Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

retained firefigher

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mojopin10

Comfortable tracksuit bottoms, jeans are an awful idea. Tshirt should be fine you will be running a good bit. Normal sports socks seems are fine for me but whatever suits yourselfs. I've seen on this 3 week recruits course they seem to be pushing recruits a bit more. More bollockings if you get me. I spoke to a few people who did the three week and were nearly ready to pack it in. I cannot stress enough how different the job is compared to the recruits course. You get a good foundation on the recruit course but when you get on the job everyone will cut you the slack you deserve as it was everyone's first day at some point. Some people beat themselves up when they make mistakes on a recruit course but that's why your there. To mess up, and to learn from it. So you may think your instructor is being harsh, you may be sick of doing the same drill for 4 hours but put your head down, work as hard as you can and keep going. Three weeks is a very short time for a job you hopefully will be doing for a long long time. I hope that helps a bit. If your asking this many questions it's clear your keen and that will show. Head down, mouth shut, listen, enjoy :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Thanks for the replies lads i appreciate it, trackies it is then and i guess the berroca would be handy for a bit of extra energy,im looking forward to it now its been a long wait:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Everything the lads have said above is absolutely dead on. Bring plenty of spare socks n jocks and T shirts you will go through them!

Bring some talc or foot powder and look after your feet, when doing mine I had new fire boots that I hadn't been able to fully break in and I suffered with blisters on heels of both feet towards the end of my training, nothing worse than running pump relays and rolling hose in agony.

Don't change anything about your daily diet too drastically but do eat well you will need it.. Berroca is a great help, you WILL sweat buckets, it'll help to replace some of what you sweat out. Keep well hydrated, you'll be told about this by your Instructors.

Hi lads, just wondering is your retainer payed at a certain date every 3mths for everyone or is it payed every 3mths from the day you start?
    Also as im starting my training at start of october do i get payed for my first month at start of nov and is my training pay included in that first months pay
    is the 3wks recruit training counted as work or will my working hrs only start when my training is finished.
    hope i made sense thanks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Fire1985

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Hi lads, just wondering is your retainer payed at a certain date every 3mths for everyone or is it payed every 3mths from the day you start?
    Also as im starting my training at start of october do i get payed for my first month at start of nov and is my training pay included in that first months pay
    is the 3wks recruit training counted as work or will my working hrs only start when my training is finished.
    hope i made sense thanks:)

Retainer is every 3 months ands it's the same date as everyone else.

The recruit training is separate as far as I remember. You'll only begin your retainer hours when u get a beeper and attend drill nights

• Advertisement

Fire1985 wrote: »
    Retainer is every 3 months ands it's the same date as everyone else.

The recruit training is separate as far as I remember. You'll only begin your retainer hours when u get a beeper and attend drill nights

I was thinking the retainer would be same date as everyone alright, lets say for arguements sake the lads at my station will get their next retainer pay at the end of dec, and i officially start at the begining of nov,would i then be getting 2/3rds of the retainer ?

oh another thing, do you get paid for the recruit training as soon as you finish or do you have to wait a bit for it

I was thinking the retainer would be same date as everyone alright, lets say for arguements sake the lads at my station will get their next retainer pay at the end of dec, and i officially start at the begining of nov,would i then be getting 2/3rds of the retainer ?

oh another thing, do you get paid for the recruit training as soon as you finish or do you have to wait a bit for it

Ye you'll only get 2/3rds of retainer in that case. It goes by drill nights attended in the quarter and calls attended. You've to attend 80 or 90% of calls to get retainer I think . It'll be the next retainer when u get a full one .

I'm not sure about training pay.

I think if say on your first week of training that the firefighters are due their pay you'll get paid what you're owed so that'll be 1 week pay and then 2 weeks later you'll receive the remaining two weeks recruits pay

I think you'll be paid prior to the recruit training start date, this is usually to facilitate if you have to travel to the training center or have to stay over, this is how it goes in our County anyway. Our last guy did his 3 weeks in Foynes and was paid prior because he had to travel and stay over from Monday to Friday.

iceage wrote: »
    I think you'll be paid prior to the recruit training start date, this is usually to facilitate if you have to travel to the training center or have to stay over, this is how it goes in our County anyway. Our last guy did his 3 weeks in Foynes and was paid prior because he had to travel and stay over from Monday to Friday.

Yea ill be staying in a hotel from mon to fri and its about an hrs drive from where i live, nobody has mentioned anything about pay to me yet though and i didnt want to mention it anyway, i never expected that i might get paid before it though

thanks for getting back to me;)

Ye you'll only get 2/3rds of retainer in that case. It goes by drill nights attended in the quarter and calls attended. You've to attend 80 or 90% of calls to get retainer I think . It'll be the next retainer when u get a full one .

I'm not sure about training pay.

I think if say on your first week of training that the firefighters are due their pay you'll get paid what you're owed so that'll be 1 week pay and then 2 weeks later you'll receive the remaining two weeks recruits pay

So do you mean ill get payed after the first wk and then the other 2wks at end of the month when the other lads at my station get payed?

Is it different for each area around the country with regards to pay structure, its obviously not the same everywhere,you would think it would be the same everywhere

thanks for getting back to me btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭nicknackgtb

Hi all, have done interview and letter back saying I'm 3rd on a panel. What does this mean now? I think, after speaking with the station but they are unsure also, that there may be only 2 places available.

Having gotten this letter saying 3rd and on a panel, does this mean that the station may actually be hiring for 3 people or is it that should 1 drop out, I may still be in with a shout?

Thank you,

Hi all, have done interview and letter back saying I'm 3rd on a panel. What does this mean now? I think, after speaking with the station but they are unsure also, that there may be only 2 places available.

Having gotten this letter saying 3rd and on a panel, does this mean that the station may actually be hiring for 3 people or is it that should 1 drop out, I may still be in with a shout?

Thank you,

Basically if the station are taking on 2 ur next in line should someone fail medical or decide not to take the job. Otherwise you may be called in the next year or so depending on whether the station in question need another recruit. The panel has a life span so say it's a two year panel , in the next two years u could be called.

Best case scenario they need 3 straight away .

Hi lads, im in the middle of my recruit course atm and its going well so far but i was just wondering if anyone on here might be able to help me a little on opperating the main pump on the appliance, im at home for the wkend and would like to brush up on it
    is there any step by step operating guidline on it
    for taking water from a hydrant and from open source using either 45 or 70mm hose
    even a simple step by step
    such as 1. Connect hydrant to to pump, 2. Turn such and such a valve and so on so forth
    any help is much appreciated thanks.

Hi lads, im in the middle of my recruit course atm and its going well so far but i was just wondering if anyone on here might be able to help me a little on opperating the main pump on the appliance, im at home for the wkend and would like to brush up on it
    for taking water from a hydrant and from open source using either 45 or 70mm hose
    such as 1. Connect hydrant to to pump, 2. Turn such and such a valve and so on so forth

If I were you I'd ask one of the lads in the station you hope to work in just to have a look at it I assume they would be more than happy to help

Do you have a firefighter manual ?

I do yea but it doest say anything about how to opperate the pump

i know about putting on the pto, its just id like to know the exact procedure thereafter when connecting a hyrant or taking from open source

do i need to turn off tank to pump valve or can it be left on

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭nicknackgtb

Is this the manual that is found on the irish fire services website? If so is the latest one from 2001?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭lonfire1

Get stand pipe key and bar... Make down to hydrant and flush
    Get 70 mil hose ... from hydrant to rear of pump
    If your only re filling the appliance.. connect to tank refill only.
    If your pumping water , connect the hose into the inlets on the eye of the pump( where your suction screws on).I'm sure there will be 2 or 3 male inlets there for u to put the female end of the 70 mil hose onto.....
    Turn on p t o.... Open tank
    If using hose reel go to high pressure
    If using deliveries stay in low pressure etc....
    Better If someone e shows step by step
    Hopefully this helps you...
    The only pump you should be working on a recruits course is a portable pump.. the main pump is usually worked by the instructors.... So don't even worry...
    Just ask your DM in your station to go over the workings of the pump for u.... Showing interest is a good thing...
    When I started first I was very eager and didn't stop asking questions 😃

Ok folks i just finished my 3 wk recruits course on fri, i was ment to start tomorrow but my so rang me to say it will more then likely be start of nov due to the papers being sent to dublin and back again .

Anyway i would just like to thank everyone on here over these past months who helped me out and threw great ideas and knowledge my way, it was all really appreciated and ill be back for more ( ideas and knowledge )

Thanks again guys;):)

Ok folks i just finished my 3 wk recruits course on fri, i was ment to start tomorrow but my so rang me to say it will more then likely be start of nov due to the papers being sent to dublin and back again .

Anyway i would just like to thank everyone on here over these past months who helped me out and threw great ideas and knowledge my way, it was all really appreciated and ill be back for more ( ideas and knowledge )

Thanks again guys;):)

Congrats man. Enjoy and be safe.

• Advertisement

Well done Shamrock55, it's a great achievement and relax you'll be on the run soon enough ;)

Just thought id pop in to say hello:), hope everyone is having a great new year, things going well 3mths in, 13 calls so far this year all is good, my ba course is either april or october there are 2 because we had such a large number at the recruits, id like to get it done in april but then id miss out on all the gorse fires,and oct is miles away

Just thought id pop in to say hello:), hope everyone is having a great new year, things going well 3mths in, 13 calls so far this year all is good, my ba course is either april or october there are 2 because we had such a large number at the recruits, id like to get it done in april but then id miss out on all the gorse fires,and oct is miles away

Do you know where you will be doing your BA training in?

mojopin10 wrote: »
    Do you know where you will be doing your BA training in?

Clonmel i think

Clonmel i think

Great place, great facility, best in the Country. Keep up your fitness your going to need it, tough but very enjoyable course.

Advertisement