Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE Announce FTA Saorsat service

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 aerialworld

I know that some people may see this as spam. But its to help people in Belfast

But we are now selling the
    Ka Sat LNB.

Thanks,

AerialWorld
    Belfast
    02890 246108

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Ka Sat LNB.

What price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 aerialworld

£35.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Peddyr

Ka Sat LNB.

Thanks,

AerialWorld
    Belfast
    02890 246108

Website please?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Skanco

Warning. It is now confirmed that saorsat can not be received even on a 1.8M Dish on the Isle of Man that includes test carried out in the North, East, South, and West of the Island. This has involved a lot of testing by engineers.
    So don’t waste money on equipment and LNBs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Apogee

Skanco wrote: »
    Warning. It is now confirmed that saorsat can not be received even on a 1.8M Dish on the Isle of Man that includes test carried out in the North, East, South, and West of the Island. This has involved a lot of testing by engineers.
    So don’t waste money on equipment and LNBs.

Considering that moro_original reported reception in Belfast with an 80cm, that's an interesting finding to say the least.

Do you know what equipment they were using - dish type, receiver, meter etc? Did they get any signal at all, or else a "blank" signal with no lock?

The Large dishes used were a Andrews 1.8M and a Andrews 2M with C120 professional grade Norsat LNB. The smaller dish used a domestic, Eutelsat White Ka-sat LNB. Spectrum Analyzers used:
    Promax TV Explorer II+, and A Rohde & Schwarz, sorry don't know the model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 alamut

saor can be great but what about people like me who needs an irish sky subscription being in Italy?
    Could u please suggest me a trustful and cheap link to get one?
    plenty of thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You are likely to lose Irish & BBC channel reception in Italy unless very near north East Border. See 1N British Spot beam

watty wrote: »
    You are likely to lose Irish & BBC channel reception in Italy unless very near north East Border. See 1N British Spot beam
    ah ok but until now I have big dish, the problem is to have the right link to get a sub card

• Advertisement

You need an Irish Address. Anything else is Fraud or Theft as Sky/NDS owns the cards. Also various channels are changing beam/satellite and will again next year and the year after.

This is nothing to do with Saorsat.

You need an Irish Address. Anything else is Fraud or Theft as Sky/NDS owns the cards. Also various channels are changing beam/satellite and will again next year and the year after.

This is nothing to do with Saorsat.
    yep but is not changing law after that person who intended a cause against them because in her pub she showed english football in greek subscription?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

alamut wrote: »
    yep but is not changing law after that person who intended a cause against them because in her pub she showed english football in greek subscription?

Public performance and use of cards is a seperate issue.

If they find out they will just cancel the card. To answer your question you need an Irish address and need to paying Sky.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.lyngsat.com/eka.html freqs.

BjKnF.jpg

No idea what signal level this is - but note that the locus of points equidistant between two points is a straight line - so if the same power level between two transponders is the same then you can just fet a first approximation with a ruler

• Registered Users Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭zg3409

Mister midnight, thanks for posting MY map, even if you did help ;)

The above map is not finished yet. I hope to have a better map shortly. It shows on tooways finder where the purple beam is recommended over any other colour. It is not a coverage map. Others and I are working on a better map shortly. It should be fairly certain of Saorsat inside the dots, but we have already confirmed coverage outside the dots.

The lines to the north east and east are where other colours start to be recommended NOT where the east scottish beam starts etc.

This gives the same info as clicking on the tooway finder map, but all at once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 BArmagh

Saorsat installed and working on 80cm dish with Inverto KA LNBf in South Armagh just across the border. Signal level 85% and Quality 80% on an Ariva 120 Combi receiver. KU Lnb used to align dish to 9 East and Spectrum then used to fine tune the KA LNB alignment.

BArmagh wrote: »
    Saorsat installed and working on 80cm dish with Inverto KA LNBf in South Armagh just across the border. Signal level 85% and Quality 80% on an Ariva 120 Combi receiver. KU Lnb used to align dish to 9 East and Spectrum then used to fine tune the KA LNB alignment.

But Rain / Clear sky/ overcast? Ka is INCREDIBLY more sensitive to weather (not just rain).

Note that Signal level is almost only a function of LNB IF amplifier and cable length. It's not relevant to reception reports, only quality or even Analogue SNR are useful, and only if the weather known (not just where dish is either as it's a 30 degree elevation so rain from high level 20kms to south/south west and clear sky overhead, or even ice crystals in sky 20kms away can dramatically change signal compared to true clear sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

But Rain / Clear sky/ overcast? Ka is INCREDIBLY more sensitive to weather (not just rain).

I agree. KA is incredibily more sensitive. I have been testing saorsat on 110cm triax dish with 16deg on prime focus for over 2 weeks now. On my setup I get 80% quality in clear skys. Signal level 60%
    If it gets anyway cloudy signal level changes dramatically. Can drop by 10%. whereas the ku sats would not be affected. In heavy rain signal levels have dropped to 26%!

But the picture is resilient.No picture breakup whatsoever, unlike ku bands that would be unwatchable at 25-26% levels.

My figures are not scientific. Taken using a VU+ and Ferguson ariva 120. Cable lenght circa 110 metres.

RTE is using FEC 1/2. Feeds use 7/8 (big dishes) and regular Ku DTH is 5/6 to 3/4. So a LOT of errors can be corrected.

The needed "quality" is dependant on FEC, assuming it's the raw BER that's measured. You need VERY good "quality" for FEC 7/8!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭buggane

Seems strange its missing the IOM completely however if 1.8 and 2m dishes (can't be many of them round here) are not getting a peep I may put my trial with a 1.1m dish on hold for a while.

Someone needs to tell that Ka band dealer (mentioned earler in the thread) who reports signal reception from the IOM that the news may be premature. Can't see many people here jumping to get Kasat lnbs but it would be a shame if they end up with a useless bit of kit!

Oh well what you've never had you don't miss - or is it where there's a will there's a way!!!

• Advertisement

buggane wrote: »
    Seems strange its missing the IOM completely however if 1.8 and 2m dishes (can't be many of them round here) are not getting a peep I may put my trial with a 1.1m dish on hold for a while.

Someone needs to tell that Ka band dealer (mentioned earler in the thread) who reports signal reception from the IOM that the news may be premature. Can't see many people here jumping to get Kasat lnbs but it would be a shame if they end up with a useless bit of kit!

Oh well what you've never had you don't miss - or is it where there's a will there's a way!!!

I was waiting for a confirmed reception here in IOM before having a go myself. Doesn't look too hopeful does it? It might just be possible though in my location given my proximity to Ireland at 36mls, (58km).

We carried out some test on the single track road that runs from Cregneash Village to Port Erin. Saorview was received from Kippure and Three Rock UHF. Three Rock is run as a SFN with Kippure, the two transmitters currently broadcast on UHF channel 54. Might be worth a try at your location. These tests will continues from Monday weather permitting, I will be joined by an engineer who knows the island well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

My signal was down to 62% this evening in very dense low lying fog.

Skanco wrote: »
    We carried out some test on the single track road that runs from Cregneash Village to Port Erin. Saorview was received from Kippure and Three Rock UHF. Three Rock is run as a SFN with Kippure, the two transmitters currently broadcast on UHF channel 54. Might be worth a try at your location. These tests will continues from Monday weather permitting, I will be joined by an engineer who knows the island well

Thanks Skanco, I've been receiving Irish DTT since 2006. I can pick it up from both 3R and Kippure but difficult to tell which one now as they're both SFN on Ch54. Can also get analogue from CC and Saorview should romp in here from CC after DSO in October when the null is removed. I hope the Sat tests will prove positive in some regions of the Island, at least in western and southern coastal areas. If I ever leave Cregneash, it'd be good to know where Saorsat can be received here.

Good luck with the testing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Cesium Clock

the EIRP of RTENL transmisions on 9 east will be increased before the official launch date , as of present NW Donegal would need a 1.3m + dish to receive.
    Source 'contact in Eutelsat'.

The information makes logical sense as the 2% who cannot recieve saorview have to be catered for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Cesium Clock

0010 007.jpg

1.2M motorised dish with KA lnb holder 4 degree offset from 13 east hotbird, 4 way diseqc switch, very overcast Midlands.

readings took from LNB loopthru at reciever, cable approx 12M of ct125, compression F'.s

the EIRP of RTENL transmisions on 9 east will be increased before the official launch date , as of present NW Donegal would need a 1.3m + dish to receive.
    Source 'contact in Eutelsat'.

My information is that current signal levels are just for test, that extreme edge of Footprint needs 1.1M (edge of Donegal), not 1.3m, but it's irrelevant.

Only what ever RTENL/RTE/Saorview say is Dish size counts.
    Currently there is no actual service just Test until RTENL say otherwise. Announcement expected soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

The fact that Triax seem, now, to be pushing a TD78 with multifeed for Astra and Ka-Sat probably gives some indication as to the signal strength they intend to use.
    ISAA have a demo on You Tube.
    Just an observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭zg3409

Yes triax will be demoing a td78 with dual feed this week. I am not sure which LNB will be at the focus etc.

Regarding Isle of Man I asked the website claiming confirmed signal on the Isle of Man and they replied saying it was from one of their customers who purchased a KA LNB. The same site has only been selling them recently after the 7dB drop in power, so I don't know which to believe.

One person says Isle of Man OK, 2nd hand, another says no signal at any place on the island. It might be worth the person/group that could not get a signal to contact the site and ask nicely to pass their details on to the person who confirmed the report, and have a chat face to face. It could be something simple causing a problem, like too big a dish.

The claim is here:
    http://www.satellitetvshop.co.uk/ka_lnb
    . So far we have confirmed reception in Wales and the Isle Of Man, you should also be able to receive Saorsat in the South west tip of England

The contact page is here:
    http://www.satellitetvshop.co.uk/index.php?route=information/contact

As mentioned already the signal may be increased by 7dB around the day of official launch. That would make a massive difference to fringe reception. Presumably TG4 will be added on that day. The official Saorsat box is being launched this week by Triax.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

The Ka lnb will be nearest the dish focus, with the dish centred at roughly 13e.
    I tried it last night on a TD88, and got a good balance between that and 28.2e (on my meter). Posted my result, for what it's worth, on satellites.co.uk plus ISAA's link to their You Tube video of the TD78 dual feed.
    See here

http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/saorsat-irish-freesat-saorview-terrestrial-digital/197382-saorsat-multifeed.html#post1025555

It was only tinkering in the back yard

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement