Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So, I started running.

Options
  • 02-10-2014 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

And bike time has lapsed coz of time constraints, but more importantly, I find that doing more running means cycling is harder and vice versa.

Any others out there who encountered issues with the crossover and any advice on a plan to integrate them better?

I'll probably run even more in the bad weather since I'm not into icy decents.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

i went the other way around, running - bike due to injury, and when i went back to running, i found my times were vastly improved, weight-loss, cardio-vascular fitness developed etc.

like yourself ill start back into the running in the bad weather and im not overly concerned about losing the summer bike fitness, long as i can keep the peddling ticking over a few times a week outside or on the trainer

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

i went the other way around, running - bike due to injury, and when i went back to running, i found my times were vastly improved, weight-loss, cardio-vascular fitness developed etc.

like yourself ill start back into the running in the bad weather and im not overly concerned about losing the summer bike fitness, long as i can keep the peddling ticking over a few times a week outside or on the trainer

Yeah, I mean I've no issues with aerobic fitness running prob due to the bike. That was always an issue before. But the combo bike fit/gait analysis makes me wonder. Is there a sense that a bike fit should be rethought if you also run a fair bit (by which I mean pretty short 5-10k 3 or 4 times a week)?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I heard it slows your leg speed.

And gives you scales :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

gadetra wrote: »
    I heard it slows your leg speed.

And gives you scales :eek:

Nah. I do both and I'm still able to spin a high cadence without any difficulty. I can confirm that I am scale free also! I only swim with the young fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

you started being chased? :)

I am occasionally chased for 5 or 10k, and find it helps with my cardio training for the bike. My cadence hasnt changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

lennymc wrote: »
    you started being chased? :)

I am occasionally chased for 5 or 10k, and find it helps with my cardio training for the bike. My cadence hasnt changed.

Chased by whom or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

slap/dash wrote: »
    And bike time has lapsed coz of time constraints, but more importantly, I find that doing more running means cycling is harder and vice versa.

Any others out there who encountered issues with the crossover and any advice on a plan to integrate them better?

Harder how? Muscular or cardio?

I've found cycling to be excellent for keeping my run fitness going. I barely train for running at all any more and my 10k times are still holding about 40 min from all the bike training. The cycling keeps good cardio fitness and my legs are still getting a good workout (albeit without the pounding)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

I find that doing more running means cycling is harder and vice versa..

Is this not simply recovery, diet, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Imodium

Harder how? Muscular or cardio?

I've found cycling to be excellent for keeping my run fitness going. I barely train for running at all any more and my 10k times are still holding about 40 min from all the bike training. The cycling keeps good cardio fitness and my legs are still getting a good workout (albeit without the pounding)

I guess I mean that I get twinges but really nothing serious. I'm just curious if there is anything generally advised if you want to keep both activities 'running' well so to speak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

I guess I mean that I get twinges but really nothing serious. I'm just curious if there is anything generally advised if you want to keep both activities 'running' well so to speak

If you're doing both at the same time, i'd advise to never run the day after a hard cycle. Your legs will be tired if your pushing yourself on the bike, and generally running on tired legs unless there's a specific goal in mind (e.g. brick session) is a bad idea.

If you're just running over the winter and looking to scale the bike miles down, I'd be looking at keeping at least one long cycle every two weeks. The speed sessions can be built in over the spring, but you'd really want to get some long cycles in over the winter to keep your base line aerobic fitness going.

I don't know if you have any structure to your week/year, but look into periodisation of training. It's pretty interesting and makes a whole lot of sense, concentrating on building endurance in the winter months and getting more threshold and anaerobic sessions in as you get closer to race season.

Injury wise, I can't help you much. I get serious ITB issues whenever I increase my run volume too much, so what works for me is to get my endurance from the bike sessions and just concentrate on interval sessions when running.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Chased by whom or what?

demons.

If you're doing both at the same time, i'd advise to never run the day after a hard cycle. Your legs will be tired if your pushing yourself on the bike, and generally running on tired legs unless there's a specific goal in mind (e.g. brick session) is a bad idea.

If you're just running over the winter and looking to scale the bike miles down, I'd be looking at keeping at least one long cycle every two weeks. The speed sessions can be built in over the spring, but you'd really want to get some long cycles in over the winter to keep your base line aerobic fitness going.

I don't know if you have any structure to your week/year, but look into periodisation of training. It's pretty interesting and makes a whole lot of sense, concentrating on building endurance in the winter months and getting more threshold and anaerobic sessions in as you get closer to race season.

Injury wise, I can't help you much. I get serious ITB issues whenever I increase my run volume too much, so what works for me is to get my endurance from the bike sessions and just concentrate on interval sessions when running.

Best of luck!

Thanks! That's very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It's time you changed forum, tbh :D

But seriously, it probably takes as much time to prep yourself for a run as it does for a cycle so why not stay at lower elevation and get some proper kms in on the bike? Even if it means a few laps? None of us are fans of icy descents - as I recall my 'bottom bracket facing the sky' episode at Brittas last St. Stephen's Day :rolleyes: Sore arse that day.

I'd run more myself but similar to mirrormatrix, I suffer from ITB problems when I run so the bike is my preferred option.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

easy runs the day after a hard cycle are fine. you don't want to be doing tough bike then tough runs on consecutive days if you can help it. a lot of people who do both will do a long cycle and a long run on the two days of the weekend. i run every day after cycling, but my interval session running is after my easy bike, my run after my threshold bike sessions is easy.

couldn't agree with a blanket never run after a hard cycle statement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

I always used running in the off season. Tues and Thurs out to Clontarf baths and back 40 mins at the startr. I used to start by walk run walk run etc. I think the running brings you on great.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Slippery slope, OP. Have you bought a swimming cap yet?

:pac:

Advertisement