Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SERC 3 Peaks challenge 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Muckers

Any decent route map to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭SERCPRO

Map is on the link on our website. Starting from Arklow - Woodenbridge-Tinahely-Aughavanagh-Sliabh Mann- Shea Elliott - Rathdrum-Avoca-Woodenbridge-Knockrahan-Arklow
    http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/14780800

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

Really enjoyed this last year. Nice to get an outing into Wicklow early on in the season and see how the winter training is going. Good spread afterwards, which is pretty much the most important thing for me.

Thanks for the positive feedback Daithí. Hope to see you back this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Can you register on the morning, or does it have to be online before hand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

bazermc wrote: »
    Can you register on the morning, or does it have to be online before hand?

Unless they have changed this year you can register on the day as i have done for the last 3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭C3PO

Bikerbhoy wrote: »
    Unless they have changed this year you can register on the day as i have done for the last 3 years

According to the website it's "online only"!

http://www.southeastroadclub.com/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

C3PO wrote: »
    According to the website it's "online only"!

http://www.southeastroadclub.com/

It says on this page that there'll be limited registration on the day...I hope it is true, otherwise there'll be only these 25 people at it!

http://www.activeglobal.com/ie/cycling/arklow-ireland/3-peaks-challenge-2013

Why is it called 3 Peaks Challenge?

I can only see two cat 3 climbs and five cat 5 climbs

in any event I am looking forward to the cycle and testing the winter training I have done on these climbs and the distance at 110K is right.

Hi all,
    registration is mainly online this year and is available on the active link on our website...www.southeastroadclub.com.
    We will be keeping limited places between 10-15 places on the day for registration.
    The reason we have online registration this year is that it saves a lot of admin time and also queuing on the morning of the event.
    If you are not a member of CI please remember to bring €2 to pay for your ODL (one day licence for Insurance purposes)
    Hope to see you all on the day.
    SERC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

bazermc wrote: »
    Why is it called 3 Peaks Challenge?

I can only see two cat 3 climbs and five cat 5 climbs.

The 3 peaks are Slieve Maan, Shay Elliot and a climb on the way back into Arklow. They could happily rename it the 4 peaks to take in the nasty little dig at Aghavanna before Slieve Maan, but I think that name's already taken.

How are roads around Slieve Maan and Shay Elliot. Is the spin likely to go ahead if the weather stays the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

A friend and I have signed up for this. Does anyone know, what the conditions are like on the route. Is there much snow still lying around?. Is it likely to go ahead?

Eamonnator wrote: »
    A friend and I have signed up for this. Does anyone know, what the conditions are like on the route. Is there much snow still lying around?. Is it likely to go ahead?

SERC have posted an update on their site re slight change in course

http://www.southeastroadclub.com/2013/04/03/3-peaks-challenge-2013-4/

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭531

Entries will be accepted on the day for this. Are many doing it? it's a great sprotife.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

I'll be there, hanging off the back. Hope we get weather like today for it

Latest forecast from met.ie suggests that the rain will stay away. It'll be cool though.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

I'll be there if the hangover isn't too bad .

Looking forward to seeing you all on the day tomorrow. The forecast is looking good and the cakes and goodies are almost ready to go. :)
    The GPS coordinates for Rock's GAA in Arklow can be found here.... 52.79166 6.17380
    Entries will also be taken on the day.
    If you are not a member of Cycling Ireland please remember to bring €2 with you for the One day licence fee to cover you for Insurance (CI)
    www.southeastroadclub.com for up to the minute info.
    Hope to see you all tomorrow morning from 8am

A tough spin despite the route being shortened.

Well organised by SERC, brilliantly marshalled, food afterwards was excellent.

I got in about 2pm so was out for 4.5 hours. I've cycled Sliabh Mann about a dozen times and that was the toughest. Must have been the cold or the wind (or maybe I'm just getting older).

A great, well run event, great value at €15. Well done to all concerned.

• Advertisement

531 wrote: »

I got in about 2pm so was out for 4.5 hours. I've cycled Sliabh Mann about a dozen times and that was the toughest. Must have been the cold or the wind (or maybe I'm just getting older).

+ 1, enjoyed that, though the stretch after Shay Elliot just went on and on...got in at 2 as well, I was in a red campag jacket btw

Colm18, I think I was in a group of four with you but dropped off just before Woodenbridge. I did a turn up the front but a slight rise in the road and that was it. I actually got in about 2.04, I think. A tough spin, great to have it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

fondriest wrote: »
    I'll be there if the hangover isn't too bad .

The hangover WAS too bad .

Colm18, I think I was in a group of four with you but dropped off just before Woodenbridge. I did a turn up the front but a slight rise in the road and that was it. I actually got in about 2.04, I think. A tough spin, great to have it done.

Yep, I was in that..my legs were feeling it by then too

fondriest wrote: »
    The hangover WAS too bad .

Wuss!

Hi all,
    thanks again for coming out to support our event today. Here is a link to some of the photos from today.
    All comments (good and bad) are welcome to help us improve the event each year.
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151408471601687.1073741827.324873281686&type=1

Rode with my team mate colm18 today 3rd year doing this event with no training this year . Surprisingly enough really enjoyed Slieve Mann and Shay Elliott hated as usual road into Rathdrum suffered a bit into Tinahealy picked it up a bit to Woodenbridge but lost it back to Arklow thank Fcuk we didnt have to do that last peak that would have been the death of me. Thanks again to SERC for another great event

Thanks again for making the journey to Arklow today. Glad you enjoyed the day.
    Looking forward to welcoming you back in 2014.

Rode with my team mate colm18 today 3rd year doing this event with no training this year . Surprisingly enough really enjoyed Slieve Mann and Shay Elliott hated as usual road into Rathdrum suffered a bit into Tinahealy picked it up again to Woodenbridge but lost it back to Arklow thank Fcuk we didnt have to do that last peak that would have been the death of me today Thanks again to SERC for another great event

• Advertisement

Bikerbhoy wrote: »
    Rode with my team mate colm18 today 3rd year doing this event with no training this year . Surprisingly enough really enjoyed Slieve Mann and Shay Elliott hated as usual road into Rathdrum suffered a bit into Tinahealy picked it up a bit to Woodenbridge but lost it back to Arklow thank Fcuk we didnt have to do that last peak that would have been the death of me. Thanks again to SERC for another great event

Thanks again for supporting our 'flat' spin today. The weather gods were good to us again.
    Well done again.

Advertisement