Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irelands most likely Olympic 2012 Medals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Truman Burbank

Monday, May 21st, 2012 The Athletics Ireland Selection committee has met this morning to consider the nominations for Olympic selection in the marathon and race walking events.
    Following the meeting the athletes nominated for selection are:
    50km Race Walks:
    Rob Heffernan
    Brendan Boyce
    Colin Griffin
    Men’s Marathon
    Mark Kenneally
    Women’s Marathon
    Linda Byrne
    Ava Hutchinson
    Caitriona Jennings
    After the normal right of appeal, as set out in Athletics Ireland nominations policy, nominations will be forwarded to the Olympic Council of Ireland for selection to the 2012 London Olympics Irish Team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dan man

Hard luck on Maria but unfortunately someone had to miss out. I suppose Maria wasn't head and shoulders above either Caitriona or Ava and because she's been at the Olympics before they seem to have opted to give the others a crack at it. Doesn't soften the blow for Maria though.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Truman Burbank

Just wondering why Olive Loughlane, for the Women's 20k walk isn't on this list as she has the A standard? And will Laura Reynolds get to go on the B standard, if it stays that way? Presumably, there's a different cut-off date for this announcement/20ks or have I missed something??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,154 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Just wondering why Olive Loughlane, for the Women's 20k walk isn't on this list as she has the A standard? And will Laura Reynolds get to go on the B standard, if it stays that way? Presumably, there's a different cut-off date for this announcement/20ks or have I missed something??

I think there's a different deadline for 20k walks (as they didn't announce the mens either)

As we have an athlete wiht the A standard, we can't bring one with only a B standard. if Olive is fit, the only way Laura can go is if she gets the A standard herself.

If no athlete has the A standard, a country can noinate one athlete with a B. The OCI have i the past said they won't do so, and then relented. Someone like jeesie Barr at 400m hurdles is a god candidate for this (ie young and developing quickly)

We'll see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Melanie Nocher just set an Irish record of 2:11.68 while qualifying for the 200m Back Stroke final (Eurosport right now!). Hopefully she can dig out an Olympic time in tomorrow's final.

• Advertisement

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Melanie Nocher just set an Irish record of 2:11.68 while qualifying for the 200m Back Stroke final (Eurosport right now!). Hopefully she can dig out an Olympic time in tomorrow's final.

The qualifying time is 2:10.84 so she has to find a second, but thats a great swim.

6th fastest qualifier into a European final. Lets hope she can make it tomorrow

Sycerika McMahon got the 100m breaststroke time in her heat this morning!

Her time was a national record. The actual time? 1:08.37, I think. I was so excited I forgot to take full note! :o

I think this means she can also swim four other events in London: the 2 and 4 Free, and the 2 and 4 medley.

Maybe someone in the know can confirm?

Fiona Doyle also made the 100m BS semis with 1:10.16, but she'll need to find 1.66 secs to qualify for London. Meanwhile, McMahon is 3rd fastest qualifier.

I think this means she can also swim four other events in London: the 2 and 4 Free, and the 2 and 4 medley.

Yep, she has those B times. Grainne Murphy has the B time in those races too and only one will be allowed swim. I'd imagine it will depend on schedule.

great swim

• Advertisement

As both Sycerika and Grainne have only the Olympic Selection Times for those events and not the automatic Olympic Qualification Time, only one will be allowed to compete. I'd imagine swim Ireland will give priority to the faster swimmer in the rankings and if they turn down the opportunity in any of the events, the other swimmer will get the chance to swim that event. She here for the rankings before this meet http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78378833&postcount=572
    Grainne is faster in those events but I doubt she will swim them all, would be good to see Sycericka get to swim a couple of events as she seems to PB every time she's in the water at a big swim meet. The Olympic schedule for those events are as follows:

Day 1:
    400m I.M Heats/ Final
    Day 2:
    400m Free Heats/ Final
    100m Breastroke Heats/ Semis
    Day 3:
    200m Free Heats/Semis
    200m I.M. Heats/Semis
    100m Breastroke Final
    Day 4:
    200m Free Final
    200m I.M. Final
    Day 6:
    800m Free Heats
    Day 7:
    800m Free Final

So it looks as though Grainne may go in the 400m IM on day 1 and the 400m Free in day 2 because Sycerika has the 100m breastroke to aim for on day 2. As for the 200m Free and 200m I.M., each will likely swim one of those events.

Sycericka McMahon is Ireland's 51st qualifier for the London Games and also the youngest member on the team.

Here's the remanining swimmers for Ireland in these games

Melanie Nochar (needs less than second in 2 back events)
    100m Backstroke - needs 1:00.82
    200m Backstroke - needs 2:10.84 (in final)
    200m Free - needs 1:58.33

Sycerika McMahon (Qualified in 100m Breast)
    100m Breast - in semi with QT
    400m Free - needs 4:09.35
    200m IM - needs 2:13.36

Bethany Carson
    100m Fly - needs 58.70

Shani Stallard
    200m breast - needs 2:26.89

Fiona Doyle
    100m Breast - needs 1:10.89 (in semi)
    200m breast - needs 2:26.89

Nuala Murphy
    400m Free - needs 4:09.35

Karl Burdis
    200m back - needs 1:58.48

The women's team are also entered in the 4x100 medlay and 4x200 free relays

In rowing Sanita Puspure was 3rd in the semi final and through to the A final. She was 6th fastest in the semis and needs to finish in top 4 to qualify

The Lightweight double sculls finished 5th in their semi and miss out

Conflicting reports now on the rowing. it appears she has to finish in the top 3 to ensure she qualifies. Final is tomorrow morning

In this evening's swmming session both Irish swimmers are in the 2nd semi final in the 100m breast stroke. McMahon is in lane 5, Fiona Doyle is in lane 8. They're scheduled for 4.33pm

Nocher is in lane 7 in the 200m backstroke final which is scheduled for 4.58pm

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FitzjamesHorse

I think Sycerica McMahon (sp) just made the Olympic Qualifying standard in reaching final of 100m Breastsroke.
    I think QT is 1.08.49 and she was under that.

Fiona Doyle nearly qualified too!

She lowered her PB to 1:09.xx and gets the B standard. She finished 12th overall

Sycerika finished 2nd in heat and goes into final as 5th fastest.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭james1992

Well done sycerika McMahon ... great stuff

I think Sycerica McMahon (sp) just made the Olympic Qualifying standard in reaching final of 100m Breastsroke.
    I think QT is 1.08.49 and she was under that.

She had got the A standard in tthis morning's heats

james1992 wrote: »
    Well done sycerika McMahon ... great stuff

She doens't I looked at wrong Qualifying time. Quickly changed...

She was a second off

• Advertisement

Come on Mel Nocher, the time to go under is 2:10.84mins. Fingers crossed.

Yesss, she done it, OQT. Well done Melanie Nocher, Ireland's 52nd Olympic qualifier. She knocked a whopping amount of time of her NR.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭james1992

where she finish ??

What was her time ?

james1992 wrote: »
    where she finish ??

She was fifth. Great swim by her. Time was 2:10.75mins. Sorry, I got sidetracked with all the excitement!

What a brilliant swim.

Mel came in with an Irish Record of 2:11.75. Comfortably qualified from heats. Lowered that again in the semi final, then achived the A standard in the final. Thats the definition of championship swimming

5th in Europe and 0.09 inside the Olympic standard.

This means that Melanie can now also swim the 100m Backstroke in London. She also has the Selection time for the 200m freestyle as do Sycerika and Grainne but as we discussed earlier, only one of those girls can swim in that event as they don't have the OQT for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Joe Ward will know his fate on or before 3rd June, when the Tripartite Commission are due to meet to announce invitation places, though the date could be brought forward.
    On the same date they will nominate the four wildcards in Katie Taylor's division, one each from Africa, Asia, America and Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Chris Bryan attempts qualification in 10k Open Water Swimming in Portugal on 9th-10th June. Over the weekend I believe he finished third in the European Cup < same event > in Israel in 1 hr 4 minutes 14 secs., just eleven seconds behind the winner and World bronze medallist Sergey Bolshakov of Russia. Am I right in thinking that a repeat in Portugal should ensure his qualification?

Our equestrian hopefuls on the reserve list will also know their fates soon as the FEI will announce which places will be reallocated and to whom.
    In dressage, Anna Merveldt is 2nd on the reserve list and it looks promising that she could make the Olympic team. New Zealand qualified a team of 3 riders for dressage but as there are certain requirements that each rider needs to meet to take part in the Olympic dressage, New Zealand is likely to send only one rider.
    Also in the eventing competition, some of those countries that qualified a team for the Olympics will likely not have 5 riders of a good enough standard in order to take up their place in the Olympic competition. This will benefit up to 2 Irish riders who lie in high positions in the reserve list.
    June 17th is the day when this should be sorted out and we will know by then the actual size of our equestrian team. So far we have 5 riders across all disciplines. In a best case scenario this can increase to 8 riders for Olympic team. We should get 7 but still a good chance for the 8 also.

• Advertisement

feargale wrote: »
    Chris Bryan attempts qualification in 10k Open Water Swimming in Portugal on 9th-10th June. Over the weekend I believe he finished third in the European Cup < same event > in Israel in 1 hr 4 minutes 14 secs., just eleven seconds behind the winner and World bronze medallist Sergey Bolshakov of Russia. Am I right in thinking that a repeat in Portugal should ensure his qualification?

He needs to finish in the top 9 to be absolutely sure of qualification but if a British swimmer finishes inside the top 9 then the top 10 finishers will qualify as the automatic host nation slot for that event will be re-distributed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement