Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of Focus & Off Topic MkIII...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

Ah, I was thinking the other way around, based on your earlier post. :o Not much point using old lenses on a new body (if updating just that), I suppose. Stability is the aim of the game with tripods - don't have a detachable ball head thing on the current one and WD40 mightn't be enough to clear it up a bit, who knows. Took this whilst using it and wouldn't take much to challenge its legs, methinks. For now, I need to simply RTFM. :cool:

hmm.. in my humble opinion great lens+old body is better combination than top body + kit lens :)
    Re tripods - you don't have to buy Gitzo as there are other manufacturers, but tripod is an investment and also you can use it for different purpose - self defense :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Got a 50mm lens and a tripod. :) Opted not to go for carbon fibre. Tempting, mind you. Thanks for the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

Got a 50mm lens and a tripod. :) Opted not to go for carbon fibre. Tempting, mind you. Thanks for the feedback.

Ha enjoy and share some pics :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Are there any good tutorials on using a 50mm? Most of the stuff on Youtube seems to be why should buy one, or comparisons rather than how to...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Are there any good tutorials on using a 50mm? Most of the stuff on Youtube seems to be why should buy one, or comparisons rather than how to...

How do you mean 'using a 50mm' ? Trivially, you point it at stuff and push the shutter button, like any other lens. What specific problems are you experiencing with it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't think you'll specifically find a tutorial. it's just a case of getting to know the benefits of the bigger aperture (if you've not used one before) - in terms of low light and depth of field control, which are not specific to a 50mm.

Not a problem as such. More so how not to be using it like an eejit, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭eoglyn

50mm on a crop is a brilliant focal length for portraits, for kids, for animals, for landscape even, pretty much every thing. Put it on your camera and leave it on it, forget you have a zoom or any other lens for a while. Zoom with your feet. Learn how it behaves at all apertures. Use it wide open, but don't be afraid to stop it down either - regardless of make or model it will be sharpest from about f2.8 to f8 or so. You can't look like an eejit, it's not possible. Have fun with it.

Take this, for instance. Basic question alert - will it always default to blur the background? Not complaining. ;)

15783349903_24d4a386e7.jpgTabby in January by The Black Oil, on Flickr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭eoglyn

Take this, for instance. Basic question alert - will it always default to blur the background? Not complaining. ;)

Nice shot, cool cat.

Less so at f8 than at f2. Google depth of field and aperture - there's lots of info out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

We have all heard of pirate copy's of photoshop,and may have even used them in the past :pac: but I have always thought that the big boys bought their copys

High street fashion chain Forever 21 is being sued by Adobe for allegedly using pirated copies of Photoshop.
    http://news.sky.com/story/1417967/adobe-sues-fashion-chain-over-pirated-photoshop

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's a difference between pirated and unlicenced, and i suspect sky may not be too careful about the distinction.

http://gu.com/p/45etv

Kinda a banal message, but a vaguely interesting back story.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Masters of Photography with their most famous images

http://agonistica.com/famous-photographers-with-their-most-famous-images/

http://photoq.nl/ruim-20-procent-finale-fotos-world-press-photo-gemanipuleerd/

20% of finalists in the World Press Photo contest rejected due to image manipulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I thought this was interesting - photography newsagency asked to hand over images, refused unless a warrant was produced - which it was.
    "To become the perceived ‘Eyes and Ears’ of the gardaí at protests and demonstrations and marches undermines our ability to carry out our work," he wrote.

"It is bad for democracy if the Fourth Estate ceases to be independent or seen to be independent of the other powerful arms of state," he wrote.

Kind of scary territory if a photographer's work becomes the eyes on the ground for the gardai. What would be the impact on people's relationship with photographers out and about?

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/photography-agency-gardai-used-warrant-to-seize-pictures-of-water-protests-662466.html

Cork_girl wrote: »
    I thought this was interesting - photography newsagency asked to hand over images, refused unless a warrant was produced - which it was.

Kind of scary territory if a photographer's work becomes the eyes on the ground for the gardai. What would be the impact on people's relationship with photographers out and about?

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/photography-agency-gardai-used-warrant-to-seize-pictures-of-water-protests-662466.html

It may see a strange shift in peoples reaction to the presence of photographers / media. I have photographed a number of protests and even though there was anger / some disorder I never really felt threatened by the groups in fact it was often the opposite where the people turned to me to highlight their cause.

http://photoq.nl/ruim-20-procent-finale-fotos-world-press-photo-gemanipuleerd/

20% of finalists in the World Press Photo contest rejected due to image manipulation.

Presumably this term can cover a large amount of ground, or for those of us with an untrained eye are we talking about more subtle edits? The article refers to 'anomalies'.

Presumably this term can cover a large amount of ground, or for those of us with an untrained eye are we talking about more subtle edits? The article refers to 'anomalies'.

even their printed rules for submission are very vague
    https://submit.worldpressphoto.org/

12. The content of an image must not be altered. Only retouching that conforms to currently accepted standards in the industry is allowed. The jury is the ultimate arbiter of these standards.

• Advertisement

even their printed rules for submission are very vague

It's the press industry though. Look at the standards for AP, or Reuters for example, they're pretty clear cut. There's a little bit of wiggle room, but not much. Some of the entrants had apparent cloned sections of their shots out. That's 100% verboten and everyone should have been aware of that.

The ever brilliant Martin Parr via facebook;

10968196_10153086679549509_2155711933191196566_n.jpg?oh=49dca6877dfe0ee5e8d10c2436255dc5&oe=55497437&__gda__=1434914402_e0f28379229edb63fd473c187919eb6e

source

If you want to follow him on facebook - here's his page

(I know, some like, some no like..... :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭dinneenp

The editors of Smithsonian magazine have just announced the finalists in their 12th annual photo contest, selected from more than 26,500 entries. a few good photos here:
    link

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Happy St. Patrick's Day
    link is to my fullscreen website homepage, nice way to use fullscreen I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

This isn't my picture but would have been a great idea for this months "Shadows" competition
    Taken during the eclipse - pleated blinds

7dPJfer.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Ben D Bus wrote: »

Nope can't think of anybody like that at all :P

• Advertisement

on shooting the parade with a long zoom, i've figured it - and its taken many years :D

So, what i've decided I need is in addition to Av, Tv, TAv, M, and P is a Fv setting to be available on my camera (focal length priority) - something which dynamically adjusts the shutter speed depending on what the current focal length is - or yeah,..... just the discipline to set the shutter speed to faster than the longest focal length of my currently attached lens (doh!).

(i know, i know, this feature may also be referred to as your thumb but hey a techno version of it could be nice :D)

signed: lazy photographer

ps. primes rock, and zooms are heavy buggers to be hand holding.

Advertisement