Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PiP Implants support thread - Irish petition in post #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Pippy12

saulite wrote: »
    The other thing is they coming up with this report in IMB with such a small % of rupture and in real fact thr are so many girls with leaks and ruptures after scans .. Stay strong please xxxxxxx

This I agree is total crap!! Obviously there are people out their with leaks or ruptures, and that have no symptoms whatsoever. They will not have a realistic idea of the ruputre rate until every woman that received these implants has had an mri, so their statistics are well off in my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Pippy12

nettie80 wrote: »
    Hi Pippy12

So sorry to hear about your results, cant imagine how you must be feeling, good luck with your op in May :) I was wondering if you had any inclination of a rupture before hand? Did you have any symptoms or cause for concern before you had your scan? I have read previous posts where ladies have said they knew something was wrong or had problems with their implants. Personally, I have had no issues at all and am awaiting my results from my mri and its just made me want to ask if its possible to have a rupture but with no obvious signs or symptoms.

Thanks

Hi Nettie,
    Too be honest since I heard about pip implants I think I'v been imaging pain!ha. I don't know really. It's really hard to explain. What I think I realistically have prob felt for awhile is heat. Nothing painful just a hot sensation within my breast but to be honest this could easily have been written off as something else and I prob would never have thought there was a problem with my implant until I heard about the whole scandel! So i suppose to answer your question I would say I would have had no idea I had a rupture without the mri. And after getting a copy of my results today I've read that I have entercapsulated rupture which means the silicone had escaped out into my breast and is not confined as it should be. So you'd imagine I should have been in a lot of pain but I wasn't. Fingers crossed you get the results your hoping for and thanks for the support

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭saulite

Pippy12 wrote: »
    Hi Nettie,
    Too be honest since I heard about pip implants I think I'v been imaging pain!ha. I don't know really. It's really hard to explain. What I think I realistically have prob felt for awhile is heat. Nothing painful just a hot sensation within my breast but to be honest this could easily have been written off as something else and I prob would never have thought there was a problem with my implant until I heard about the whole scandel! So i suppose to answer your question I would say I would have had no idea I had a rupture without the mri. And after getting a copy of my results today I've read that I have entercapsulated rupture which means the silicone had escaped out into my breast and is not confined as it should be. So you'd imagine I should have been in a lot of pain but I wasn't. Fingers crossed you get the results your hoping for and thanks for the support

Just read the latest about PIP ultrasoud report !!

Ultrasound inaccurate

Not conclusive

There are many people talking about having an ultrasound to check if their implants are ruptured. We wanted to make it clear that an ultrasound is only 60% accurate so I am sure this will not put your mind at rest and is why many women who have been sent for an ultrasound who were told that they did not have ruptured implants but underwent surgery only to find that their implants had ruptured. The other factor is that the implants can sometimes have slow seepage that will not be detected from any scan and only becomes apparent when you undergo surgery.

MRI is best to go for the girls who still don't know what to do.. as you might go for ultrascan as I did and you don't get the right result and in real you might be in title for free operation as you can read in the latest news about PIP implants the latest report of ruptures are higher than we have been told by HMG .

• Registered Users Posts: 35 JustPeachy

Hi Saulite, I think you're right, you just need to have a read through this thread to see how many people here have had some kind of rupture or seepage confirmed. It's definitely at least 50%, from what I can see! I think we just need to get the things out of our bodies one way or another - borrow from friends as you had to do, get a loan, or get HMG or Clane or whoever to do it for free - for those girls unlucky enough to have ruptures. I can understand the girls who were kind of hoping for a bad result from the MRI... it's a bit of a catch 22 isn't it? Hopefully we can make them pay later for what they've done to us - through our solicitors, or by getting them sanctioned by the government or the medicines board - by writing to every politician and the IMB and making sure justice is done. Unfortunately we've seen from teh poor Hepatitis B ladies that the "powers that be" don't really care, so we need to just apply as much pressure as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ilmm2012

JustPeachy wrote: »
    I didn't see programme on tv last night, I didnt' realise it was on (hadn't gotten that far in the thread!)
    But I did see see you girls on TV3 the other morning, and you were brilliant! And it was great to show that as a group we're just normal girls, not pneumatic-chested barbie-wannabies!!

Hi JustPeachy glad i could be of some help on the support website I've been so busy on that all week that havent had time to come on Boards. I hope youre well I know this is all alot to take in but youre on the right thread and theres a great bunch of girls on here ready and willing to give advice. Thanks for your lovely message its great to have support on here from everyone too, we're trying our best to give a voice to you ladies on here and all over Ireland and hopefully we will get somewhere.

Re GP referral or Harley referral Id give Harley 1 more try if its Charter Medical or Mullingar youre after but Id ask them to fax your referral letter to them rather than send it out to you this is what I did and I have my MRI this week.

Hope this helps Sarita x

• Advertisement

Pippy12 wrote: »
    Hi girls
    Havent been on in awhile. Just wanted to say well done for ye're performance on the morning show. Ye all came across very well and finally I feel like our thoughts and concerns are been broadcast to the public. Without ye're bravery this whole mess would probably be swept under the carpet! Looking forward to prime time tonight and again well done ye really did us proud.

On a sadder note got results of my MRI yesterday, which was also the day Harley finally sent me my confirmation letter that I had PIP implants. I have a leak and inflammed lymph nodes on my left side and the right side was inconclusive!! On a slightly more positive note I am within the 6yrs so I am entitled to get mine replaced for free. I have not met the surgeon yet I have opted to wait until May to have my surgery (my own decision). If this had not come to light I could have been sitting here for another 4 or 5 years with industrial silicone leaking into my body! Not impressed. For all I know this leak could have been there for the last 4 or 5 years!!

I wonder ifthe price of my MRI will be refunded to me, if my 3 trips to Dublin will be funded and if my travel expenses to Mullingar will be funded. I also wonder if I will be compensated for the pain I am going to have to go through for removal and replacement, and the pain and recovery time in the weeks that follow the operation.

While I am annoyed I was ever put in this situation I am relieved I'll have them replaced for free as I do not have a fraction of the money needed to replace them myself. So for all ye girls who do not have leaks or ruptures I would still like to offer my support , no of us deserved to have this product inserted into our bodies and none of us deserve to have to pay to have this faulty, substandard product removed!!

Hi Pippy I'm so sorry to hear about the results of your MRI and I cant blame you for being so angry you have any right but like you said at least there is a positive if you can even call it that I know youre trying to look on the bright side. Thank you so much for your support it means everything to us, when times are tough we all need to be there for each other, to vent and share our stories, to hold each other up as there could be a long road ahead yet!!!

kitty31 wrote: »
    Hi every1 its my first time on this to...I had mine done wit <snip> in 2008 aswell i got scan few wks ago and had rupture... I was so scared and had to go for consultation with <snip> before opp and the way i was treated by surgeon was terrible made me feel so intimidated sorry not tryin to scare anyone.... I had my opp last fri but i was so scared going in for it he never made me feel one bit comfortable like i had done wrong, but had no choice i had to get it done,i have 2 small kids and had to think of them and my health... I didnt have the money to pay to get them done again like alot of women.. and should NOT have to..... My opp went well other than that thank God still on the mend..Have Check up on Sat and will be putting Complaint in against him once im checked over and he will get a piece of my mind over the Way i was treated.. How DARE HE..

Hi Kitty sorry to hear about the way you were treated by your surgeon it's a disgrace but good on you complaining they have got away with far too much for far too long and know the sh1t is hitting the fan they think they can treat us like dogs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 JustPeachy

Meeting Cosmedico at lunchtime today, will let you all know how I get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jeano8

Good luck just peachy but they are lovely there xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 EllaR

Hi, I'm new but been following this thread for a few days and it's my main source of information so thanks so much. I got pip's through hmg in 2004 and late last wk I started to feel heat, stinging and discomfort. I think I'm in shock because quite calm but it's very hard to get help or get anything moving quickly. I've been ringing trying to get scan but earliest confirmed appoint so far is 2feb. Pls if u could recommend a good place to get quick MRI pls do.
    Also have appointment with cosmedico to talk about surgery. I really need a scan first but have to do something.
    If anyone could recommend surgeon pls do. I don't trust any of them now. I really feel I need a good one because Im sure I've a rupture from my symptoms. Ive been googling everything so far because my GP knows nothing and I don't no where to go for answers. I'm afraid to exercise or lift anything but trying to continue as normal. Every day I feel I'm doing more damage though.
    Has anyone been through this and knowswhether it's possible not to get them replaced? Does it really look terrible. At moment I don't care I just to keep my health and would rather not get them in again.
    Thanks so much, you girls from pip action group have been brilliant

• Advertisement

ilmm2012 wrote: »
    kitty31 wrote: »
    Hi every1 its my first time on this to...I had mine done wit Harley in 2008 aswell i got scan few wks ago and had rupture... I was so scared and had to go for consultation with Harley before opp and the way i was treated by surgeon was terrible made me feel so intimidated sorry not tryin to scare anyone.... I had my opp last fri but i was so scared going in for it he never made me feel one bit comfortable like i had done wrong, but had no choice i had to get it done,i have 2 small kids and had to think of them and my health... I didnt have the money to pay to get them done again like alot of women.. and should NOT have to..... My opp went well other than that thank God still on the mend..Have Check up on Sat and will be putting Complaint in against him once im checked over and he will get a piece of my mind over the Way i was treated.. How DARE HE..

Hi Kitty sorry to hear about the way you were treated by your surgeon it's a disgrace but good on you complaining they have got away with far too much for far too long and know the sh1t is hitting the fan they think they can treat us like dogs!!
    God kitty that is awful u poor thing but dont min then what goes around comes around i ha my mri thursday im dreading the results have to meet with himself at the end of march BRING IT ON!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 EllaR

Sorry, Ella here. I said appointment for MRI was 2nd feb, I meant 2nd April

EllaR wrote: »
    Hi, I'm new but been following this thread for a few days and it's my main source of information so thanks so much. I got pip's through hmg in 2004 and late last wk I started to feel heat, stinging and discomfort. I think I'm in shock because quite calm but it's very hard to get help or get anything moving quickly. I've been ringing trying to get scan but earliest confirmed appoint so far is 2feb. Pls if u could recommend a good place to get quick MRI pls do.
    Also have appointment with cosmedico to talk about surgery. I really need a scan first but have to do something.
    If anyone could recommend surgeon pls do. I don't trust any of them now. I really feel I need a good one because Im sure I've a rupture from my symptoms. Ive been googling everything so far because my GP knows nothing and I don't no where to go for answers. I'm afraid to exercise or lift anything but trying to continue as normal. Every day I feel I'm doing more damage though.
    Has anyone been through this and knowswhether it's possible not to get them replaced? Does it really look terrible. At moment I don't care I just to keep my health and would rather not get them in again.
    Hi ellar i had my mri in charter medical on thursday and they were lovely it cost €280 and shoukd get my results this week if you ring hmg and ask them to send a referal lettet by fax i was only waiting a week so fingers crossed for you and make sure to mention u have symptoms and try to get an appointment then to see the surgeon so that you can get in as quick a possible to have these removed i also dont want to replace but dont know what it would look like so looking into this at the mo also so if anyobe knows anything could u let us kbow thanks xxx hope ur ok ella dont worry us girls from pip action group have plenty more up our sleeves so stay strong xxxx:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 sue103

Hi EllaR,
    Firstly thank you for supporting us we PIP action group are trying to help everyone in this terrible situation. Have you been to see your GP? They should be able to refer you for an MRI. Ultrasound is coming back that it is only 40 to 60% accurate so I would suggest MRI. HMG will refer you for MRI but it is a matter of getting through to them.

I had mine removed and replaced with Cosmedico 3 weeks ago now and found them brilliant, they will give you all the information you need before any surgery. It is a very personal decision whether to have them replaced or not so I'm sure the staff at Cosmedico will be able to assist you on that one. If you need anything else please let me know and i will try to help you

Good luck hon, I was thr today for my check up !! I am very happy with after care , my doctor is really good and everyone is lovely thr !! Hope all goes well for you too .
    :)

Hi Ella I am so sorry to hear you have to go thru this and its so frustrating tht GP doesn't have a clue they shud know by now , why IMB doesn't inform them , seriously ggggrrrr !! My advice to you try to not to worry too much I know its hard and I so feel for you !! Stay strong please ! Get your MRI done first , I heard hmg is sending their girls to mullingar st francis , try to ring them and ask them what they can do for you !! I had my PIP'S removed in Cosmedico and I was very happy with them , think if you meet surgeon thr you will have many questions to ask and you will know if you happy to go with them , I was happy with my choice of surgeon , but I don't want to mention his name ..sorry its just really your choice now , cosmedico is offering to meet all of the surgeons and you can look at their med history as they give you all the info about surgeons ! About replacing or not again I think its really up to you .. I was happy to go for augmentation what I wasn't happy about the product they used , I did a good research on implant and happy with the result.. Good luck hon with evrth and yr choice.. try to stay strong and we are here for you !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 gabby1205

Hi girls Iv been following this thread since this nightmare began. I've finally plucked up the courage to post. Ive also got pip implants I've had my MRI and no rupture but I still want these implants out! I'm on two minds whether to just have explant or have them replaced. Can anyone tell me if they have had them replaced, how long was hosp. Stay? What is recovery like? Did they need drains? did they opt for silicone or saline implants. I've read on the net that with saline if they rupture they are safer. Sorry lots of questions but I want to be 100% sure before I make up mind don't want to have to go through ever again.. girls I'd just like to say thankyou for all the hard work yee have done your an inspiration to us all you should be soo proud of yourselves watched tv3 and primetime v. Encouraging keep up the fantastic work both myself and hubby have signed petition!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 nettie80

Good news, got my results today and there is no rupture, everything is at it should be! Major relief, I'm not going to lie, its been a crappy few days but now I at least know what to do.

For all the ladies awaiting their results, chin up and fingers crossed you get a good result. xxxx

nettie80 wrote: »
    Good news, got my results today and there is no rupture, everything is at it should be! Major relief, I'm not going to lie, its been a crappy few days but now I at least know what to do.

For all the ladies awaiting their results, chin up and fingers crossed you get a good result. xxxx
    Ah nettie thats great news so happy for u xxx

gabby1205 wrote: »
    Hi girls Iv been following this thread since this nightmare began. I've finally plucked up the courage to post. Ive also got pip implants I've had my MRI and no rupture but I still want these implants out! I'm on two minds whether to just have explant or have them replaced. Can anyone tell me if they have had them replaced, how long was hosp. Stay? What is recovery like? Did they need drains? did they opt for silicone or saline implants. I've read on the net that with saline if they rupture they are safer. Sorry lots of questions but I want to be 100% sure before I make up mind don't want to have to go through ever again.. girls I'd just like to say thankyou for all the hard work yee have done your an inspiration to us all you should be soo proud of yourselves watched tv3 and primetime v. Encouraging keep up the fantastic work both myself and hubby have signed petition!
    Hi gabby so glad u have no rupture but completely understand u want them out asap if u have any chance of getting some money together alot of the ladies on here have been saying great things about cosmedico and i think a consultation with them is free so u could cintact them and a few other clinics to see what your options are i know a few clinics are operating ata reduced rate for pip girls also have looked into alot of implants u just have to do your homework i suppose but the nagor and allergan naturelle seem to be the good ones at the mo but like everything im weary of them all im strongly thinking of just explanting and imbtrying to gatjer some info on this at the moand will be speaking witha surgeon at the weekend so il let u know how this goes also i dont know much about the saline implants but there is an interesting post on our facebook page (pip action group) about silicone v saline and the health implications of both and also a helpful link to breast enhancement awareness from justine allen on the page also if u want to havea look hope ur doing ok and thank you so much for signing our petition if you need anything you can contact us through our website at www.pipactiongroup.com best of luck with everything xxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Belle2012

Hi girls
    Hope everyone is doing well. I got my MRI results and everything is fine thank god :) so happy. I'm going for a consultation with cosmedico tomorrow. Ye all seem happy with them.
    I'm just wondering if anyone else has to take time off work for the operation, and if so do you get sick pay from the dole? I won't get paid from work so this is worrying me.
    Thanks girls x

Belle2012 wrote: »
    Hi girls
    Hope everyone is doing well. I got my MRI results and everything is fine thank god :) so happy. I'm going for a consultation with cosmedico tomorrow. Ye all seem happy with them.
    I'm just wondering if anyone else has to take time off work for the operation, and if so do you get sick pay from the dole? I won't get paid from work so this is worrying me.
    Thanks girls x

Hi Belle Id imagine once you can get your doctor to sign off on this then you would be paid from the social. Hope this helps

Sxx

Thank you ilmm2012

Belle2012 wrote: »
    Hi girls
    Thanks girls x
    Thats great news belle so delighted for u yeah u just get a sick cert from the doctors think u get about €240 for a week u just sent it to social welfare xxx

jeano8 wrote: »
    Thats great news belle so delighted for u yeah u just get a sick cert from the doctors think u get about €240 for a week u just sent it to social welfare xxx
    Thank you jean08 x

• Registered Users Posts: 6 gabby1205

jeano8 wrote: »
    gabby1205 wrote: »
    Hi gabby so glad u have no rupture but completely understand u want them out asap if u have any chance of getting some money together alot of the ladies on here have been saying great things about cosmedico and i think a consultation with them is free so u could cintact them and a few other clinics to see what your options are i know a few clinics are operating ata reduced rate for pip girls also have looked into alot of implants u just have to do your homework i suppose but the nagor and allergan naturelle seem to be the good ones at the mo but like everything im weary of them all im strongly thinking of just explanting and imbtrying to gatjer some info on this at the moand will be speaking witha surgeon at the weekend so il let u know how this goes also i dont know much about the saline implants but there is an interesting post on our facebook page (pip action group) about silicone v saline and the health implications of both and also a helpful link to breast enhancement awareness from justine allen on the page also if u want to havea look hope ur doing ok and thank you so much for signing our petition if you need anything you can contact us through our website at www.pipactiongroup.com best of luck with everything xxx

Thks a mill , yep if u could let me know how your meeting goes with cosmedico it be great. I'll ring them this week and organise a consultation I'll have a list of questions for them ;) I'm going to get the money together some how;) Thks for all your help ill have a look on facebook aswell gotta stay positivex

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sheba12

hi all im new to all this too,and i have pip implants i got them done 6 yrs ago through hmg and like u im so scared im very sore and swollen and in a lot of pain im even nervous walking around in case i bump inte something,im having my scan with euromedics in kilkenny its 195 euro if u have a student card or medical card,,im fuming with the harley medical any time i ring i get england,and clane told me on the phone there was nothing wrong with these implants and they DID NOT have to come out that they just had a higher rupture rate what they forgot to tell us was that they could be filled with any type of **** possible,we have to stick together on this and keep fighting and get these removed and replaced for free cos i certainly aint going down without a fight,they have t reated us like guinea pigs:mad: if france and england can replace them then why not ireland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sheba12

hi all im new to this too i have pip too and ill have them done 6 yrs on the 25/3/2012 so my anniversary is real close as i lve in tipperary i have to go to kilkenny for my scan as im about 140 miles from mullingar. im very sore and all swollen i know something is wrong i can feel it like ye ive been treated like dirt by harley and we have been used as guinea pigs and have to keep fighting to have these things replaced and removed for free its not fair on the girls that are out of work and were expected to pay for this its a disgrace we should get our local tds to hop off the government and get these things out of us :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Pixiejane

http://www.finegael.ie/latest-news/2012/03/06/breast-implant-issue-needs-resolution-%e2%80%93-mitchell-o%e2%80%99connor/

Hi Ladies,

Have a read of this, hope it gives you all a little boost. Mary Mitchell O'Connor met with us last weekend and has promised to help. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭evergreen girl

sheba12 wrote: »
    hi all im new to all this too,and i have pip implants i got them done 6 yrs ago through hmg and like u im so scared im very sore and swollen and in a lot of pain im even nervous walking around in case i bump inte something,im having my scan with euromedics in kilkenny its 195 euro if u have a student card or medical card,,im fuming with the harley medical any time i ring i get england,and clane told me on the phone there was nothing wrong with these implants and they DID NOT have to come out that they just had a higher rupture rate what they forgot to tell us was that they could be filled with any type of **** possible,we have to stick together on this and keep fighting and get these removed and replaced for free cos i certainly aint going down without a fight,they have t reated us like guinea pigs:mad: if france and england can replace them then why not ireland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

Hi Sheba12,
    totally understand your anger and some of the women at the end of the call lines to the UK don't exactly improve your mood!

I'll pm you the direct number for Dublin, if you ring after about 5.30pm you will def get through to someone (think they are open until 8.30pm). But to be honest, you prob won't get much satisfaction from them until you have your scan results......best of luck with it.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement