Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Long gaming sessions can kill

Options
  • 02-08-2011 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-14350216

Not to make light of this young lads death, from DVT but who has ever played a game for 12 hrs or more. I personally could only play for 4-5 hours before my eyes start going wonky. What the longest seesion people have played?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

How the hell anyone could do something for that length of time is beyond me ive had longer sessions than 12 hours but i will get up and walk around every 1-2 hours and stretch

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Used to do some mega sessions alright, although i think i'd usually throw in the towel after 9 or 10 hours.

Simple solution? get kids. you'll be lucky to sit down for half an hour.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Wonder does having your feet up help/worsen the risks of DVT?

Suppose it lessens it given you don't get DVT by spending 8 hours plus asleep every night.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sitting down for twelve hours in any situation is risky. It happens on planes, can happen with games, TV, whatever.

Three hours is the max I'd ever play in one sitting. And even that would include breaks for drinks, food, toilet or whatever.

As Johnny Ultimate suggests I too would regularly get up and move around not least because as I get closer to my 30s the number of pisses I need to take a day matches my age.

And sure if you're going for a piss you may aswell make a cup of tea.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Saying it's risky is a bit over the top imo. If you are in decent health, the chances of something like this happening are very very slim. I mean, it's not like the guy in question was on his first 12 hour bender. He did this all the time from what i've read. I've done longer gaming sessions before, but i'd also exercise and walk around regularly.

The Sun's headline was a joke though...Death by XBOX!
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3723107/Lad-of-20-is-killed-by-blood-clot-caused-by-playing-his-Xbox-for-up-to-12-hours-at-a-time.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Kiith wrote: »
    Do you expect anything less from the sun.

Love the way the Sun has a picture of Halo Reach. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I remember before broadband came to Ireland Netshop in temple bar use to do 12 hour all night gaming sessions of CS RA2 etc etc. A few internet cafes did it, but netshop was the first one I went to.

Did it a few times. Good nerdy times...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭Wossack

done well longer then that in my time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Kiith wrote: »

They didn't want to go with Death by SITTING! in case it started riots of people too afraid to sit and the burning of couches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    I remember before broadband came to Ireland Netshop in temple bar use to do 12 hour all night gaming sessions of CS RA2 etc etc. A few internet cafes did it, but netshop was the first one I went to.

Did it a few times. Good nerdy times...

Did the same in dnc in temple bar, was always good craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'm no stranger to 16 or 18 hour Morrowind binges. Although I was working night security at the time, so that was messing up my sleeping patterns anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Burgo wrote: »
    Did the same in dnc in temple bar, was always good craic.

been to dnc a few times. I perferred Netshop cause it was a more organised affair (smaller so everyone there were playing in the same match)

but I am sheepish to admit after a formal affair went sour I did end up in DNC playing CS in a tuxedo at 4am in the morning til the first train home.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

These days I don't get as much time as I used to to play, but even at that after a few hours I'd find myself not tuned in as much, just running about the place, getting killed easily etc.

I find it far more satisfying to play to my best for even a half hour and stop then happy that I'd played a bit and did well. Mainly a PC gamer this weather anyway so even in time sinks like MMOs I like to get on and do something straight away and get out, other wise it's just a glorified chat program you're using.

I try to balance things as much as I can, so if I find I'm doing too much gaming I'll go off and do something else. There's diminishing returns in these things, 3 hours of play isn't necessarily twice as much fun as an hour and a half. I've often played for long periods only to be completely frustrated by the time I've finished, which defeats the purpose.

Pity about the young fella, very young age to die. Again, another gaming bashing article too. There's a happy medium, rarely are things bad in and of themselves. It's all about the balance, or lack thereof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Long *anything* sessions will kill you if you don't tend to your physical needs. Still, marathon gaming is unlikely to ever kill as many people as road deaths, or even vending machine related ones, so it's really just a kneejerk reaction expected from the Sun.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

As Johnny Ultimate suggests I too would regularly get up and move around not least because as I get closer to my 30s the number of pisses I need to take a day matches my age.

And sure if you're going for a piss you may aswell make a cup of tea.

Now I'm no medical professional but I think that may be the source of your frequency problem rather than your age :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

"His father David believes the condition may have been triggered by long gaming sessions."

after this it was a bit pointless to read as its not a fact he died from video games.

just a few things, before they will blame all on video games.

1. look at him, he is not "sexy bikini model 2011", so exercise is not his strongest point ( i am on fat side myself, so fudge of moral police), sitting on his hole was one of his favorite activities. i bet if he would watch telly and died from same thing, they still would blame computer games.
    2. He is 20 and he could play 12h on console... that is prety much same thing as getting a medal at pulling a fast one. I presume no work? no studies? one of those Social welfare heroes just starting out?

I can spend a lot of time at my pc, but i would newer ever could sit out 12h in one spot by my pc, not even talking about limited console entertainment.

GAMES DONT KILL PEOPLE, IDIOTS KILL THEMSELVES THEN BLAME GAMES!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

hmm... and I make a half-hearted effort to sort of shift about a bit upon reading this.

Sad news.

marco_polo wrote: »
    Now I'm no medical professional but I think that may be the source of your frequency problem rather than your age :pac:
    Yea, I re-read that a little later and had a eureka moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,805 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

As i said in AH, he was overweight judging by that picture, and that would help contribute towards DVT, as would sitting upright in a chair staring at a pc screen for 12 hours.

I have a giant leather beanbag i mould into, tv angled down towards me, hips in front of my torso so no weight lying on the legs. Also, and a little trick i picked up in the FCA, i wiggle my toes alot, keeps the circulation going.

His own fault as far as i can see, unless something else emerges to make it different. Still, sad. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

I eat 12 hour sessions for breakfast, amateur!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Gaming didn't kill him, fatness and laziness did

I cycle as much as I can when I'm not gaming. Exercise is the essential part.

I've put in many a 12+ hour session on C&C with friends

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

In fairness his father is trying to highlight a problem of immobility, which just so happens to be in his case from gaming. He says it is similar to long haul flights, which it is.

The difference is that people think sitting in your room for extended periods of time playing a computer would do much more than give you a head-ache, sore eyes,make your arse fall asleep and isolate you from your friends....

Fair play to the parents, they realize the enjoyment people get from games and are just trying to highlight some of the dangers of binge gaming.

At the end of the day this guy had no underlying medical problems or a medical history anywhere near related to DVT....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Went 4 days playing a game just after the steam sale this year as i had free time then, was falling asleep at my desk and was getting up every now and again for food and the like.

Normally 6-8 hour is my limit but i usually get bored of whatever I'm playing after 2 hours and it has to be a good game, not playing much in the last week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Varik wrote: »
    Went 4 days playing a game just after the steam sale this year as i had free time then, was falling asleep at my desk and was getting up every now and again for food and the like.

Normally 6-8 hour is my limit but i usually get bored of whatever I'm playing after 2 hours and it has to be a good game, not playing much in the last week or so.
    Out of interest, what game did you spend 4 days(!) playing?!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It was the Steam sale....he probably had about 100 to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

x3 terran conflict.

Going by my steam stats, i played 100.7 hours in the last 2 weeks so since the 20th of july and have 236 hours logged on the game that i got on the 10th. So over the space of 10 days had 136 hours played on that game most of it at the start of the 10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,410 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Pair of compression stockings for long gaming sessions - sorted!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Grayhame

OK just on a quick look the only comment i can make is why after 6 hours did the father not think " hey he's been up there for a spell maybe he should come down and experence this thing called real-life" no?

Look its sad to hear that someone that young can die from just sitting down for too long but parents are ment to guide there kids and for one thing inform the of the outside world and how much better the graphics are out there.

Advertisement