Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How do i change user name on Windows & move everything?

Options
  • 06-01-2009 2:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'd like some help on a little problem, i'd like to change the user name on Windows as it was away getting fixed, but it was collected too early &( long story short) My Docs is on the desktop & the guy forgot my name & renamed it something else :o

Also i'd like to change over to Thunderbird from Outlook Express as i heard it was very nifty app to use. Will it be difficult to export the contacts etc?

Thanks for your help in this matter, as i was told of this site by someone for various things at Christmas (seems like a long time now)

Happy New Year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,631 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Thunderbird (and Mozilla in general) makes it its mission to get you off of microsoft branded software :p its as easy to import all your settings from outlook to thunderbird as it is from IE to Firefox: Click...done.

You can simply rename yourself in the control panel under users. Or, if you want to be thurough about it, set up a second profile, move your docs over to it, and then delete your current user profile. I found that when I simply renamed my user profile I still had C:\ extensions relating to the old user name that the HP technician had picked out for me (that douche)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

For a clean sweep of your old username then the File and Settings Transfer Wizard is handy. It's built into XP and located in Start->All Programs-->Accessories-->System tools. It's really for moving everything to a new pc but also works for moving to a new profile on the same pc.

1. Run the windows File Transfer Wizard, choose 'This is my old computer' and it'll back up all your files and settings to a file. When it asks what type of files you want to backup choose what you want or everything. Save it on your hard drive or memory stick.
    2. Create the new user account in control panel.
    3. Log out of the old account and into the new one.
    4. Run the File Transfer Wizard again and choose 'This is my new computer'. Point it to the backup file you created in step 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭dave_29

Hi there,

Sorry i couldnt make it back sooner as i was delayed, i got the answer early this morning & let the transfer wizard do its stuff seemed the easiest way forward, or so i thought!

As i went through the procedure as outlayed, but when i came back to it hours later, nothing was saved in the backup folder on the desktop?
    Even though i saw stuff being backed up?

I ended up moving stuff from the old My Docs, My Pics etc, as i hadnt enough time to figure out what went wrong.

Thanks for the help & hopefully it'll be straightforward installing Thunderbird :o.

Advertisement