Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Good Hrm watch without gps?

• 31-07-2014 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with the below.

I've now taken up running and I need a new sports watch. I had a standard watch that broke recently, so I thought I would kill two birds with one stone by getting a watch for running and everyday wear.

Since I'm no running expert, I don't need something too complex.
    I'm not really sold on a GPS watch as I feel I don't have a need for one yet.

My main focus is to lose a bit of wait and get fit, so I would require a watch with a HRM. I'm using myfitnesspal to help keep a diary, and it's working really well.

Am I silly to not have a need for a GPS watch, and just one with a HRM?

My budget is around 100-150, but will stretch if needs be. Hoping to get one on the cheaper end so I can spend the rest towards a decent pair of runners.

Do any of you helpful folks have any recommendations for me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Polar RCX3 or FT80 are both decent training watches with the option of upgrading to include a GPS pod at a later stage if you wanted. Definitely upper end of the budget, but you will grow into the features.

You could also just o with a basic Polar FT1 for around €50 to simply monitor HR whilst training no option for GPS though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

I might check out the FT1, but I don't really like the look of it.

TThe other two are quite pricey but look great. I don't have GPS on my mind at the moment and don't know when I will need it.

The FT1 comes with the HRM as a chest strap?

Great reply, thanks.

Edit: Just saw the FT7 and it looks nice. How does it compare to the FT1?.. For an extra 50 euro?

Edit 2: Bought the FT7 for 79 euro with free delivery. Sorted!

Thanks.

Advertisement