Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Involved in relatively minor hit & run - what step to take next?

• 11-12-2008 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi all,
    Don't know if this is altogether relevant to this thread but here goes -
    On a roundabout, on the way to work one morning, another driver approached, from my left & rammed the side of my car. I had seen her coming was not possible to avoid her. I swerved slightly minimising the impact to an extent. She then pulled away & continued on her way as if nothing had happened! Luckily I had passengers in the car who got the reg & managed to report to the Gardai. They located the driver & she claimed full liability, advising she would pay for the damage. Her excuse for not stopping was that 'she didn't think it was that bad'. Luckily none of us were injured, apart from my driving confidence being shaken for a while as I had never been involved in an accident prior to this. The damage could have been worse & I have now gotten a quote from a panel beater to approach the driver with. She is not going through her insurance - advised will pay outright. I want to keep it strictly in writing & not speak to her by phone or in person.

Can anyone who has been in a similar position provide a letter draft or some advise which would assist in my contact with the other driver?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Moved from Commuting & Transport - think this is most appropriate? If not bat it back to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

I would suggest reporting it to your insurance company and to hers (the Garda should be able to give you this info).

Personally I wouldn't be too happy with a private settlement given she drove off the first time round. She'll no doubt not like the price of it anyway as car repairs always cost more than they seem.

My couple of cent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Agree with Random.

She could potentially start messing you around. Now I know any person who could do this but I definitely foresee this happening in this case

Run this through the insurance company, let them handle it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Insurance company...

no time for dilly dallying , been there done that.let her suck it up

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I agree, insurance company all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd also be asking the Cops what they propose do do about the lady leaving the scene of an accident?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

As others have said, contact your insurance company immediately. They will contact her insurance company, who will in turn contact her. This not prevent her from paying for the damage herself - it's a no claims bonus, not a no accident bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ITMissy

Insurance company all the way, dont wait. Do not deal privately. My mam did this once and it took ages for quilty party to pay for the damage.
    And it is not worth the hassle. If this woman would leave the scene of an accident i dont think she will in too much of a hurry to settle with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

The other driver did not have the decency to stop at the accident, why should you accomdate her? Get it sorted ASAP, I am sure you want your car sorted by Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,148 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I had this before. He wanted to pay without telling his insurance company and then when he got the quote thought it was too expensive to pay out of his own pocket so then he contacted him insurance company.................................................

only to find out that I had provided them with the details a long time before he did.

Although he was unhappy about it, rules are rules.

Also, throw the book at her. The cheek to suggest the crash was not "that bad". I had a woman open her 96/97 punto door smash into my wing whilst I was sitting waiting for the lights. I asked her what she was thinking to which she replied "its only a car". AAARRGGGHH Your **** box may just be a car but this €40k car is actually worth something bitc*h.

Gardai - Leaving the scene of an accident

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭felim

Never again will I agree to keep an accident out of the insurance companies' hands. It's not worth the hassle when the other party decides to start arguing once they see the bill. Inform your insurer and hers straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

felim wrote: »
    Never again will I agree to keep an accident out of the insurance companies' hands. It's not worth the hassle when the other party decides to start arguing once they see the bill. Inform your insurer and hers straight away.

+1.Dont risk it .Hit and run drivers dont make the best payers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

I'd press for charges to be brought against her.

Oh yeah, insurance company all the way. That's one way of making sure she pays a price for buggering off.

Advertisement