Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

I am having trouble downloading the garmin training centre.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3741

This is the link i used,i tick the disclaimer box and then it asks to put in my ant stick and wait to get a message saying that devices are installed...it does not happen

Help !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

Does anyone know if the garmin 405 takes elevation into account when calculating calories burned?

Assuming you burn more calories running uphill then on a flat track does the garmin factor this in?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Kissy Lips wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the garmin 405 takes elevation into account when calculating calories burned?

Assuming you burn more calories running uphill then on a flat track does the garmin factor this in?
    No it doesn't. In fact, it doesn't even take heart rate into account (if you're using a HR monitor). The 405cx is supposed to use a more comprehensive solution for calculating calories, but I don't know anything about it.

To be honest, I find the calorie count info to be more of an interesting add-on, rather than anything useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Yeah, you could do it by creating an advanced workout on your computer using Garmin Training Centre and then upload it to the watch. Alternatively you could create an interval session on the watch, and use the following settings:
    Type=time
    Duration=00:01:00
    Rest Type=time
    Duration=00:01:30
    and just set the repetitions to match the amount of time you want to cover (8 repetitions for 20 minutes). The watch will give you a series of beeps as you go from one activity to the next.

Excellent ta, prob time uo upgrade the training centre software, thanks again

Sosa wrote: »
    I am having trouble downloading the garmin training centre.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3741

This is the link i used,i tick the disclaimer box and then it asks to put in my ant stick and wait to get a message saying that devices are installed...it does not happen

Help !
    That's cos it's not the link to GTC! This is.

• Advertisement

thnks Krusty,i have that installed but cannot make sense out of it.
    I tried to create a workout that was 2:00 min intervals with 90s rec * 10 reps...could not manage it...is there a manual or something ?

Did you set it up like this?:

GTCReps.jpg

Thanks KC...i got that sorted....will i be able to see what pace i am doing them in ?

Thanks KC...i got that sorted....will i be able to see what pace i am doing them in ?
    Yep, it'll give you average pace (hopefully). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭dare2be

Just a quick one on intervals on a Forerunner 310xt

I have set up an interval session of 5x1km with 30secs rest and have ticked for a warm up and cool down session. When i start the warm up lap i am asked to hit the lap button but then a message comes up saying that i haven't input a distance.

Anyone know how to set up warm up and cool down session properly?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭HuntingDrog

That's nuts. It's still showing your pace, so GPS is definitely working. Similar to Shels problem, I reckon your watch memory is full, so you may need to clear it out. I usually have mine set up to remove the activity from the watch once it has uploaded to the computer. Right click Garmin Ant Agent, Device Settings, Automatically erase data from my device after transfer.

To clear yours, go to [History] [Delete] [All activities] or [old activities].
    That's my best guess!

Hi KC, I've a 305. Is there anyway to automatically erase the activity from the 305 once uploaded to the PC? tks

BTW-this thread is great!

dare2be wrote: »
    Just a quick one on intervals on a Forerunner 310xt

I have set up an interval session of 5x1km with 30secs rest and have ticked for a warm up and cool down session. When i start the warm up lap i am asked to hit the lap button but then a message comes up saying that i haven't input a distance.

Anyone know how to set up warm up and cool down session properly?

Thanks
    Are you pressing [Start] and then pressing [Lap] when you are actually finished your warm-up or cool-down session (at which point it should automatically transition to the intervals. Have you entered a distance for your intervals? If it's not working, go back to first principles, and see if you can get an interval session working without warm-up and cool-down.

You could alternatively try and set up a custom workout (310xt only).

Hi KC, I've a 305. Is there anyway to automatically erase the activity from the 305 once uploaded to the PC? tks
    BTW-this thread is great!
    It doesn't appear so, but I don't have a 305 so I couldn't be certain. Maybe someone else might know?

Best option seems to be (on the watch):
    [History][Sport][Delete] then choose:
    Keep 1 Month / Keep 3 Months / Delete All.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭HuntingDrog

tks Krusty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Hi guys! I’m sure one of you can help me here. A friend of mine has to buy a birthday present for her boyfriend. He’s a typical man and buys whatever he wants or needs whenever he wants or needs it (unlike women who want things and leave about a million hints for someone else to buy it for them...haha). Anyway he’s a triathlete and starting to get into the longer distance running so I suggested a Garmin and she’s going to go with that. Neither of us however have a clue what to get or where to get it from. She’s looking at a 405 or 405CX on amazon at the minute. Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks in advance!

C

Well, the 405/405cx are practically the same watch. The cx comes with an additional wrist strap (soft/flexible), a different way of calculating calories and a more expensive price tag.

The 405/cx is a decent watch, but isn't very useful for triathlons. It's fine on the bike and the run, but is only rated IPX7 (1 meter of water for 15 minutes) so isn't suitable for the swim portion of a triathlon.

310xt is waterproof, and is more suitable for multi-eventing, though I understand that most people still wouldn't wear in on their wrist for a triathlon, due to drag, and poor accuracy (though some do keep it in their swim hat). It also carries a more expensive price tag, but a significantly longer battery life too.

If money's not really important, I'd go with the 310xt. If money's tight, i'd go with the 405 or the 305 (older, cheaper, much bigger!), but on the understanding that it can't really be used in a useful manner in the swim portion of a triathlon.

I'd also check out prices on ebay.com, which are substantially cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Thanks a million, she's referred to you as a legend and a fountain of knowledge!! I think she's going to go with the 405/cx. We decided the clock on the wall in the pool is good enough for him and if he's going open water he can learn to read the sun! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Spotted some strangeness in Garmin Connect, this evening I did a 3x2mile tempo run which was brisk (for me :o) so had my heart rate high enough. When I uploaded it to Garmin Connect, the summary says my average HR was 155 while the max was 188 but when I look at the HR graph the max I can see is 181 so where does the 188 come from I wonder :confused: Not that it matters that much I guess but was just wondering.

Btw there are some very handy 16 week marathon training plans available at Runner's World which I've found very useful as the watch takes care of telling you what you should be doing pretty much every day, as well I've learnt to obey it now so running at the planned pace around Berlin should be no problem :)

Opus, it's probably because you can't zoom in on the graph enough to see it. This is when the dirty deed happened:
    <Trackpoint>
                <Time>2010-08-10T17:37:34.000Z</Time>
                <DistanceMeters>6183.85009765625</DistanceMeters>
                <HeartRateBpm>
                  <Value>188</Value>
                </HeartRateBpm>
                <Extensions>
                  <ns3:TPX>
                    <ns3:Speed>4.150000095367432</ns3:Speed>
                  </ns3:TPX>
                </Extensions>
              </Trackpoint>

Hey Krusty,
    I ran my advanced interval workout this evening,worked a treat.
    It had the ave pace on view aswell...ideal...thanks.

• Advertisement

Hey Krusty,
    I ran my advanced interval workout this evening,worked a treat.
    It had the ave pace on view aswell...ideal...thanks.
    No worries. That's why Garmin pays me all this money. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Opus, it's probably because you can't zoom in on the graph enough to see it. This is when the dirty deed happened:
    <Trackpoint>
                <Time>2010-08-10T17:37:34.000Z</Time>
                <DistanceMeters>6183.85009765625</DistanceMeters>
                <HeartRateBpm>
                  <Value>188</Value>
                </HeartRateBpm>
                <Extensions>
                  <ns3:TPX>
                    <ns3:Speed>4.150000095367432</ns3:Speed>
                  </ns3:TPX>
                </Extensions>
              </Trackpoint>

Wow, interesting to see the XML there... Wouldn't have expected them to record Zulu time, but makes sense I guess... And that's a lot of decimal points recorded on the Distance and Speed tags. Opus, do you have your watch tracking in KM or miles?

Thanks Krusty, didn't think of delving into the datafile itself, mind you probably won't either in the future :)
    xebec wrote: »
    Wow, interesting to see the XML there... Wouldn't have expected them to record Zulu time, but makes sense I guess... And that's a lot of decimal points recorded on the Distance and Speed tags. Opus, do you have your watch tracking in KM or miles?

KM for me cause I started running on a gym threadmill so don't have a good mental image of times/distances expressed in miles.

opus wrote: »
    Thanks Krusty, didn't think of delving into the datafile itself, mind you probably won't either in the future :)
    That's reserved for a particular type of nerd. The uber-nerd. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 48 spanx

Hi.
    My 405 was delivered today but I bought it without HRM by mistake (stupid unclear pixmania website).

I could go through the hassle of returning it but as I'd be hit for shipping I might just accept my losses and buy the HRM separately.

Can I just ask is it definitely possible to pair a HRM to a 405 that was bought without one? And is this the one I should go for?

Cheers

Yes, you can pair a HRM, and yes that one will work fine (it's the same one I use with my 405). I wouldn't however recommend it. I find it really dodgy. This one is cheaper and seems to give much more accurate readings.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 spanx

Cool, thanks for that Krusty_Clown

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

GPS related question Krusty :
    Have 405 works well enough , downloaded sportstracker to my phone -and there is a difference in GPS distance
    tonight I did 15k on the Garmin but the GPS on the phone was 15.4k not a lot of difference but is there a logical reason . -if you go into XML type answers I tend to glaze over:) a guess would be that the tolerance +/- on each would mean if you have one at the high end and one at the low end you could get greater differences.

I can only hazard a guess, but I would say it's probably down to the way your phone calculates trackpoints/distance covered. It's not purpose built for this kind of thing, so some level of error is to be expected. Best thing to do is take them both over a known distance (preferably straight line) and see how they fare. I would say the Garmin is more accurate as long as you used it properly (i.e. waited for a decent satellite connection before starting your workout).

• Advertisement

That's reserved for a particular type of nerd. The uber-nerd. :o

Part of my working life (many years ago) involved decoding billing records from a telephone exchange for mobiles by hand so I've a bit of an aversion to raw data files ever since! Mind you the XML format is a bit easier to deal with compared to hexadecimal numbers but even so I'll still avoid it.

Advertisement