all that picture shows is them leaning on a barricade like the way we used make jokes about council workers leaning on shovels years ago.

Advertisement