Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Questions about buying a new BMW 5 Series F10/F11

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

dahamsta wrote: »
    I've just sold my 9 year old manual 2l diesel Astravan, it was an absolute hoot to drive. If it was auto, I probably wouldn't be here today, having slit my wrists in sheer boredom. If the wife's car was auto I'd probably be living under a bridge, in a cardboard box, divorced and alone. But with a manual, cos I couldn't afford the barge. :)

For the record though, I don't have a problem with autos in general. My barge is an auto, it adds to the delight of the motorway cruise. It's not as much fun on the back roads as it should be though, so I can't see how a 2l auto could be any fun at all, despite their increased power and efficiency. Driving an auto on those roads isn't really driving, it's steering.

But again, each to their own. We all have different interests. Some are drivers, others are motorists.
    I'm a driver. I realise that an Astra diesel is a snore mobile no matter what box it has! :)
    The only properly fun diesel would be a 335Cd, but that's only auto. All others are boring and should be auto! Just because you change gear yourself, doesn't mean it's fun.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

In the past 5 years I've owned an e34 525i, the aforementioned Astravan, a 740i and a 2.2l 520i and 1.9 TDi Passat via the wife. All manual bar the barge. The diesels were by far the most fun to drive on country roads*, and the manual boxes had a huge part to play in that. "Play" being the operative word in that sentence.

The 7 is the best motorway cruiser by a long chalk, it just eats up the miles, and if that's all the driving I ever did I'm not sure I'd ever buy outside that category again; but jesus life would be boring. I didn't move to the country solely for the smell of cowsh1t.

* The BMWs are/were fun, but the diesels were a hoot.

In the past 5 years I've owned an e34 525i, the aforementioned Astravan, a 740i and a 2.2l 520i and 1.9 TDi Passat via the wife. All manual bar the barge. The diesels were by far the most fun to drive on country roads*, and the manual boxes had a huge part to play in that. "Play" being the operative word in that sentence.

The 7 is the best motorway cruiser by a long chalk, it just eats up the miles, and if that's all the driving I ever did I'm not sure I'd ever buy outside that category again; but jesus life would be boring. I didn't move to the country solely for the smell of cowsh1t.

* The BMWs are/were fun, but the diesels were a hoot.
    Diesels are never fun to push on in. Always nose heavy, low revs, narrow power band, sound crap, slow throttle response, heavy and clunky gearbox and heavy flywheel all leads to dull!
    A good manual petrol with a nice engine and gearbox and decent chassis is where it's at on country roads. An Astra van in fairness has none of those things. Your E34 would be the one I'd pick from your list, but if you had that engine in an E36 it'd be better again.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

We have a manual 520d SE in the house the past year or so (with a Disco auto), like it an generally use it if in a hurry! Have not driven and auto 5 so cannot comment but do like the Disco auto and would not buy a big 4x4 in manual.

As for options we have,
    Xenon pack is worth it,
    Comfort lighting is a nice touch,
    We have a black car with the factory tint on the rear windows which is nice,
    18 s are probably a little too hard on the roads we use,
    USB and iphone connection is worth it (although my old iphone just sits in there permanently as music storage since moving to winphone)
    Factory SatNav is good but still too pricy
    Dark headlining is a nice touch

Still amazed by the fuel effeciency of the thing and only hindsight regret is not getting the estate.

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Diesels are never fun to push on in. Always nose heavy, low revs, narrow power band, sound crap, slow throttle response, heavy and clunky gearbox and heavy flywheel all leads to dull!
    A good manual petrol with a nice engine and gearbox and decent chassis is where it's at on country roads. An Astra van in fairness has none of those things. Your E34 would be the one I'd pick from your list, but if you had that engine in an E36 it'd be better again.

Sorry, did you drive all of my cars while I wasn't looking? It sounds like you know more about them than I do. :rolleyes:

I presume you think your opinion is more important than mine, but I'm afraid to me, it isn't. I loved driving my manual diesels. So did my wife. I think we're more qualified to comment, given they were our cars.

• Advertisement

Sorry, did you drive all of my cars while I wasn't looking? It sounds like you know more about them than I do. :rolleyes:

I presume you think your opinion is more important than mine, but I'm afraid to me, it isn't. I loved driving my manual diesels. So did my wife. I think we're more qualified to comment, given they were our cars.
    Oh, my apologies... I didn't realise that your E34 and Astra van were special and different to all others, and I should have driven yours rather than the other lesser models that Opel and BMW produced.
    Any real driving nut will agree with me that diesel sucks for proper enjoyment. You're qualified to prefer them, but that doesn't make it right! I could say that I much prefer driving a 1.9 TDi Golf to a Caterham because it's great for the low down shove out of a corner, but that would be an opinion. It doesn't change the fact that a Caterham is a better handling car.

I apologise sincerely, I didn't realise I was talking to Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savour, whose opinion is Gospel.

Do you need a hand down off that horse?

Do you need a hand down off that horse?
    Yes please, and could you open the door of my fantastic Opel Astra van too please? It's manual don't you know! :D
    I think you need to relax a little!
    We should go back to recommending the F10 to the OP, although he probably has long since made his mind up, rendering this thread useless as well as off topic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

I don't get don't anyone would want a 2l auto, it's just a nonsense to me.

Just as a matter of interest have you driven the the F10 in 2L auto?

Also if you think a diesel astra is a hoot to drive you need to get out more.

Back on topic I at present have a manual and auto E60 520D outside my door for the past month. I'm minding the manual for a mate who is away and told me to use it as much as I want. I've driven it twice to keep the battery up and drive my own auto daily. Maybe if I was in serious hurry on a country road the manual might be more fun but the auto is nicer (and faster) in the real world.

veetwin wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest have you driven the the F10 in 2L auto?

I have never and will never drive a 2l auto, particularly a 2l diesel. Which part of "nonsense" did you have trouble understanding?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

I have never and will never drive a 2l auto, particularly a 2l diesel. Which part of "nonsense" did you have trouble understanding?

Jeez mate, you might want to open your mind just a tiny fraction! While a 184bhp BMW will never reach the lofty heights of a diesel van for driving pleasure it's still not a bad motor;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 BrianCohen

It's a bit harsh tarring all 2l diesel autos as nonsense if you haven't driven one to me. I've driven an F10 520d auto for about 10 minutes and loved it, but not enough to make a fully informed opinion on it or all 2l diesel autos.

To the OP, test both auto and manual. If you can afford to buy new you can probably afford a slightly bigger hit come resale of a manual if it's what you choose. Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭blingrhino

f10 520d auto has a seemless 8 speed box which means driving in the real world fantastic-is a manual really any quicker? maybe if your driving the nuts off it u could tell , but day to day driving auto is the only way to go.
    fantastic torque lift if you drive it sprightly.
    as for colour there is black and carbon black ( which is actually dark blue) both nice, and yes other poster is right the 9" screen is great and you can split the sat navs into two screens. avg 45 mpg driven hard and easy or 1000km per tank.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

...Back on topic...
    and lets stay there!

Jeez mate, you might want to open your mind just a tiny fraction! While a 184bhp BMW will never reach the lofty heights of a diesel van for driving pleasure it's still not a bad motor;)

Again, it's not the engine in particular I have a problem with, it's 2l + auto box, especially a diesel. If I have to drive something with a small engine, it'll be a manual.

Anyway, that's enough OT nonsense, I'm sure the OP has probably bought and sold their choice already. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ScorpionRS

wow! Loads of useful comments here.. Thanks so much.

I drive a manual and saw the interior and decided on the Sports Auto.Keeping on Sport mode - it feels great!

I wont go for the M sport option as it adds a lot to the price.

Every one is right about the " don't think about selling it before buying it" I realised that a few days ago and will go with what I like and not care about selling it till it comes to that time.

The specification Ive gone for so far -

• BMW 520D Space grey
    • Visibility Package ( adds adaptive + high beam)
    • Sports Automatic
    • Sports Seats
    • Headlining Anthracite
    • Black panel display full
    • Ambient lighting
    I have don't know what Navigation system to go for, would love the larger screen but I cant justify the cost

Thanks again for the great info

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

went down to the quays today in cork to see the start of the cannonball run, quite a few new model m5s on display and having spoke to a few of the drivers who said that the m5 does not have runflats but regular tyres with a mobility kit.......so what does that tell us ?

Last april i had to shell out for three 19" runflats on my touring and that was an ouch.............anyway in addition to the m5s was a new 520d m sport (support car main bmw dealer stickers etc) on 20" alloys shod with nankang ultra sports ns20 245/30/ 20 at €138 a corner on eire tyres..............thems for me the next time with a mobility kit!

Any thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I wouldn't have any faith in 20" tyres costing under €140. Seems a bit daft to me spending that much on a car and big rims but then putting cheap tyres on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Blazer wrote: »
    Honestly you're not doing enough mileage for a diesel.
    If I'm reading that correctly you're talking about 40,000 km over the 4 years which is 10,000km a year.
    You're going to see serious problems with your engine over those 4 years with that extremely low mileage.
    There's way more knowledgeable people on here who can explain better than I can but you'll be looking at problems with your DPF/turbo etc with that mileage.

Is this categorical. Kind of have an idea that next car will be the 2010 520D, and we do low mileage. Was talking to a mechanic and he mentioned adding an additive when filling her up, and you would be ok. I dont have a huge amount of confidence in this particular mechanic....

Advertisement