Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Full Bonus Protection - Yay or Nay ?

• 12-12-2008 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,803 ✭✭✭

What's your thoughts on paying extra for NCB protection ?

I just got my renewal the other day and was looking at the breakdown.
    My net cost is €550 but I notice that the base premium is over €1400 :eek: before the various discounts etc are applied.

At the moment there is step back on it,which in the event of a claim would cut my NCB from 50% to 20% so it would be a fairly saucy renewal amount if I had a claim.

Full Protection would make my premium €620 odd,which just to me makes my insurance seem very expensive.

I'm accident free for decades and not planning one :D

Seven Worlds will Collide

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Insurance on your insurance - I find the very idea disgusting and would refuse to pay it on that basis....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I have it, i'm paying €475 on a 2.5 petrol turbo and i'd like to keep it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Same here but I still used to have full NCB protection. In my case it would mean I would keep my full no claims discount even if I had a (big) claim. The charge for this was about 15% on top of my premium. The main reason I went for it is that I had a fairly powerful car and if I had a claim and my premium would significantly go up, I wouldn't be able to afford the running costs of the car

• Registered Users Posts: 64,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Looks like Anan1 and I are in a similar situation :D

My last quote for the 3.5l V8 was something like €530, fully comprehensive and including business use and full NCB protection

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

I was accident free for decades too, till I hit ice and it cost 4K to fix the car, a few years ago...Had fully comp with bonus protector. Insurance paid it all...

After that I though the extra 70 quid I was paying was cheap...get it if your car is fairly new...

What's your thoughts on paying extra for NCB protection ?

I just got my renewal the other day and was looking at the breakdown.
    My net cost is €550 but I notice that the base premium is over €1400 :eek: before the various discounts etc are applied.

At the moment there is step back on it,which in the event of a claim would cut my NCB from 50% to 20% so it would be a fairly saucy renewal amount if I had a claim.

Full Protection would make my premium €620 odd,which just to me makes my insurance seem very expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Both my parents have it. My dad's insurance went up a 20 quid for that and various additions and my mam's up €150 for it because I'm on the policy.

My dad's €298 but €275 is the base cost of insurance with Hibernian (i.e lowest possible premium) and that includes legal fees, full NCB protection and personal injury in transit.

Definitely worth having. 2 at fault claims allowed in a 3 year period with no loss of no claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Ta me anseo

Just remember that with many companies, no claims bonus discount protection is only that. If you had 60% bonus before an accident you will have 60% afterwards too but this doesn't mean you will be paying anything like the same premium. Your basic premium may well increase significantly following an accident ad your 60% or whatever then taken off the new sum.

Many people take it to mean that their insurance will not go up following a claim. In almost all cases it will, and sometimes significantly.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

MYOB wrote: »
    Insurance on your insurance - I find the very idea disgusting and would refuse to pay it on that basis....

I hope you never make a mistake driving in that case. Mere mortals often take NCB protection as it's good value for some.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I hope you never make a mistake driving in that case. Mere mortals often take NCB protection as it's good value for some.

If I make a mistake, I'll take the hit. I find the very idea of selling insurance FOR insurance to be immoral - what the hell is the original insurance for in that case? How long until someone offers protection against your protection being removed?

Advertisement