Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quotes & More Quotes by Atheists (sig fodder inside)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

"Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." - Richard Dawkins.

“Peter Sutcliffe, the Yorkshire Ripper, distinctly heard the voice of Jesus telling him to kill women, and he was locked up for life. George W. Bush says that god told him to invade Iraq (a pity God didn't vouchsafe him a revelation that there were no weapons of mass destruction).”
    - Dawkins again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

jnlE9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Cathleen Kirkwood asks: With all the places you've been to, the research you have conducted, and the things you've seen, what's your position on the existence or not of a god/spirit/creator?

Bill replies: I'm not a spiritual person, and the things I've done haven't made me one, but the one thing I did appreciate when I was writing A Short History was that conventional science and a belief in god are absolutely not incompatible. You can be a scientist and believe in god: the two can go hand in hand. What certainly struck me during my research was that the very fundamental creationist views - the literal biblical interpretation of how the world was created - is much, much less exciting than real science. If you believe in god, it's much more fantastic to believe that he created this universe billions of years ago and set in motion this long train of activities that eventually resulted in us. I think that's so much more satisfying, more thrilling, than the idea that it was all done in seven days.
    Source.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

Probably the most interesting book I have ever read. Should be made as mandatory reading for science in schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Spoonman75

" Well, I wasn't raised Catholic, but I used to go to Mass with my friends, and I viewed the whole business as a lot of very enthralling hocus-pocus. There's a guy hanging upon the wall in the church, nailed to a cross and dripping blood, and everybody's blaming themselves for that man's torment, but I said to myself, "Forget it. I had no hand in that evil. I have no original sin Theres no blood of any sacred martyr an my hands. I pass on all of this."
    I had some Jewish guilt in me already - which must have been genetically ingrained since I wasn't raised in a Hebraic religious setting - so I knew I definitely had no room for Catholic guilt too.
    "Then my mother took my sister and me to an Evangelical church, the Church of Jesus Christ. I was baptised there at the age of twelve, and it was strictly hallelujah time. But one day the preacher is up in the pulpit unfolding a dollar bill saying, "This is the flag of the Jews." Whoa, fella! We left that flock.
    Now my grandfather, whose name was Phillip Hyman, had always been a staunch atheist, and my sister, Judy, and I were very frightened for him, always saying, "Grandpa, believe in God! Don't die this way and end up in Hell!"
    But I was very, very close to him. He was the most inspiring presence in my life. He was a very proper, very well-mannered, and well-read Englishman, although none of his breeding had brought him wealth or position. He was a jeweller for a little while; his family in England were tinsmiths. But he didn't have a dime because all of his energies were funnelled into the pursuit of knowledge. He used to sit in bed at night and read books on trigonometry and palaeontology. He didn't respect anything but knowledge, and you'd better know what you were talking about or he would devastate you. He could be a pain in the neck, but he was a happy, man, the only self-fulfilled soul I've ever known.. He made a science out of doing only what he wanted to do.
    As a result, I was motivated to become a voracious reader, which I am. And I gradually, decided that just because I didn't have or couldn't find the ultimate answer didn't mean I was going to buy the religious fairytale. As an atheist you have to rationalise things. You decide first of all that will not ask Daddy - meaning God in all of his imagined forms - for a helping hand when you're in a jam. Then you have to try and make some sort of sense out of your problems. And if you try and find you can't, you have no choice but to be good and scared - but that's okay! When animals are afraid, they don't pray, and we're just a higher order of primate. Mark Twain, a great atheist, said it best in The Mysterious Stranger, when he stated in not so many words, "Who are we to create a heaven and hell for ourselves, excluding animals and plants in the bargain, just because we have the power to rationalise?"
    Death is death, and the ego can't handle the consequences. We should all struggle to the last to hold on to life, and religion encourages people to give up on making this life work because the supposed next life will be fairer. Religion is the source of too many of the world's worst problems.
    I once wrote a love song that contained, as it turned out, some insights into Catholic guilt. But the point of "Only the Good Die Young" was not religion but lust. "Come out, Virginia!" - and I'll tell you anything you want to hear so I can get in your pants!
    As a kid, I actually did go into a confessional booth in a local Catholic church, and I made up all these terrible things. I said, "Father I felt my sister, I robbed from my mother, I hit my grandmother." The priest on the other side of the screen just said, "Well then, you will say seventeen Hail Marys and fourteen Our Fathers," and I said, "You mean that's it? I can go out and do it all again and come back next week?" He said, "Who is this?! Are you a member of the parish?!" I said, "I'm not even Catholic!" And I took off in a hurry. But I was curious about this confession thing. Jewish guilt is very popular; there're books and movies about it. But Catholic guilt seemed Gothic and shadowy.
    I believe that all important matters have to be settled here, not in the clouds somewhere after we kick off."

The singer songwriter Billy Joel.

Sorry about the length! I was never a fan of him as a musician, but I really respect him as a person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

From at the very least, nearly an Atheist:

"I see only with deep regret that God punishes so many of His children for their numerous stupidities, for which only He Himself can be held responsible; in my opinion, only His nonexistence could excuse Him."
    -Albert Einstein

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm getting a bit tired of seeing that stephen fry quote on being offended. i don't know it it's taken out of context or not, but it's a stupid quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

i'm getting a bit tired of seeing that stephen fry quote on being offended. i don't know it it's taken out of context or not, but it's a stupid quote.

Are you taking offence? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

This is a scene from the movie The Seventh Seal. Bergman, and this character are not or were nor atheists, but, as evident from the title, which is from the Revelations 8:1
    The Bible wrote:
    When the Lamb broke the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven for about half an hour.

It is about questioning God.

Enjoy. :)

Quote here, but it is translated differently here than in this scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

This any better?

• Advertisement

Sindri wrote: »
    This is a scene from the movie The Seventh Seal. Bergman, and this character are not or were nor atheists, but, as evident from the title, which is from the Revelations 8:1

It is about questioning God.

Enjoy. :)

Quote here, but it is translated differently here than in this scene.
    "We must make an idol of our fear and call it God."
    One of my favourite lines.

Incidentally, those unfamiliar with the film may like to know that the 'priest' hearing the confession is actually Death.

Bergman was in fact an atheist, "Although raised in a devout Lutheran household, Bergman later stated that he lost his faith at age eight, and only came to terms with this fact while making Winter Light." (wikipedia) He remained fascinated by faith. The Seventh Seal is quite anti-religous on the whole.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Penn wrote: »
    This any better?
    yes.
    as mentioned, i don't know what context that fry quote was made in, but as is, it wilfully ignores the fact that taking offence can be, and often is, a valid and proportional response.

yes.
    as mentioned, i don't know what context that fry quote was made in, but as is, it wilfully ignores the fact that taking offence can be, and often is, a valid and proportional response.
    That's not the point. Fry's point is that either the thing which offends you is wrong or it isn't. Your being offended doesn't matter a damn. If you're offended that the gardaí in Denegal behaved in a corrupt and dishonest fashion in the course of their work, the wrong thing is their corruption and dishonesty, not your offense. Meanwhile, if you're offended that the guy living next door has a boyfriend, the fact that he is doing nothing wrong is the important thing, not your offense. Being offended means exactly jack **** in its own right.

that may be the case, but that context is missing from the quote. which greatly weakens it. he calls offence 'a whine'. try saying that to a woman who is offended by a rape joke...

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭doriansmith

"Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy." - Carl Sagan

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." — Edward Gibbon

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." — Edward Gibbon
    A common misquote. The actual quote appears in Decline and Fall, chapter II:
    The policy of the emperors and the senate, as far as it concerned religion, was happily seconded by the reflections of the enlightened, and by the habits of the superstitious, part of their subjects. The various modes of worship which prevailed in the Roman world were all considered by the people as equally true; by the philosopher as equally false; and by the magistrate as equally useful. And thus toleration produced not only mutual indulgence, but even religious concord.
    The last sentence is worth re-reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

mikhail wrote: »
    "We must make an idol of our fear and call it God."
    One of my favourite lines.

Incidentally, those unfamiliar with the film may like to know that the 'priest' hearing the confession is actually Death.

Bergman was in fact an atheist, "Although raised in a devout Lutheran household, Bergman later stated that he lost his faith at age eight, and only came to terms with this fact while making Winter Light." (wikipedia) He remained fascinated by faith. The Seventh Seal is quite anti-religous on the whole.

I always thought he had some belief in a god because he signed his scripts S.D.G" (Soli Deo Gloria) – "To God Alone The Glory. Thanks for letting me know otherwise.

• Moderators Posts: 51,709 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

tumblr_lzp6a8f8ua1qdqya3o1_500.jpg

If you can read this, you're too close!

193631.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Don't think this one's been quoted yet:

"The only difference between a cult and a religion is the amount of real estate they own". (Frank Zappa)

• Advertisement

:D

tumblr_lztzsmC33Q1r5xw51o1_500.jpg

194933.JPG

tumblr_m0bhnx87EY1rq5q1ko1_500.jpg

^^^ That Randi quote looks like something distilled from Eric Hoffer's book: "The True Believer, Thoughts on the Nature of Mass Movements":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_True_Believer
    http://www.amazon.com/True-Believer-Thoughts-Nature-Movements/dp/0060916125

The book is brilliant.

tumblr_m0ej9rCRqF1qkoo4k.jpg
    tumblr_m0eja6Rbw91qkoo4k.jpg
    tumblr_m0ejagnEeO1qkoo4k.jpg
    tumblr_m0ejatlEE31qkoo4k.jpg

tumblr_m0f5s8Ok3K1r1dy8xo1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Barr125

Prayer is like masturbation, it only makes yourself feel good.......

Prayer is also like masturbation in that it show be done at home in private and kept out of schools.

I laughed so hard when I saw that, original here: Prayer is like Masturbation..

tumblr_m0jy6dToEb1rrr88to1_500.jpg

‎"Some people have views of God that are so broad and flexible that it is inevitable that they will find God wherever they look for him. One hears it said that 'God is the ultimate' or 'God is our better nature' or 'God is the universe'. Of course, like any other word, the word 'God' can be given any meaning we like. If you want to say 'God is energy', then you can find God in a lump of coal"

-Steven Weinberg.

• Advertisement

“For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can’t readily accept the God formula, the big answers don’t remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command nor faith a dictum. I am my own god. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.”

— Charles Bukowski

Advertisement