Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby monitors & wifi etc

• 29-01-2012 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

Just wondering are 1.8ghz baby monitors ok to work besides wifi signals, cordless phones etc or do they interfere with each other?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

That is the DECT frequency.
    Nothing should interfere with it and alot of these units possibly all ,encrypt the data too .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Eek, I never even thought of checking anything like that when I was buying our monitor. Our/ neighbours wifi/ handsfree phones etc have never interefered with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Ok, thats good to know, I just asked because i know that a video sender we have is terribly affected by the microwave oven and wifi router.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

snaps wrote: »
    Ok, thats good to know, I just asked because i know that a video sender we have is terribly affected by the microwave oven and wifi router.
    Was worried that might happen.
    So bought this:
    978104.jpg

It's a Foscam FI8918W wireless IP camera, and it cost €57 on ebay including shipping. Does infra-red at night (with inbuild illumination), pan, tilt, zoom and audio; and you can set it up so it can be watched on the internet (with usernames and passwords and different levels of control from passive watching to active control of the camera) for grandparents and godparents to get their babywatching fix. You can watch the video on your laptop from an ordinary webpage, and there are also apps for android and iphones and if you want a dedicated screen to watch it on and don't have anything you can use, well, there are cheap android tablets on ebay. It hooks into your wifi at home (and you can plug it in to a normal router as well if you have one).

It seems to be working fine; give me a fortnight and I'll tell you how well it works as a baby monitor :D (But for €60 compared to mothercare's €300-400 for a video baby monitor, it's got to be worth trying...)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

How are you getting on with it Sparks?

• Advertisement

It's working quite well for a video link for both parents and grandparents to PCs, iPads, iPhones and android phones both on the house wifi and outside on the 3G network, but we've discovered we're too fond of Sparks 2.0 to put him in the nursery just yet and since I mounted the webcam on the cot that's our primary changing platform, I've turned it off for now. But I'm not planning on buying a replacement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

snaps wrote: »
    Just wondering are 1.8ghz baby monitors ok to work besides wifi signals, cordless phones etc or do they interfere with each other?

routers generally broadcast on 2.4ghz or 5ghz or both for the newer ones, so you should be fine with the wifi signal.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Sparks wrote: »
    Was worried that might happen.
    So bought this:
    http://philads.ph/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/978104.jpg

It's a Foscam FI8918W wireless IP camera, and it cost €57 on ebay including shipping.
    they are a very good camera and also work very well as a general security camera and can be used outside as long as they are out of direct contact with the elements, such as hanging upside down from your eaves etc.

you can even set them up to upload to an FTP site on the net for extra security if you thought you might need it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Thanks Sparks.

EDIT: Can you tell me which vendor you bought it from on eBay?

I used best-store2012 dahamsta, but there were dozens of vendors on there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

dahamsta wrote: »
    Thanks Sparks.

EDIT: Can you tell me which vendor you bought it from on eBay?
    there are several different models and the Foscam FI8918W that sparks got is regarded as the best at the moment, so watch out for unscrupulous sellers selling re-branded inferior models.

if you look through some of the ebay adverts, some of the more honest sellers will tell you how to spot the fake ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Just came across this. We used this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-camera-2-ways-Mobile-Viewing/dp/B00432J56G/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top with wifi and android tablet and is amazing. With our last child we got this, http://www.bellababy.ie/slim-secure-digital-video-monitor-p-1939.html?osCsid=30d8b45742009e4d5266816753636be2 . Was great as no fiddling about setting things up, best money you will ever spend.

Advertisement