Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cycling shoes and cleat pedals

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Fian wrote: »
    If you are finding it easy to put your foot down with your toe clips I presume you are not tightening the strap over your feet to lock them into the pedals. In that case you are not really "locked in" to the pedals as you will be when using cleats so you can't pull up on the pedals or pedal the whole way around. If you used them strapped in you need to lean down with your hand and loosen the strap before you can remove your foot.

I took the straps off of the toe clips. They were just hassle and dangerous for a newbie to have the feet strapped in. The toe clips were quite good. My feet never slipped off the pedals. I was even able to stand on the pedals. However, I wouldn't have been pedaling in a standing position for more than a few seconds. I will get the cleat system though. Whether it will make a huge difference to my cycling spins I will have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

First day wearing cleats today. Using the keo look. Very easy to get in and out of. Recommend them as entry level clip in pedals

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Velotogo

ted1 wrote: »
    First day wearing cleats today. Using the keo look. Very easy to get in and out of. Recommend them as entry level clip in pedals

Have you any links for your shoe and pedal combo, Ted ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Velotogo wrote: »
    Have you any links for your shoe and pedal combo, Ted ?

I got these pedals http://mobile.cyclesurgery.com/look-keo-easy-pedal/pedals-road/bikes-components-bikewear/fcp-product/28518

And the shoes are just normal road shoes I got in cyclesuoperstore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

I have a quick question for the more knowledgable than I...

I have these pedals on my road bike: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-r540-spd-sl-sport-pedals/

Would I be wrong to put the same pedals on my MTB? I only ask because I don't really want 2 pairs of shoes and I don't want to be swapping cleats when I'm taking out one bike or the other.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Lardy wrote: »
    I have a quick question for the more knowledgable than I...

I have these pedals on my road bike: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-r540-spd-sl-sport-pedals/

Would I be wrong to put the same pedals on my MTB? I only ask because I don't really want 2 pairs of shoes and I don't want to be swapping cleats when I'm taking out one bike or the other.

Thanks

Yep, they are road pedals.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭SuperSean

I also have just a quick question :)

Is there much of a performance difference from going from SPD MTB pedals to the SPD road pedals ?

I have the SPD MTB pedals and shoes for the latest year or so and they're grand but I'm after getting a pair of SPD road pedals off one of my mates and was just wondering if its worth the money to go buy the road shoes/cleats?

Thanks!

SuperSean wrote: »
    I also have just a quick question :)

Is there much of a performance difference from going from SPD MTB pedals to the SPD road pedals ?

I have the SPD MTB pedals and shoes for the latest year or so and they're grand but I'm after getting a pair of SPD road pedals off one of my mates and was just wondering if its worth the money to go buy the road shoes/cleats?

Thanks!

Just to be aware, You can put SPD cleats on some road shoes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Had my mandatory 1st fall today. Stopped to talk to a neighbour, bollo, didn't unclip in time, kealed over in slow motion, quite comical really.

How exactly do you unclip?
    Is it like Dorothy from Wizard of Oz and just click your heels?ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

How exactly do you unclip?
    Is it like Dorothy from Wizard of Oz and just click your heels?ðŸ˜

Just twist your ankle out (away from the bike) and you're unclipped. It's easy. I always unclip my left foot as it's the one closest to the kerb where I can rest my foot while waiting at traffic light etc.

So I got my pedals and road shoes. Funny enough the cleats and bolts came with the shoes and the nuts came with the pedals - strange.
    Anyway I managed to attach the pedals. Had difficulty taking off the old pedals until I googled here and realised that the left pedal unscrews in the other direction to normal way. I had to loosen the allen screws to loosen the tension of the cleats. The screws are loose at this stage but did not fall out after a good cycle.
    Only difficulty is I find it much more difficult to corner with my feet clipped in. Is this normal?
    Also there appears to be a set of 2 stickers that you attach over the cleat holes inside the shoe, hardly to waterproof is it? I didn't put them on anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Only difficulty is I find it much more difficult to corner with my feet clipped in. Is this normal?.....
    No it's not normal. It shouldn't make any difference. Unless you're on a fixie, your inside pedal should be raised when cornering. Depending on the float of the cleat, your inside foot may turn slightly as you drop your knee.

PS - did you grease the pedals threads before attaching them. If not, remove them and do so as they can be very difficult to remove in the future otherwise.

I didn't have grease but I sprayed on bike oil.
    When I normally corner I let my knee out to the side. This means my foot would naturally go onto its side. But it is not possible to do this with the shoe clipped in. Maybe my technique is poor but I am finding myself slowing down at corners in order to be safe and I feel my centre of gravity is higher as I can't get my knee down low enough.

...When I normally corner I let my knee out to the side. This means my foot would naturally go onto its side. But it is not possible to do this with the shoe clipped in...
    That seems odd. I'll have to wait until I'm on the bike again to check myself as I've never had an issue with it.

(If I was wearing non-cleat shoes on a bike (which is almost never), my foot wouldn't go to the side on the pedal when cornering).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

When I normally corner I let my knee out to the side. This means my foot would naturally go onto its side. But it is not possible to do this with the shoe clipped in. Maybe my technique is poor but I am finding myself slowing down at corners in order to be safe and I feel my centre of gravity is higher as I can't get my knee down low enough.

Given the rain today - here's a vid on cornering in the rain - maybe check your technique is similar.
    Also, when I bought my pedals/ cleats I had a lbs fit them and check me on the bike wearing them.
    Some bike shops may charge for this service (€20/30), but worth it.

If you're experienced in fitting cleats you wont need this, but I think it's really important to have everything set up correctly to avoid any potential injuries from incorrectly fitted cleats.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭fiacha

I made the move to road shoes and cleats yesterday. I've been using double sided SPDs for years, so I wasn't too worried about clipping out. Clipping in when moving away from lights is proving to be a pain. I think I have the pedal the right way up so push the foot in only for the slippery underside of the shoe to send my foot rocketing forward before the pedal comes around and whacks the back of the heel. Judging by the laughter coming from a few cars on my test spin, I cheered up a few people on their way home last night :D. Hopefully it gets easier with practice.

On the plus side, I'm really liking the lightness and stiffness of the new shoes.

Well worth buying a small tube of good quality grease for use on bolts. Not just for ease of removal, it is much better than oil at stopping those annoying creaks that can develop when oil dries out.
    When I normally corner I let my knee out to the side. This means my foot would naturally go onto its side. But it is not possible to do this with the shoe clipped in.

I think I do the same thing, but I was never aware of the foot movement being so severe. I may just be a matter of getting used to the new foot position and your "lean" will adjust naturally.

The pedals I bought are double sided spd mtb ones. They are ideal for someone starting off or commuting as you can clip in on either side plus the platform of the pedal is wide enough to use trainers for a spin to the shops.
    http://www.wiggle.com/shimano-m424-spd-pedals/

Here are the shoes I bought. I got a size up as I have wide feet and they fit well.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-rt32-spd-touring-shoes/[url][/url]

Is it possible that the plastic platform part of the pedal is restricting movement when leaning? I'd imagine that SPD's such as the M520 would probably allow more flex?
    M520 - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-m520-clipless-spd-mtb-pedals/rp-prod3759

Advertisement