Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Nice, how much ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

PaulieC wrote: »
    Nice, how much ?

€40 in Lifestyle Carrickmines, prior to that I nearly bought a pair in TK MAxx for €46, it was a sign when I seen them across the road cheaper :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Are they Puma Faas 100 R - like in this review:
    http://runblogger.com/2013/06/puma-faas-100-r-zero-drop-running-shoe.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    €40 in Lifestyle Carrickmines, prior to that I nearly bought a pair in TK MAxx for €46, it was a sign when I seen them across the road cheaper :pac:

Was very tempted to buy them in the same TKMaxx today ( iwasn't even supposed to be shoe shopping) glad I didn't now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭PaulieC

menoscemo wrote: »
    Was very tempted to buy them in the same TKMaxx today ( iwasn't even supposed to be shoe shopping) glad I didn't now!!

Thought you were on holidays

• Advertisement

dna_leri wrote: »

They are 100 R, but probably last season, not sure what the changes might be, haven't worn Puma since I had a pair of leather XC spikes about 33 years ago!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

They are 100 R, but probably last season, not sure what the changes might be, haven't worn Puma since I had a pair of leather XC spikes about 33 years ago!!

I use Puma Faas 300s as track flats, might look at these as replacements. Think I had an old pair of Puma spikes years ago too, something like these:

7894496120_1d16bb7bca_m.jpg

dna_leri wrote: »
    I use Puma Faas 300s as track flats, might look at these as replacements. Think I had an old pair of Puma spikes years ago too, something like these:

7894496120_1d16bb7bca_m.jpg

Change that stripe to red and I'm back there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

I finally bought my first 'proper' running shoes a couple of months ago. I got a pair of Asics GT-2000 and a pair of Nike Free 5.0.

They are both comfortable and honestly I think I run faster in the Nike's, they are so light and flexible! I got a PB first time I wore them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

menoscemo wrote: »

HA! Just saw them yesterday for 46 euro in Stephen's Green. Absolutely love the 300s and 550s. The 100s are extremely Light. I find Puma to be incredibly durable though.

• Advertisement

How do you find them? Very tempted to buy them online for 100e. Big fan of Puma, think they are very underestimated in this country.

How do you find them? Very tempted to buy them online for 100e. Big fan of Puma, think they are very underestimated in this country.

Currently sitting in 'to wear' box :D - will take them out for a spin early next week.

glasso wrote: »
    Adidas Adizero Primeknit - Adidas's woven shoe - has similarities to the Nike Flyknit but apparently quite different - anybody here given them a go?
    Needed a new pair of runners and saw them at a reasonable price on the adidas site and took the plunge - awaiting delivery....

did a couple of runs in these and they're very decent - fairly light and responsive and the knit upper gives a great feeling of fit due it being made of one piece- will use them for longer runs on tarmac where a bit of protection is needed. I'm pretty sure that it's the adizero adios 2 (except for the bit of continental rubber) with the knit upper. they do look pretty cool imo.

EDIT - it's definitely the Adios 2 base - found it on web. http://hypebeast.com/index.php/2014/2/adidas-2014-adizero-primeknit-2-0-preview

Was going to get a pair of Adios 2 before in the adidas sale but the size was too small. went 1/2 size up this time and fits perfectly.

digi1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Might be the wrong place for this question. Is there a general rule of thumb about the optimum mileage to have in a pair of shoes before using them in a marathon?

JohnDozer wrote: »
    Might be the wrong place for this question. Is there a general rule of thumb about the optimum mileage to have in a pair of shoes before using them in a marathon?

There is no hard and fast rule but I would say 50 miles, with most importantly one run of 15 miles or so. By then you'd know if the shoe is going to cause you problems over longer distances, which would be the main concern.

JohnDozer wrote: »

It depends. I went for a long run today with a new pair straight from the box. I knew the runners would cause no problems though as I know the make and style. For a marathon I would do at least one or two long runs, some runners need a small bit of loosening up. I like to use my marathon runners in the last half marathon before the marathon. In reality, I think it's a psychological thing. It's reassuring to know that the runners you are using for marathon have been tested and will give you no issues. I would apply this to everything you wear for the marathon (shorts, t-shirt etc). 40-50 miles with one or two long runs.

So 1st the Faas 100, took them on a steady 10k this afternoon.
    Pros
    - Light and feel light on
    - Although the sole is zero drop and minimalist, it offers surprising comfort and protection.
    - Very responsive and springy
    - Nice breathable uppers
    Cons
    - Watch the sizing, I got a UK9, I'm a 10 in Brooks
    - Will take a little breaking in, especially the material around the ankle which is a bit rigid.
    - Don't like the tongue, nothing to it, could do with the slit to catch the laces and be a bit longer, I'm nearly afraid to pull it.

Nice shoe, up to 10k and for track work I would expect once it beds in.

BTW - also picked up a pair of Faas 350's in TKMaxx, this one really surprised, very Kinvara like and well put together, will report back after a few spins.

So 1st the Faas 100, took them on a steady 10k this afternoon.
    Pros
    - Light and feel light on
    - Although the sole is zero drop and minimalist, it offers surprising comfort and protection.
    - Very responsive and springy
    - Nice breathable uppers
    Cons
    - Watch the sizing, I got a UK9, I'm a 10 in Brooks
    - Will take a little breaking in, especially the material around the ankle which is a bit rigid.
    - Don't like the tongue, nothing to it, could do with the slit to catch the laces and be a bit longer, I'm nearly afraid to pull it.

Nice shoe, up to 10k and for track work I would expect once it beds in.

BTW - also picked up a pair of Faas 350's in TKMaxx, this one really surprised, very Kinvara like and well put together, will report back after a few spins.

Excellent, I will try them on during the week. Looking forward to seeing what you think of the 350s. Love the 300/500s. although I am wearing the outside of the right shoe like no ones business. I do tend to wear this area (previously Nikes/Cloudracers etc.) but the wear is greater on the Pumas for some reason. They are the first shoes I have been able to leave them laced up and use them as slippers. So handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Just finished up with:
    • Mizuno Hitogami - I was a big fan of the Mushas (wore nothing but Mushas until the discontinued them this year), and this is the successor apparently. It's a nice shoe, but a little squishy in the sole for me.
    • On Cloud Racer - Bought on a whim with a voucher from a US store, otherwise I wouldn't have shelled out the money for them (€125+). They're very shiny, but feel a little over engineered for me. The rubber do-dads on the sole don't do much if you mid/forefoot strike like me, and add weight.

Currently at about 250 miles in a pair of Skecher GoRun2's that I picked up for €45. Lovely shoe for the price, very comfy, very flexible, very light. Only complaint I had at the start was the heel fit felt a bit sloppy, but I have narrow heels, and I don't even notice anymore.
    I'll probably head to AK in the next week or two looking for another minimal shoe recommendation, but it's going to be hard to beat the Skechers.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

cianc wrote: »
    Just finished up with:
    • Mizuno Hitogami - I was a big fan of the Mushas (wore nothing but Mushas until the discontinued them this year), and this is the successor apparently. It's a nice shoe, but a little squishy in the sole for me.
    • On Cloud Racer - Bought on a whim with a voucher from a US store, otherwise I wouldn't have shelled out the money for them (€125+). They're very shiny, but feel a little over engineered for me. The rubber do-dads on the sole don't do much if you mid/forefoot strike like me, and add weight.

Currently at about 250 miles in a pair of Skecher GoRun2's that I picked up for €45. Lovely shoe for the price, very comfy, very flexible, very light. Only complaint I had at the start was the heel fit felt a bit sloppy, but I have narrow heels, and I don't even notice anymore.
    I'll probably head to AK in the next week or two looking for another minimal shoe recommendation, but it's going to be hard to beat the Skechers.
    after switching to the go run rides 3 myself and am finding them great for easy runs , long runs and tempos. Find them a bit strange when doing intervals for some reason I cant put my finger on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

conavitzky wrote: »
    after switching to the go run rides 3 myself and am finding them great for easy runs , long runs and tempos. Find them a bit strange when doing intervals for some reason I cant put my finger on.

Might be the sole is a bit soft? I'd forgotten I noticed that at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

That could be it.

yes I have the go run 2 and really like them but for speed / racing a certain level of rigidity in the sole is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

I'm having trouble finding a pair of shoes that suit me. Started off last year with a pair of Asics GT-2000. I wasn't doing very much running (maybe 10 miles a week max), but wore them to the gym a lot. They were ok, but I earlier this year I started taking running more seriously and decided it was time to try something new. Went to a running shop and got fitted, turns out I my shoes were a size too small. Ended up walking out with a pair of Brooks Adrenaline. They felt good in the shop. I've tried several times to run in them and have never really taken to them. It feels like I'm running in high heels, and my legs just feel really tired after wearing them. I've gone over on my ankle one or twice in them. I've tried wearing them in but still no better.
    Then I bought a pair of these: http://www.asics.ie/running/products/gel-super-j33-men/ and I love them but as my runs started getting longer (10 miles +) I felt I needed something with a bit more in the heel (possibly just because I'm heel striking more as my legs get tired towards the end of my longer runs). They are also starting to fall apart a bit after about 230 km (rubber on the heel of one shoe is starting to come off and the upper is starting to rip around the toe box, just below the laces on the other). All that being said I still love to run in them.
    I found it hard to find a pair of my original GT-2000s (I didn't like the V2) so I found a pair of GT-1000s which also felt great in the shop. Have been trying to break them in, but I got blisters on my first run in them. I tried wearing them walking around a bit more but now, whether walking or running I get a pain in the arch of my left foot, like something hard is pressing in to it.
    I've been up on a treadmill and was told I only overpronate very slightly, but because my arches tend to flatten when standing, I have been recommended to wear stability/motion control shoes - but I don't really like them.
    I currently also have issues with sore hip flexors/IT band/knee on the right leg which I'm working through (very slowly). I'll probably stop running for a bit, because its just to sore at the moment. These issues started after a particularly hilly 10 miler which I wasn't ready for at the time, and have been exacerbated by me being to stubborn/stupid to stop running.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have no idea what I'm doing shoe wise. I was hoping someone might read this and be able to give some advice. Sorry if I've posted in the wrong thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

It sounds like your getting conflicting advice.

Your arch should flatten under load, it acts like a spring. If properly functioning and you are overpronating slightly then either a stiff neutral shoe or a suitable mild guidance shoe is what you need.

Figuring off the Super J33 something like the Mizuno Inspire should work nicely for you. Mild support, nice and flat internally allowing your arch to work, yet rigid enough in the heel to support the Achilles area too.

Faas 200r's added to the collection was a toss up between them and Piranha SP4's, both at sub 50 yoyos in an outlet over here.
    Took them on a hot and humid 7.5 miles straight out of the box, beautiful, think I'm going to enjoy these.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Faas 200r's added to the collection was a toss up between them and Piranha SP4's, both at sub 50 yoyos in an outlet over here.
    Took them on a hot and humid 7.5 miles straight out of the box, beautiful, think I'm going to enjoy these.

Starting to think this is less of an addiction and more of an affliction ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

Cheap pair of Avia runners, were 66 euro, down to 16 euro on Sports direct.

very comfy shoe!

AKW wrote: »
    Starting to think this is less of an addiction and more of an affliction ;)

Affection is the word you were looking for ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭cullenswood

truedoom wrote: »
    Cheap pair of Avia runners, were 66 euro, down to 16 euro on Sports direct.

very comfy shoe!

Are Avia decent. The Mrs is in the market for a starter pair. Anyone know how they fit size wise (ie get half a size too big etc?)

Advertisement