Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PSVita megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

ondafly wrote: »
    picked one up also - good deal. Yet again though, disappointed with Netflix support in Europe, so both the Vita and 3DS don't support Netflix in Europe, whereas the USA works fine.

You can get Netflix on your Vita. Just google it to find out how. More complicated than it needs to be but once you have it, it works well.
    I see remote play is supported for God of War Collection and SOTC/ICO on the Vita , which is nice.

...and all PS4 games (that don't use the camera) will also be supported.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

picked one up also - good deal. Yet again though, disappointed with Netflix support in Europe, so both the Vita and 3DS don't support Netflix in Europe, whereas the USA works fine.

Oh man, I can only imagine how hideous Netflix would look on the 3DS screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Oh man, I can only imagine how hideous Netflix would look on the 3DS screen.

Not going to be as nice as the Vita obviously but looks decent enough Standard Definition to me on any videos I've seen of it, and reviews I've read. Think hideous is probably harsh. Would be a handy additional way to watch on the go anyway and a shame its not in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Damn that argos offer is tempting, I was leaning towards a 3DS but they're not region free and I'll be going abroad early next year,least with the Vita I can play games from the States. I was never really interested in one until now due to lack of games but there's some decent looking titles on it these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭megaten

Not going to be as nice as the Vita obviously but looks decent enough Standard Definition to me on any videos I've seen of it, and reviews I've read. Think hideous is probably harsh. Would be a handy additional way to watch on the go anyway and a shame its not in Europe.

The 3ds isn't even standard definition. It about half the vertical resolution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭ondafly

Otacon wrote: »
    You can get Netflix on your Vita. Just google it to find out how. More complicated than it needs to be but once you have it, it works well.

...and all PS4 games (that don't use the camera) will also be supported.

yup had it working under another profile (not sure how specific we can be here :pac:) but then having to format the card and go back to my main PSN profile every time is a disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Has there been any word on sales since the price drop?

I assume it's doing a bit better now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

tok9 wrote: »

You cannot go wrong with this deal, 169 euro for WiFi/3G + Killzone Mercenary + 8GB here http://www.amazon.de/Sony-PlayStation-Killzone-Mercenary-Memory/dp/B00EXSJLG4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1382353046&sr=8-3&keywords=ps+vita

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

I hope so, Vita is the best handheld I ever owned. I am hoping that SONY will continue to push the vita until at least new PS4 owners begin to see the potential of Remote Play and Cross Play.

If it goes to the wall then it will be such a shame but then again the competition from mobile gaming is so fierce!

Xenji wrote: »

Sorry, I meant actually units sold. I already own a vita.. with Killzone too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Sorry, I meant actually units sold. I already own a vita.. with Killzone too :D

Few months old, but they are said to be skyrocketing http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2013/03/06/playstation-vita-sales-skyrocketing-after-price-cut/

That was regarding the Japan price drop earlier in the year and I remember there being a decent bit of news about how it was finally doing well.

But I haven't seen any news since the EU and US price drop making me think the sales haven't been as significant or even close to as good as they were in Japan.

Hope I'm wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Picked up the Argos offer(€179.99) on Friday after reading about it here, and have to say I'm delighted with it over the weekend. Vita has always peaked my interest after reading the Eurogamer review of it. Impressive piece of kit and is jammed with features. Decided to sub PS+ for a year(€49.99) as I also have a PS3 so getting serious value for money there. Being playing mostly Uncharted, but have played a small bit of Killzone and Gravity Rush too.

Since I subbed for PS+ I have decided to get the 32GB card off Amazon. Threw in a 500GB HDD for the PS3 too as that is full(80GB Model) all for £80(€95). No delivery date yet for the 32GB memory card but they will hopefully get some in soon.

So a fair bit of impulse spending done there thanks to Boards and the PS forum :D

*Edit Will more than likely pick up Little Big planet from Argos for a tenner(They have it half price) with the Argos voucher I got when buying the Vita!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Picked up the Argos offer(€179.99) on Friday after reading about it here, and have to say I'm delighted with it over the weekend. Vita has always peaked my interest after reading the Eurogamer review of it. Impressive piece of kit and is jammed with features. Decided to sub PS+ for a year(€49.99) as I also have a PS3 so getting serious value for money there. Being playing mostly Uncharted, but have played a small bit of Killzone and Gravity Rush too.

Since I subbed for PS+ I have decided to get the 32GB card off Amazon. Threw in a 500GB HDD for the PS3 too as that is full(80GB Model) all for £80(€95). No delivery date yet for the 32GB memory card but they will hopefully get some in soon.

So a fair bit of impulse spending done there thanks to Boards and the PS forum :D

*Edit Will more than likely pick up Little Big planet from Argos for a tenner(They have it half price) with the Argos voucher I got when buying the Vita!

Hold off on that LBP just for a few weeks! PSVita PS+ yearly games are due to change in November and LBP might very well be one of the new ones in there!

Do you have to order it on the argos website to get the voucher or do they just give it to you instore?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

jaffusmax wrote: »
    I hope so, Vita is the best handheld I ever owned. I am hoping that SONY will continue to push the vita until at least new PS4 owners begin to see the potential of Remote Play and Cross Play.

If it goes to the wall then it will be such a shame but then again the competition from mobile gaming is so fierce!

I'm so torn on what you said there in so far as I to love my vita. Seriously I'm playing it every single day without fail even if its for 5 mins. Love the feature that you dont have to turn it off and you can just pick it up and start playing the game were you left off. So simple but so handy.

Anyway back to my point. Is it really the best you ever owned. In fairness to you maybe it was just a throwaway remark but it got me thinking.

I've owned copius amounts of different handhelds and consoles over the years.

For me the N64 when it comes to consoles definately holds the dearest memories.
    As for handhelds the gamegear was played serious amounts back in the day.

So my point is and I know it took me long enough... is the Vita the best handheld you've ever owned or is it the one you play most of all now due to it being the most up to date etc..

Just wondering. Feeling pedantic today. :D

ps... I'm 100% with you on your other two points. I'll be buying a ps4 over the xbox one (currently a 360 owner) purely on the PS Vita remote play so they're gaining me as a customer due to the vita.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

€179! My local CEX is selling a used one for €175. Chancers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

...... Decided to sub PS+ for a year(€49.99) as I also have a PS3 so getting serious value for money there. Being playing mostly Uncharted, but have played a small bit of Killzone and Gravity Rush too......

I'm not a Sony fanboy: I do have the Vita and the PS3 and preordered the PS4 but I also have (And love) the 360 (And also had the wii for a while). But the PS+ is great value if you have the Vita and PS. I got assassin's creed 3 (Cool but not a massive AC fan), Uncharted 3 (Great but preferred the 2nd), Uncharted for Vita (great), gravity Rush, SF X Tekken and a bust more and I only signed up for PS+ six months ago

Maybe it is the recency effect speaking but I really do think in my opinion it is the best handlheld gaming device I have owned. I love indie games although I not fond of playing them on a 32 inch screen yet on my vita they just come into their own.

Basically for me it is an Indie Gaming platform and Remote Playing Device. And that suits my needs perfectly along with its prefect screen size and controls.

how do ps1 games look on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

krudler wrote: »
    how do ps1 games look on it?

Besides the annoying borders on the PAL versions, they look really good IMO.

Maybe it is the recency effect speaking but I really do think in my opinion it is the best handlheld gaming device I have owned. I love indie games although I not fond of playing them on a 32 inch screen yet on my vita they just come into their own.

Basically for me it is an Indie Gaming platform and Remote Playing Device. And that suits my needs perfectly along with its prefect screen size and controls.

yeah I have that recent effect as well as I say cant put it down at the moment. I'm playing gravity rush at the moment, about half way through and loving it. End up roaming aimlessly a lot of time but its half the fun, floating about the place.

I havent got into the indie games yet but I think I'll purchase a few this weekend like hotline miami which was just reduced for PS plus members I hear. Any good indie platformers??

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Klair88 wrote: »
    Hold off on that LBP just for a few weeks! PSVita PS+ yearly games are due to change in November and LBP might very well be one of the new ones in there!

I hadn't realised there was yearly & monthly games in the instant collection. I just assumed all the games would change at the end of the month and that Motorstorm and something else were the next ones. Cheers for the heads up will wait until November to see what goodies we get then :D
    krudler wrote: »
    Do you have to order it on the argos website to get the voucher or do they just give it to you instore?

I'm almost certain it is In-store. I just Reserved it online and picked it up/paid for it in the shop the next day.

I bought mickey mouse and I think it looks really well but and its a big but, I couldnt figure out how to save my game so had to start from the start each time which meant I gave up on it very quickly but would love to know if you can save the game as I'd probably play it all the way through if you could.

cheers.

Are they all super clean looking or more like their original versions, I kinda prefer seeing old games as they should be, sometimes emulators make everything too clean looking and they wind up looking worse.

yeah I have that recent effect as well as I say cant put it down at the moment. I'm playing gravity rush at the moment, about half way through and loving it. End up roaming aimlessly a lot of time but its half the fun, floating about the place.

I havent got into the indie games yet but I think I'll purchase a few this weekend like hotline miami which was just reduced for PS plus members I hear. Any good indie platformers??

Guacamelee is a must buy, it is a beat em up/platformer. Miami Hotline and Lone Survivor are another 2 to look at!

I bought mickey mouse and I think it looks really well but and its a big but, I couldnt figure out how to save my game so had to start from the start each time which meant I gave up on it very quickly but would love to know if you can save the game as I'd probably play it all the way through if you could.

cheers.

A lot if those older PS1 games don't have save points. Great thing about the Vita is that you can turn it off and then pick it back up later to continue from exactly where you left off

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Jamie OD

€179! My local CEX is selling a used one for €175. Chancers

To be fair, that's been their price long before the Vita dropped down to €179. But yeah, I doubt they're going to be selling much of them anytime soon without another price drop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Guacamelee is a must buy, it is a beat em up/platformer. Miami Hotline and Lone Survivor are another 2 to look at!

Limbo is around €3 as well at the moment so that's worth picking up as well. Beautiful game to look at although I don't know if it was really worth the €12 they were selling it for originally. Having restarted Lone Survivor and being much more conservative with my supplies I finally gotten past where I got stuck and enjoying it much more now. It's amazing how much you get sucked into it. It's an 8-bit zombie Twin Peaks.

Check out some of the PSP games as well. Peace Walker was going cheap for a while and I'd recommend Everybody's Tennis to, well, everybody.

• Advertisement

I got Limbo free because I had downloaded months ago for PS3 on PS+ so it was available for Vita free of charge. I have been playing KZ Liberation on my Vita looks great as it can for a PSP game!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement