Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

dowlingm wrote: »
    Have just been reading about the Bombardier Spacium 3.06 sets SNCF has ordered for Paris regional commuter. 1500VDC, articulated, 87mph top speed, 915mm door height above rail, 94m or 112m length with short cars and with carriage widths just inside Irish loading gauge widths. Looks better than the side of a fridge too. SNCF entry to service in 2013. Just the thing for a long route like Drogheda-Kildare.

I like, but it will probably be some boxy piece of low bid crap instead...
    Yeah, the Dart is seriously the ugliest thing I have seen in ages. It looked dated even in the 80s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

Bombardier is part of the nascrail consortium, so maybe they'll supply the trains. Least of my worries what shape the trains are!

The pearse tunnel looks about 100m to me - that's a 1 minute walk and the new station entrance expands the pedestrian catchment area a little east.

Platforms will be about 100m long. If you've ever been a regular city rail commuter, you'll know that people start to figure out which end of the train is best to board so that they alight closest to their preferred exit. In the couple of minutes spent waiting for the train, the regulars naturally move along the platform to board at the right places for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭tubbs26

As matter of interest what are the proposed journey times? For example how long will it take to get from Hazelhatch to Pearse?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Pretty much same as now Hazelhatch - Heuston and then 10 mins Heuston - Pearce. It looks like the missing link will not be done for at least 10 years +

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

dynamick wrote: »
    Platforms will be about 100m long. If you've ever been a regular city rail commuter, you'll know that people start to figure out which end of the train is best to board so that they alight closest to their preferred exit. In the couple of minutes spent waiting for the train, the regulars naturally move along the platform to board at the right places for them.

I'm pretty sure the platforms will be 200m?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

you're right - i was thinking of metro platforms

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭trellheim

To try and establish exact distances for the platforms etc from one another at Pearse I am trying to get down all of the documents using wget but it fails on the weird filenames they are using ... has anyone else mirrored that site ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

trellheim wrote: »
    To try and establish exact distances for the platforms etc from one another at Pearse I am trying to get down all of the documents using wget but it fails on the weird filenames they are using ... has anyone else mirrored that site ?

Can't you use Firefox with DownThemAll? That worked perfectly for me.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

dynamick wrote: »
    Bombardier is part of the nascrail consortium, so maybe they'll supply the trains. Least of my worries what shape the trains are!

Any new trains needed will be acquired outside of this. The Dart Underground Public Private Partnership is just a infrastructure project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I'm going to guess one of the major factors determining station location is that they do not want the platforms on a curve or tight turns in the tunnel. This leads to problems for access for less mobile people as well as a safety hazard. There shouldn't be any need for "mind the gap" notices in Dublins new infrastructure.

There could be other technical difficulties as well. I know the ground type suddenly changes from stiff clay to soft permeable muds and sands in that part of the city.

I'm after having a bit more of a think about this. As far as I'm aware all the stations are to be built using a cut and cover technique. To have it directly beneath Pearse would require demolishing and rebuilding the station whilst severing the dart for years. Not feasible.

Incidentally I hate the way people give out about engineering decisions. The way some people and indeed the media go on you would think that such an important thing like location of a station was decided on arbitrary factors. This is of course grossly out of step with what actually happens, one will find that a lot of thought goes into even relatively minor decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

I'm after having a bit more of a think about this. As far as I'm aware all the stations are to be built using a cut and cover technique. To have it directly beneath Pearse would require demolishing and rebuilding the station whilst severing the dart for years. Not feasible.

I was under the impression that Pearse was to be mined.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭markpb

Stonewolf wrote: »

IIRC Pearse, O'Connell Bridge and a third station that I can't remember right now are to be mined.

markpb wrote: »
    IIRC Pearse, O'Connell Bridge and a third station that I can't remember right now are to be mined.

Stevens Green is to be mined so as to have minimal impact on the above ground area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

As far as I know, Heuston, Christchurch, St.Stephen's Green and Pearse will have mined platforms with Docklands being cut-and-cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Stevens Green is to be mined so as to have minimal impact on the above ground area.
    markpb wrote: »
    BluntGuy wrote: »
    As far as I know, Heuston, Christchurch, St.Stephen's Green and Pearse will have mined platforms with Docklands being cut-and-cover.

I'll have to pay closer attention to the documents/method statements released! Getting confused with Metro North. Thanks:)

Inchicore will be cut and cover too.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Inchicore will be cut and cover too.

I'm sure that's just retained cut, they won't be covering the station. It's just the tunnel portal that's cut-and-cover, no?

Even where a station is to be mined, there is digging to provide for the stairwells, escalators, elevators, emergency stairwells, and vents, and a second smaller dig to provide for secondly vents and secondly emergency stairwells.

monument wrote: »
    Even where a station is to be mined, there is digging to provide for the stairwells, escalators, elevators, emergency stairwells, and vents, and a second smaller dig to provide for secondly vents and secondly emergency stairwells.

Yeah but nothing to the extent of what you'd need for cut and cover as oppenheimer1 suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

I'm not sure if this has been covered, but I have heard a local Labour councillor has made an appeal to an bord pleanala for a station to be located at East Wall. Anyone think this will happen?

• Advertisement

These were up in East Wall in the last few weeks, also posters in house windows around the area...

4905196488_62e722b6b3.jpg

4904609143_40041ab95e.jpg

zootroid wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this has been covered, but I have heard a local Labour councillor has made an appeal to an bord pleanala for a station to be located at East Wall. Anyone think this will happen?

Doubt it.

Edit:

Do these campaigners have some sort of website or place we could get information on their proposals?

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Do these campaigners have some sort of website or place we could get information on their proposals?

They have a Facebook page with some extra posters in the photos gallery, little else at the moment: http://en-gb.facebook.com/group.php?gid=143165059033102

'Protect East Wall' -- "Campaigning for proper community consultation for the people of East Wall in response to the unveiling of the Dart Underground scheme."
    Yeah but nothing to the extent of what you'd need for cut and cover as oppenheimer1 suggested.

Having it directly beneath Pearse would still require demolishing and rebuilding a large section of the station and/or other building of larger size and more importance than under the current plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I don't usually have any time for NIMBYs but if IE really are planning on trucking out the spoil then surely questions have to be asked. Where is the spoil to be taken? Can it not be taken out by rail to a transfer point or even all the way to a disposal site adjacent to CIE land?

murphaph wrote: »
    I don't usually have any time for NIMBYs but if IE really are planning on trucking out the spoil then surely questions have to be asked. Where is the spoil to be taken?

No excuse for that , they should take the spoil out by rail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭trellheim

I am reading through the railway order, some of the diagrams show routes for spoil removal, SSG in particular, haven't got to Docklands yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

trellheim wrote:
    I am reading through the application for a railway order, some of the diagrams show routes for spoil removal, SSG in particular, haven't got to Docklands yet.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

I'm surprised how long this thread has gone without any updates.

I just found this video about DART Underground, I don't think it's been posted before but sorry if it has been.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8hMdzKhPGE

• Registered Users Posts: 13,848 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

monument wrote: »
    These were up in East Wall in the last few weeks, also posters in house windows around the area...

4905196488_62e722b6b3.jpg

Is the soil actually contaminated? If so, by what?

Is it not a good thing then if it's being removed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Transportuser09

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Is the soil actually contaminated? If so, by what?

Is it not a good thing then if it's being removed?

You'd think they would bring some of the soil out by train where possible. Aside from that though while there's no doubt residents will be distrupted, surely they'll benifit in the long run. You can't make an omlette without breaking some eggs.

Advertisement