Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Three Broadband in Kilkee extremely slow.

• 07-07-2014 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Anyone having similar problems in Kilkee with Three broadband? Its crawling as in waiting for 30-40 seconds for a webpage to open on the lap top, ipad and iphones. I can understand peak time 7-10pm been a tad slow but its all the time. Anyone else using an alternative provider?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Not in Kilkee but generally find them quite good in North Clare & Ennis. Try selecting the 3 (3G) network manually since Three also roam on Vodafone for 2G?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Sully777

Mr. G wrote: »
    Not in Kilkee but generally find them quite good in North Clare & Ennis. Try selecting the 3 (3G) network manually since Three also roam on Vodafone for 2G?

I automatically do as I am using Ipad and iPhones with only use 3G. The Mi Fi can only work on 3G anyway. I called them anyway. The Engineers will investigate.

You might get more satisfaction from the Three Talk To forum. I cannot bare ringing their call centres.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Population is pretty swolen numbers wise this time of year so the speeds will suffer.

Try again at maybe 5am and see does that speed things up?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

What you have does not qualify as broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

What you have does not qualify as broadband.
    Yes it does, broadband can be classified as DSL, fibre or wireless. The device may not achieve the constant speeds of DSL or fibre but it is still considered broadband.

Definition for broadband:

The term broadband refers to the wide bandwidth characteristics of a transmission medium and its ability to transport multiple signals and traffic types simultaneously. The medium can be coax, optical fiber, twisted pair, DSL local telephone networks or wireless. In contrast, baseband describes a communication system in which information is transported across a single channel.

So technically speaking, yes it is broadband.

Although you could also call it bogband :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Okay, I thought I saw many a poster on Ireland Offline referring to it as midband as you don't have an always on connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭cgarvey

It is midband (which is not broadband). OECD, the EU, many European regulators, d'Americans, etc., all explicitly exclude 3G from their definition of broadband. However, it's not a protected term and not even a term described consistently in dictionaries, so anyone can sell any ould crap as broadband. Just look at the 3G providers!

As for advice to the OP, I'd echo the post above to check it at well-outside peak time to rule out contention. If it's contention, all you can do is contact the operator (often) and hope they do something about it. If it's your home "broadband" connection, and it's unusable you may have grounds to exit your contract without penalty (a grey area). Your case would be strengthened by a deteriorating service.

Relying on 3G (or 4G/LTE) as a primary "broadband" comes with wildly varying service levels, unfortunately, because of the technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Red Clover

Why not try Ripple. It has by far the most user numbers in the area and the wi-fi cspots are all Ripple.

• Advertisement

Red Clover wrote: »
    Why not try Ripple. It has by far the most user numbers in the area and the wi-fi cspots are all Ripple.

Lighthouse Networks are meant to be good.
    Although, I would only consider fixed wireless where ADSL/VDSL is not an option. Definitely better than a 3G connection.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'm an ex customer. It's not near good enough. Speeds vary from average to unusable, the service breaks down completely too often and for extended periods, support is dreadful, and it's far from cheap.

Apart from that it's wonderful ;)

Getting Eircom in was a right pain in the swiss - took ages and tested my patience, but it's fast, reliable, and reasonable value too.

This thread is about broadband in Kilkee. There is no Eircom in Kilkee. There are about four providers and none are good. Ripple the one I have is only 2megs download which when you have speeds in the hundreds in some parts of the world shows how far behind we are. Eircom was sold off by the Government in the early 2000s but should have been kept in public ownership with the specific task of ensuring that high-speed broadband was in every house in Ireland similar to what the ESB did with electricity supply in the 1950s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

My sister has bbnet in kilkee and getting about 7/8 mb. Was grand when I was usiusing anyway

Yes. I have heard mixed reports but some are certainly very favourable.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Sully777

Sully777 wrote: »
    Anyone having similar problems in Kilkee with Three broadband? Its crawling as in waiting for 30-40 seconds for a webpage to open on the lap top, ipad and iphones. I can understand peak time 7-10pm been a tad slow but its all the time. Anyone else using an alternative provider?
    Someone in Three must have turned on extra juice. The internet has been extremely satisfactory (considering the area ) since last Friday. An uncle if mine is a business customer and he contacted them last week. They said engineers were going to investigate. Anyway it's pretty good now so I am fairly pleased.

This thread is about broadband in Kilkee. There is no Eircom in Kilkee. There are about four providers and none are good. Ripple the one I have is only 2megs download which when you have speeds in the hundreds in some parts of the world shows how far behind we are. Eircom was sold off by the Government in the early 2000s but should have been kept in public ownership with the specific task of ensuring that high-speed broadband was in every house in Ireland similar to what the ESB did with electricity supply in the 1950s.

Of course there is.

Unfortunately the line to the Kilkee exchange is not capable of taking Eircom broadband (as confirmed by Eircom). The current suppliers of broadband in Kilkee are:
    Ripple
    bbnet
    permanet
    I am not sure if there are any more but these are the most popular ones and of these Ripple (even thought the service is not great and the speeds are dreadful and the contention ratio is very high) is by far and away the most popular. I hope this clarifies the situation in Kilkee.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

UK's considering melting down copper network to pay for fibre-optic - we should be doing the same!

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/aug/10/copper-telephone-network-switch-off-digital-communications-infrastructure-britain

Advertisement