Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wildlife in Ireland

Options
  • 27-01-2010 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Are Irish people interested in wildlife? Often seems to me that there is very little interest here. Wild things often seem to be referred to a vermin. I have set up three websites over the last few years in an effort to get people interested in wildlife. For biodiversity stuff see www.biology.ie for lichens see www.lichens.ie and for phenology see www.naturescalendarireland.com
    I'd be interested to hear people's views on this.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭John mac

whenever i see something out of the ordinary i post on biology.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 freeatlast

Hi,

I work in Eastpoint and my desk looks out onto the bay and in the past 5 or 6 days a HUGE amount of birds, mainly ducks I think but also others, have descended on the bay and are making a big racket. It's quite nice really and a great distraction but its so unusual I'm wondering what it's all about. The spend most of their time wading in low tide and everysoften take flight in huge flocks but land again shortly after. They are acting so odd that people are stopping to stare at them.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 greenasil

I am new to Ireland, and have also noticed there are many people who seem uninformed and uninterested in wildlife and the outdoors in general. However, I've also noticed there are people who do take an interest. Seems to me that it's pretty normal for people in large cities to not know much about wildlife. (I'm in Dublin now, and have lived in several large cities in the US) When I've been outside Dublin to other parts of Ireland I've noticed a marked difference in people's awareness of wildlife and the natural world in general.

@Freeatlast - I'm no expert, but it is getting to be springtime. The birds maybe gathering for breeding time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

freeatlast wrote: »
    Hi,

I work in Eastpoint and my desk looks out onto the bay and in the past 5 or 6 days a HUGE amount of birds, mainly ducks I think but also others, have descended on the bay and are making a big racket. It's quite nice really and a great distraction but its so unusual I'm wondering what it's all about. The spend most of their time wading in low tide and everysoften take flight in huge flocks but land again shortly after. They are acting so odd that people are stopping to stare at them.

Any ideas?
    There's a Nature & Birdwatching forum here.

The Dublin Bay area is a magnet for all kinds of migratory birds including many varieties of geese, so it's not that uncommon an occurrence to see large flocks descending on the bay to feed. Often they'll overnight in fields nearby and just feed in the bay during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

Are Irish people interested in wildlife? Often seems to me that there is very little interest here. Wild things often seem to be referred to a vermin. I have set up three websites over the last few years in an effort to get people interested in wildlife. For biodiversity stuff see www.biology.ie for lichens see www.lichens.ie and for phenology see www.naturescalendarireland.com
    Cheers.

The websites are good - they'd be great if they were in Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Cheers.
    great websites im gonna stick them. many thanks!!!

Advertisement