Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

tv star 1020

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html

I think it's reasonable to expect such a box to see the teletext on more than 3 out of 8 channels if it says teletext anywhere on the box or the ad.

Saorview is not just an MPEG4 signal. It's also the EPG and the fancy teletext (and hopefully soon series link). Anything that can't do the extras is not a Saorview receiver nor should it be described as such. If the sales person or the ad or box says it can receiver saorview then misleading.

Had it been advertised as "MPEG4 receiver, limited compatibility with Saorview transmissions" then maybe.

When you go back to Tesco you may be lucky enough to see both the Laurus ~€80 and Technika boxes ~€49 in stock, then you can play spot the difference ;)

Had it said Recorder (via usb) that would be fine

In this part of the world PVR mean something like SKY+ or the UPC boxes that allow you to watch one channel while recording another. They are by far the oldest and most common PVR systems here so anything advertising it's self as more than a recorder would have to be up to scratch.

SKY, UPC, Approved Saorview boxes can record from the EPG, if the 1020 can't then it most definitely is not a PVR by any stretch of the imagination.

There is nothing proprietary or strange in the EPG data that is transmitted by Saorview that these boxes nor unapproved TV's or other unapproved boxes that have a DVB logo would have a problem with. Its called DVB-EIT and its a standard.

PVR is the ability to record. Dual tuner PVR is the ability to watch one station and record another. Even single tuner devices with "PVR" functionality can view one channel and record another as long as its on the same mux. This is only technically possible once the device has been configured to do so. Some are, some aren't.

By the way some of the early Saorview approved boxes (Vestel chassis) whilst having a USB port on the box arent for PVR purposes and arent configured to be. PVR is not a requirement in the specification for Saorview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Intrerestingly my local D.I.D. electrical store have the 1020 on display with a little perspex coated list of features including MHEG5

OK, so I finnely unpackaged my TV Star 1020 tonight, and my 1st thoughts are . . . . .

Nice small box, light as a feather (too light to be honest). Remote needs to be about two feet away to work properly (so I probably have a dud). Good picture, rubbish remote control, Does not have MHEG5 (please note D.I.D), comes set in US date format MM/DD/YY which is very annoying & it can't be changed. It records in .mts format which is also a pain for me, as my other boxes record in .ts mode, this means that I can record on Ariva 120 or my Technomate and play those files on the TV Star 1020, but . . . . I cannot record something on the TV Star 1020 and play it back on the other two machines! (neither recognise .mts files).

Interesting reading for prospective buyers I hope.

Will get refund or exchange for Technika/Laurus T8030 tomorrow (hopefully it records .ts files).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Not good at all, it definitely does not have MHEG 5.

LordSutch wrote: »
    Intrerestingly my local D.I.D. electrical store have the 1020 on display with a little perspex coated list of features including MHEG5

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

STB wrote: »
    PVR is the ability to record. Dual tuner PVR is the ability to watch one station and record another.
    Again consumer law is based on what a reasonable person would expect.

For yonks SKY and UPC have provided boxes that can record any channel while watching any any other and can do time shift too and series link from the EPG. 49% of households now have them.

A box which doesn't offer the basic features that most television viewers in the country are using isn't really a PVR

BTW I've a satellite receiver where you can record one channel and watch another on the same mux. That feature isn't much use on satellite, (many regional variations / +1) nor would it be up north where there is more than one mux on DTT. That feature is useful here now only because of a lack of channels. Once a second mux goes on line it'll be really annoying. And any sold on the basis that you could record one channel while watching another could be returned.
    By the way some of the early Saorview approved boxes (Vestel chassis) whilst having a USB port on the box arent for PVR purposes and arent configured to be. PVR is not a requirement in the specification for Saorview.
    Which is why I said the word recorder was used on the box. They should not be sold as PVR's because they aren't.

The word Recorder would set an expectation similar to a video recorder in that you can only do one of play or record or choose channel at a time. Many VCR's could be set using videoplus or scraping teletext, so a PVR would have to do a good bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Can the software be changed so that it records in .ts format instead of .mts?

(with an external hard drive of course).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

PVR IS NOT the ability to record. It's always been a class of Digital Recorder.

I am not in disagreement with you Capt.

I agree that Saorview PVR devices need to be branded correctly so that there is no confusion. Will they be a big seller. Not if the current prices are maintained. There are too little stations to justify the price tags.

In terms of generic devices and I use Generic as a term used for items not specifically aimed for Ireland but more a Pan European/DVB-T basis, you must do your homework. A lot of the time compromises must be made once the price point is low enough and for many that is an acceptable trade off.

MHEG5 and Dual tuners will be that compromise until we get a mass market that can drive some competition into our desired STB configurations. Despite the fact that the UK is the most similar technical spec'd market, Combo products have not been a huge marketable item there, so knock on effect here. Unfortunately our dependance on UK TV to bolster Irish DVB-T TV content means that Combo boxes are the main requirement for Irish FTA consumers. But the products that get certification will be priced off the wall and wont be functionality friendly as a Freesat/Freeview HD product which of course dont do both dvb-t and dvb-s2 to our satisfaction.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

STB wrote: »
    Despite the fact that the UK is the most similar technical spec'd market, Combo products have not been a huge marketable item there, so knock on effect here. Unfortunately our dependance on UK TV to bolster Irish DVB-T TV content means that Combo boxes are the main requirement for Irish FTA consumers. But the products that get certification will be priced off the wall and wont be functionality friendly as a Freesat/Freeview HD product which of course dont do both dvb-t and dvb-s2 to our satisfaction.
    Saorview is closer to the Nordic countries ;)

Freesat/Freeview combo is a niche area. I'd nearly compare it to Saorsat here. It's for people who can't get their channels any other way and enthusiasts.

There is a huge overlap between Freesat and Freeview.
    Most of the UK have most of the FTA channels worth watching on DTT - they have more than one MUX
    http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=IJ287750

Yes there are extra channels on satellite, but there are a lot of old sky boxes in place too.

SKY and UPC have been offering dual tuner PVR's with a single EPG for a long time. 49% of homes have them, 97% TV ownership so most people with TV's have only seen fully functional PVR's. Anything that offers less can't really be considered a PVR in the Irish context.

At present it looks like the closest to a fully functional PVR is a linux satellite box that get's it's EPG from the internet and Saorview through a USB DTT adaptor. And it's not that cheap. And I don't think it updates it's channels automatically.

Another option is certain Freesat HD recorders with Saorsat (dual diseqc switches etc.) and a bit of dexterity on the remote control

There is really no market for a combo now in UK that the DVB-T2 HD has started. Many people have both satellite (Freesat or Sky) and Freeview, but usually freeview only on other TVs if the main TV has satellite.

Saorview is closer to the Nordic countries ;)

We will always be closer to UK as long as we maintain using MHEG5 middleware. Its what distinguishes us, the Kiwis and the Brits from the rest of the DVB world. The UK is now more aligned to the Nordic Countries than you think. The main difference is their implementation of HDCP.
    Freesat/Freeview combo is a niche area. I'd nearly compare it to Saorsat here. It's for people who can't get their channels any other way and enthusiasts.

I agree. However there are more and more DVB-T2 tuner modules creeping into Combo Boxes. Technomates **02 ranges (available for some time), and most recently the Amiko 2 Plus range (2xDVB-S2, 1 DVB-T2) and a few others.

• Advertisement

CI+ includes MHEG5 so has sort of crept in to all of Europe.
    MHP is practically dead
    HbbTV can br accessed via extensions to MHEG-IC as it is really about OTT (over the top = Internet content)

watty wrote: »
    CI+ includes MHEG5 so has sort of crept in to all of Europe.
    MHP is practically dead
    HbbTV can br accessed via extensions to MHEG-IC as it is really about OTT (over the top = Internet content)

CI+ is only mandatory unfortunately on TV screens above a certain size. There are far too many cheap CI modules still out there so it wont be standard on STBs for some time. But yes CI+ was developed to actually have a "standard" that the manufacturers adhered too (they all had their own implementations of CI which varied greatly). No coincidence so that Neotion where the main driving force behind CI+. Sky have now accepted it as a secure environment for NDS and have licensed its use for NDS already, which will mean that the days of serious unbundling and the technical hurdles that Sky maintained were obstacles are no longer there. Those that dislike proprietary Sky boxes (and full tied in packages) might be interested in that.

photo-331-d57607bf.jpg

The new Amiko triple tuner range actually have HBBTV via Spark software. I have seen HBBTv in action mainly in that country where all the Irish taxpayers money goes for unsecured bondholders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

My parents have two of these. They aren't great boxes but I trying to find updated firmware from them. Typically I can find any firmware on the manufacturers website. Anyway have any recent or even 2013 firmware?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭thebo

Anyone still using this box not getting proper EPG from RTE 1 and +1 just recently? Only shows teleshopping. Sometimes full EPG shows for sec then changes stuck on teleshopping.

Rte 2 and channels on that frequency display fine.

Can't seem find any firmware update

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭MenloPete

Aside from the fact that you shouldn't drag up an old thread, if you looked around you would see that it's not a box issue. Others have the problem on various boxes.

Advertisement