Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Options To Accept Charitable Donations

• 23-11-2015 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi.

I have been tasked with setting up an existing website to accept donations through for a charity.

What are the best options both econonmically (i.e. how much does the payment processor take for each donation?) and for easy setup?

The website is currently running on Wordpress.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Talisman

The answer depends on the volume of monthly donations and the amounts involved.

AIB's Authipay is €22 per month for 300 transactions, additional transactions are €0.20 each.

Paypal offers a reduced rate for registered charities : 2.2% + $0.30 per transaction.

Realex charge €29 per month for 350 transactions, additional transactions are €0.12 each.

Stripe charges 2.4% + €0.24 per transaction.

VAT will be charged on top of these fees. There are WordPress plugins available to implement each of the solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Talisman wrote: »

AIB's Authipay is €22 per month for 300 transactions, additional transactions are €0.20 each.

Paypal offers a reduced rate for registered charities : 2.2% + $0.30 per transaction.

Realex charge €29 per month for 350 transactions, additional transactions are €0.12 each.

Stripe charges 2.4% + €0.24 per transaction.

VAT will be charged on top of these fees. There are WordPress plugins available to implement each of the solutions.

I believe Realex offer a special rate to charities if you have a registered charity number, and it's far less than the regular price. Give them a call and talk to your client because they're going to need a business bank account with merchant service agreement.

Stripe is expensive, Paypal is pretty good too. To be honest you're going to maybe want to give options to people if you want to max sales/donation conversions.

The Paypal integration isn't bad, Stripe is fairly easy and Realex is super easy now that they have an SDK. Braintree too have an excellent SDK for paypal if you're going native mobile. Saw it at web summit and it's really cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭rb25

Talisman wrote: »

How do the likes of https://www.everydayhero.com/ie/ compare to payment processor type integrations like Realex and PayPal?

[Note: I don't see any integration options with wordpress for everydayhero.com )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Talisman

I've attached an excel document highlighting the price differences over volumes.

To summarize the data It assumes an average ticket size of €20 and I haven't messed about with different ticket sizes yet but basically to summarize the data.

Paypal is very expensive, Stripe is less so and Realex is the cheaper than paypal after 30 transactions but most expensive per month initially. They are cheaper than stripe after 40 transactions. This is the charges for Realex only and they don't factor in a merchant service agreement cost for which there are too many options with too many pricing options.

Taking AIB as an example I think they would add on maybe 1% per transaction and a flat fee of €0.02.

Charge Backs are also a cost, if you incur fraudulent transactions which charities do a lot, so services like verified by visa and secure code are important. The cost of these fines should also be factored in because they will be different between paypal, stripe and the various acquiring banks that you would use to get set up with realex. Furthermore stripe and paypal may cut you off completely on a whim if you're incurring too many fraudulent charges, where as acquiring banks are regulated around this.

Ideally you'd want a number of payment options to a customer to maximize your sales conversions. Typically you will see a choice of payment gateways on most eCommerce websites.

I hope this helps.

• Advertisement

I actually got the transaction amount wrong for Realex. I have the cost per transaciton kicking in after 300 instead of 350. Also you could include SagePay on the sheet too if you copy the realex sheet and increase the monthly fee by €1.

Advertisement