Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Maths Paper 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Tbh it fits me like a well tailored suit.

....'Why do you dress me in borrowed robes?'

South Dublin.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

stop with the macbeth quotes i never want to look at english again.

i'm not a happy camper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

this correction aint the correction about the circle being on the same line though
    ok that word has now lost all meaning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

from the irish times. keep on moaning! That exam went arse ways. Q1 was crap. Q2, Q5, Q6 were al right. Q4 p(c) was gay and Q8 part c was gay

There goes my B

Maths exam confused pupils, claim teachers
    Kathryn Holmquist, Education Correspondent

The State Examinations Commission has defended itself against claims that yesterday's Higher Maths Paper II was unfair, as maths teachers reported widespread distress among students who sat the exam.

Teachers have alleged that Question 1 was unnecessarily difficult and confusing, getting students off to "an unfortunate start" and that many students were "agitated" leaving exam halls.

Adding to the confusion was the fact that superintendents were supposed to read out a correction to Question 1 at the beginning of the exam.

The Irish Times has received a report that at one school the superintendent did not read out the correction until 35 minutes into the exam.

There were reports that many students in various schools spent so much time trying to figure out Question 1 that they could not properly complete the rest of the exam.

Question 8 (c), meanwhile, was actually a highly theoretical Applied Maths question that did not belong on a general Higher Maths paper, teachers alleged.

Mr Jim Healy, a teacher at Terenure College in Dublin, said: "This question was not on the course and not in the maths books for those who did not study Applied Maths, and that would be the vast majority." Higher Level Maths is taken by nearly 10,000 students, 17 per cent of the total who sit maths exams. About 1,300 students - just 2 per cent of the total - study Applied Maths.

Dr Aidan Seery, of the Institute of Education, predicted that Question 8 (c) could lead to a higher failure rate this year.

"It depends on how they tweak (the marking)," he said. Students would have been "thrown off" by Question 1, he added.

The chief examiner, who cannot be identified for security reasons, said last night that any student, teacher or parent with a complaint should make it to the commission in writing.

There were reports last night that even students who had done well in their mocks feared they had failed the exam and ruined their chances of university places. The commission moved to offer reassurance, stating: "No students will be disadvantaged by any aspect of the examinations process which is outside of his or her control."

The difficulty of the exam, will not help the reputation of maths, which is becoming so unpopular that less than one in five students take the higher-level exam.

Meanwhile, the commission - which is running the examinations for the first time - confessed last night to an error concerning the Applied Leaving Cert.

Yesterday, the commission prematurely delivered copies of today's Leaving Cert Applied (Office Administration and Customer Care) to eight schools, as well as to The Irish Times.

Students who were meant to be doing Applied Engineering received the Office Administration paper instead.

When the mistake was discovered, the commission faxed copies of the Applied Engineering exam to schools.

Today an alternative version of the Office Administration and Customer Care subject will be taken by 460 students in 36 centres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,981 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Mr Jim Healy, a teacher at Terenure College in Dublin, said: "This question was not on the course and not in the maths books for those who did not study Applied Maths, and that would be the vast majority." Higher Level Maths is taken by nearly 10,000 students, 17 per cent of the total who sit maths exams. About 1,300 students - just 2 per cent of the total - study Applied Maths.

Page 177 of Texts and Tests 5 has a question almost identical to the one that came up yesterday. Sure am glad I opted out of going to Terenure. Teachers don't even know what's in their books!

All in all a pretty good paper I thought. Fair enough, I failed question 1 miserably but I aced question 4, 6 and 8, got all of 3 bar that stupid angle between the line and K (forgot the poxy formula!!!!) and I blanked on the proof in 5 part (c).

All in all, confident of a B1 - A2 and who knows, what with all this bitching, I might end up getting some sympathy marks for question 1!!!

Roll on Accountancy on thursday!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

did ne1 get an answer of 8 minutes for question 8[c]? thats what i got, a confirmation of this answer would put my mind a lot more at ease............it was a bit different from all the other minimum turning point questions i did but i think i might have done it the right way, expressing the distance using pythagoras, ie distance = square root of (4km-(x/10)km)squared + (x/5km)squared..................then differentiate ur distance and let it equal 0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭wiensta

jeez lads the situaltion was totally different in my school.. everyone thought the paper was a total bioch.. girls outside crying etc..

Good thing i did pass! :D

Our supervisor is writing a letter to the department about q1(b) and not giving us the correction. Think I got i right anyway but it'll be interesting to see how this develops.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Page 177 of Texts and Tests 5 has a question almost identical to the one that came up yesterday. Sure am glad I opted out of going to Terenure. Teachers don't even know what's in their books!

I was in his class and nearly everyone in the class got out that question so I wouldnt be so sure :)

I was tlaking to him after and he thought it was doable, and just because its in the books doesnt mean its on the course.
    He is the best teacher that I've ever had.

That was an applied maths question, and had applied maths tricks in it too, like changing from hours to minutes.
    Johnny Brown didnt cover it either, why you ask? Because it shouldnt have come up.

Anyway what do I care I got it perfectly :)

• Advertisement

I got it perfect too, but guess what i didnt do, convert hours to minutes :rolleyes:

Why you ask?
    I did it because I do applied maths I knew the trick :)

phb u saying that honours maths students arent expected to know how to change hours to minutes?????? I dont really think that knowing an hour contains sixty minutes is something you can only learn from an applied maths book!

No they should know it, but shouldnt be bloody looking for it.

Maths is about the idea, checking if you understand what th ehell is going on and seeing if you can use maths to work out practical applications of it, like in max/min questions.

You shouldnt be going into a maths exam looking for where the examiner is trying to trick you, it should be a straight foward quesiton with the problem being inside it, not in the reading of it.

Applied maths is full of those tricks and you are meant to look for them, but its not something that should come up in maths.

Phb as a matter of interest did you get 40mins for Q.8 c[iii]?

40 minutes is wrong, i think thats teh MAX value, wo chances are u got most of the question right, just took teh max value instead of the min. After 40 minutes the train travelling at 6kmh will have travelled the 4km and the ohter train would be 8km away. I think 8 minutes is right cos i checked the distance between them after 7,8 and 9 minutes. 8 was smaller than both 7 and 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

Em, I dunno, I thought question 8 (c) was routine, whether youre doing applied maths or not. It was just like the rest of them.. find a link, get the entire equation in terms of 'x', then dy/dx it.

The answer was 8 minutes. Coverting hours to minutes? Dunno how you can really consider that a trick.

wrote a quick computer program to make extra sure its 8 minutes, the computer agrees wit me, here are the distances between the two trains for the first 14 minutes:

1. 3.90512
    2. 3.82099
    2. 3.74833
    4. 3.68782
    5. 3.64005
    6. 3.60555
    7. 3.58469
    8. 3.57771 << lowest at 8 minutes
    9. 3.58469
    10. 3.60555
    11. 3.64006
    12. 3.68782
    13. 3.74833
    14. 3.82099

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

Although I would agree with PHB, that Jim Healy is indeed probably the best teacher I've ever had.

Originally posted by sionnach
    wrote a quick computer program

My. God.

• Advertisement

lol every1 thinks that writing a compuer program is some absolutely amazingly hard time consuming thing to do..well its not basically :D that program took only five minutes to write...... honestly!

ok ok, go write a program that says what the perfect formation for an ireland soccer team would be....now!!
    ok ya done then?!
    i KNEW colin healy was in it....

3-4-3

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭pseudonym

ah come on, all ya had to do was convert hours to minutes, use pythagoras, and differentiate, put that equal to zero and it comes out. Tis a typical maximise minimise question other than the bollocking around at the start with distances and x's and minutes. or so i thought...

I got 8 too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭spaczed

phew!

i got 8 as well. but it kinda threw me as i went astray somewhere with my f''(x) as it didn't look like a minimum.

but now that i think about it, greater than zero is a minimum, isn't it?
    double phew!

ahh bollox!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

did that tip ye man gave you come up. if so well done buddy.

i dropped down 2 weeks before hand so i really shouldn't be here.

i thought exams were meant to test you on what you know, not to try and trick u. stupid exams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 dosser

Okay, I'm pretty sure I got everything in Paper I, now this is what worries me:

I didn't get the final vector part :10 marks
    I messed up calculating on question two: 3-10 marks
    I didn't get that thing with the two circles on Q4. 10 marks.
    I did two things wrong on the probability question. 10 marks+
    I may not have gotten all the marks for question 1. even with all the time it took me.
    I undoubtedly messed up elsewhere as well.

Uh-oh.... how do you rate my chances of getting an A1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Ffs, forget the exam, or you'll drive yourself insane.

Advertisement