Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Reviews

• 03-08-2006 10:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭vibez

Howdie folks,

Just starting a tread to find out whats the best gym in Dublin/Leinster. I recently joined the National Aquadic Centre in Blanch and i must say i am impressed so far.

With the like of Total Fitness & Westpoint on the doorstep of the NAC people thaught i was crazy joinin.

Full membership was a reasonable €440 and id say 99% of classes are free for members.

Weight area isnt to bad, and machines are in fairly good condition.

Peak times are never over full either which is nice, ive heard Total fitness can be hectic!

How do you rate your Gym?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

DCU gym. for cardio quite decent. for weights dear god it is crap actully no it is really really really crap. My membership will be up in around the start of october and at that point i will probably look for another gym.

Then again if i could find a reasonably priced bodybuilders/ powerlifter gym around santry drumcondra i would join that and stay with DCU aswell. So if anybody knows any let me know;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,375 ✭✭✭fletch

Paid €395 to join Crunch Fitness in Lucan/Clonsilla...think it's closer €600 for non-students. The Fitlinxx system is pretty cool, sensors attached to each machine record your personal workout....it never seems too busy although I'll reserve judgement til the Winter sets in. Don't like the way the free weights are in front of all the CV machines, I'm too self consious to use them as a result. But other than that, the pool is nicely heated and the whole place seems spotlessly clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭comer_97

I'm in Jackie Skelly's on Clarendon St. And it is a dive. Weight area is very small, at peak times even off peak it is hard to get near the machines and there are very few free weights.

lots of treadmills, but the cross trainers have seen better days, the footstraps are all ripped and most of the TVs don't work.

I paid nearly 800 for the honour of using the gym!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Soulgirl

I have to say I love the Fitness Dock on Camden St. The staff there are really friendly and enthuastic. There's always a nice buzz when you go in there, even if you're feeling lousy after work.
    The machines are decent, plenty of weights and the classes are very good - high standard and you come out aching!
    Really think they do a great job down there. I've been a member for two years now and wouldnt consider changing gyms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Oobie

I joined Jackie Skelly in Swords but for the last few weeks I've been using the Clarendon Street one and it's horrible. I won't be renewing my membership when the year is up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

comer_97 wrote:
    I'm in Jackie Skelly's on Clarendon St. And it is a dive. Weight area is very small, at peak times even off peak it is hard to get near the machines and there are very few free weights.

lots of treadmills, but the cross trainers have seen better days, the footstraps are all ripped and most of the TVs don't work.

I paid nearly 800 for the honour of using the gym!

Aye, but off peak tis grand, as long as you are willing to get there at 6:30 in the morning :)

Oobie wrote:
    I joined Jackie Skelly in Swords but for the last few weeks I've been using the Clarendon Street one and it's horrible. I won't be renewing my membership when the year is up.

thinking that myself - but what other decent gyms are around that area?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Crunch Fitness in Dun Laoghaire...Savage Gym. I really like it and can definitely call it my second home at this stage. It's got a quality set up but one downfall would be the smaller freeweights section(there are two freeweights sections, one with dumbells up to 20 and the other which is smaller which has dumbells from like 20kg upwards...)

I dislike the fact that there are no tennis courts and this is one advantage Westwood has over it, well that and the fact that the jacuzzi and saunas etc are not mixed but the whole setup in Crunch is far superior to that of Westwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,375 ✭✭✭fletch

cheesedude wrote:
    Crunch Fitness in Dun Laoghaire...Savage Gym. I really like it and can definitely call it my second home at this stage. It's got a quality set up but one downfall would be the smaller freeweights section(there are two freeweights sections, one with dumbells up to 20 and the other which is smaller which has dumbells from like 20kg upwards...)

I dislike the fact that there are no tennis courts and this is one advantage Westwood has over it, well that and the fact that the jacuzzi and saunas etc are not mixed but the whole setup in Crunch is far superior to that of Westwood.
    I'm a member of Crunch in Clonsilla....you don't happen to know off hand can I use the one in Dun Laoghaire (could be handy cause I work out that way)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭vibez

Jaysus lads i rekin i got best deal goin on here,

NAC also has the machines that logs ur work out very handy indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

fletch wrote:
    I'm a member of Crunch in Clonsilla....you don't happen to know off hand can I use the one in Dun Laoghaire (could be handy cause I work out that way)

Yeah you defo can...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭comer_97

the only reason im in jackie skelly's is the location otherwise i wouldn't go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mystery lady

YMCA, Aungier Street
    small gym but good use of space, sauna, lots of classes all evening long - aerobics, dance, alternative etc...5 euros for gym, around 6 euros for classes

while we are on this rating of gymns - can anyone recommend any of the other gyms in the city centre, that wont break the bank like Jackie Skellys

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭bobk

crunch fitness in temple bar is awful,

always busy, hot and smelly

staff are uninformed and couldn't give a toss

used it a lot to start with, now i never go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

Westpark in Tallaght

Good gym, great staff and lots of free features [classes, personalised programmes, swimming pool, nutrition info]

Only bad thing I can say is that the weights area is always packed esp with hoggy foreigners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Liffey Valley Fitness.

~€500

Great gym, has everything I would ever need, although I only use the free weights. Never have any hassle getting an oly bar and a rack, occassionally have to put thing on hold for a bench, but only very occassionally. Good cardio section, haven't been there in a while but never see problems getting a machine. Nice looking swimming pool, but I have yet to tog out! Fair few classes, pay for yoga/pilates ones, have yet to attend any classes.

Some nice looking instructors too.

Only complaint, is no water outlet. I once forgot to fill my bottle and asked "Em, is there anywhere I can get water?" and was pointed to a vending machine :rolleyes:.

A little on the expensive side considering what I use but the convenience is unbeatable. (5 minute cycle. 10-15 walk)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Was in Westpoint, membership up this month. Quite enjoyed it there machines are in good nick, weights are good apart from the dumbells that just go as far as 30kg, good amount of benches and the like, very clean and CHEAP!
    Since being in Phibsboro for most of the day now, I decided I'd pop into Power House to have a nose, a lot of big dudes in there which is handy if you need any advice, nice guys as well. However the machines are ancient and the dumbells are like something a circus strongman would use - you know the one's like two canon balls on each end :) - savage gym for getting humongus, but I couldn't hack the ancient machines or the rope on the tricep pull downs!
    So rang a mate of mine who works in Finglas Corpo gym, she said that they have 30kg weights, a squat rack and a bench's for pressing etc. Went up on Monday and my jaysis, it's pity full. It had none of the mentioned appartus, they had a barbel but no bench! dumbells were only 20kg, the squat rack turned out to be a shelf for stacking the EZ bars, the cable cross over machine was brutal and it was FULL of idiot teenagers giving them selves arthitis and slipped discs. The staff seem not bothered by what was going on and none of them (people working out) ever heard of selected number of reps for each exercise, I think one bunch of budding arnolds did about 100 sets of 1000 reps with the smith machine!! showing complete disregard for anyone else wishing to use it. NEVER AGAIN!
    Its back to westpoint for re-newed membership.

RANT OVER :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Crunch UCD, it's okay, very convenient when i'm in college but it can get ridiculously overcrowded at times. Weights area is ok, they got in some extra benches and have some 40KG dumbbells now but there still way short on plates and the squat rack is constantly hogged by wannabe rugby players doing 1/4 rep squats with 150KG when they should be doing half that. rant over also :p

Can anyone recommend any gyms geared more towards resistance training around ucd/clonskeagh area or (near) city centre?
    Total fitness malahide road isn't too far from me(great gym imo) but without a car i've no realistic way of getting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

i'm in ALSAA at the airport

It's dirt cheap - 33euro a month.
    Open till 10.30 mon - fri and 10pm sat & sun - which is ace as most other gyms close early at weekends and I have no life so sat night training is cool.

Downside is it's small with not a huge selection of stuff but it does seem to have one of everything (almost)

Also apart from mon/tues nights it's fairly qt.

Pass by 2 gyms to get to it (jackie skelly sword andimage fitness studio).
    so it must be doing something right.

Also use of sausa , pools etc...there is a bar there too but cos I've no life I haven't been.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭darraghw

jsb wrote:
    DCU gym. for cardio quite decent. for weights dear god it is crap actully no it is really really really crap. My membership will be up in around the start of october and at that point i will probably look for another gym.

Then again if i could find a reasonably priced bodybuilders/ powerlifter gym around santry drumcondra i would join that and stay with DCU aswell. So if anybody knows any let me know;)

Have you tried to get acces to the sports/elite part, great set of weights there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,853 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Westpoint is very good gym and it's absolutely great value. It also has a swimming pool, sauna and steam room which adds even more value. I never find it too hectic tbh.

I wish they'd invest in some decent air conditioning though. I don't know how people use the downstairs treadmills, they being right next to the heated swimming pool and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

jsb wrote:

Hey jsb, do they let you use the 'elite gym'? I hear thats got very good equiptment, but alas I amnt allowed to use it :mad: lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

I go to Westpoint. Very good gym in terms of quality of equiptment, its very tidy and well layed out and so on. Great membership price too, and other people who lift there seem like nice people. 3 things I dislike; 1) Not enough free weights which means the place gets crowded very easily 2) Dumbells arnt heavy enough and 3) As someone else already mentioned, they seriously need to improve the air conditioning throughout the gym

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Flex wrote:
    Hey jsb, do they let you use the 'elite gym'?

no, why do you think i don't like the DCU gym:D :D oh i miss the old DCU gym it was small and smelled of sweat but man it so much better

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭kwalsh000

Theres also that new northwood gym just up from aldi in ballymun/santry. From what ive heard and seen it looks decent..but at 500 a year..either way, if your bored no harm in taking a wander up there. Also santry stadium has a mini gym..just free weights there..not really that busy..none of this cardio machine lark so you if your from the area no harm in checking it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭vibez

I heard the one in blanch does be chocka block all the time. a friend says that yes its cheap but only for that he would nt be a member. is this true?

My missus got an offer through work to join Alsa (gym beside airport, sorry bout spellin :D ) 7 euro per wk !!! wat a give away.

Im suprised not to be seen more comments on Total fitness :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭RPGGAMER

my gym is UL gym in limerick

good gym overall. free weights excellent except for lack of reverse hyper bench

great outdoor facilities too. track and such

its open to membership and public pay as you go which is handy.

cardio is decent too has everything and staff are knowledgeable ( and train hard/competitivly themselves - very unusual in most gyms)

lacks jacuzzi though :(

can be busy in peak times oct-may.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭RPGGAMER

Flex wrote:
    Hey jsb, do they let you use the 'elite gym'? I hear thats got very good equiptment, but alas I amnt allowed to use it :mad: lol

HERCS gym in dublin. lurcan street i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭gazzer

Im also a member of the NAC (since Nov 05) and i think it is a great spot.. I havnt done any of the classes yet but there are plenty of them and nearly all of them are included in the membership.. The only gripe i would have with the place is that they only have the one squat rack and sometimes you can be waiting ages to use it..

Advertisement