Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Today I did some detailing...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

what tyres on the original, 40k is good

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

Continentals 225/40/R18. Put on Bridgestone this time

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

SBPhoto wrote: »
    Continentals 225/40/R18. Put on Bridgestone this time

Same as on my car.
    Friend of mine got 40k from a set on a vRS combi as well.
    Mind you he did drive like he was driving on ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Was asked by a family relation to give a lift to this car, a surprise gift for her elderly cousin. The man that owns it has it since new, and I very much doubt it's seen many cleanings! Was up there with one of the harder jobs I have done. There is plenty of scrapes and dings on it, but I couldn't do much about them. I can't be arsed going to the effort of blurring the reg, but yer man is in his 80's so doubt he'll care.

He was in his element with the results, thought it was a new car, parking it out the front of the house for the neighbours to see. It was nothing much, but meant so much to him. Threw in a new air freshener for good measure.

I Love doing black cars, as they have the potential, no matter how bad they are, to come up like a gem!

A Few befores, seem to have lost my interior befores

xWJGSUp.jpg

9T8uObj.jpg

And afters

Hs6AFYU.jpg

YHG4Pp8.jpg

EVr8Tbk.jpg

goiyD0b.jpg

8bEerII.jpg

The door shuts were gone over after the interior pics, for the pedantic beings amongst us!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Those pics are huge Noccy_Mondy. 3,264px × 2,448px :eek:.

• Advertisement

Hal1 wrote: »
    Those pics are huge Noccy_Mondy. 3,264px × 2,448px :eek:.

Are they? Woops. I just uploaded them to imgur straight off my camera roll on my phone. My laptop is broken, so I'm fairly limited with my IT resources. If they are too obtrusive on the desktop site (looks alright on the mobile) then mods, feel free to resize them on my behalf :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Ok, I just tried another browser and their fine. I use firefox mainly as chrome doesn't like me for some reason :confused:.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Gave the E39 it's first proper "Detail" in my ownership. Wheels were treated with Korrosol and washed again afterwards with AutoGlym's Wheel cleaner and the tyres shined with 50Cal's tyre dressing. The body was washed with AutoGlym's Shampoo, clayed with Meguiars clay and quick detailer, washed again, dried, polished with AutoGlym Super Resin and finally sealed with C2V3, courtesy of MM :) Interior was treated to a simple Vacuum and quick clean and febreezed.

20150628_184708_zpsd0rroyrj.jpg

20150628_184716_zpswazdmeyd.jpg

20150628_184732_zpsx2nlzxgb.jpg

20150628_193049_zps7wz2vamu.jpg

20150628_193055_zpsrxksbpzw.jpg

20150628_193134_zpsjqbxejfh.jpg

20150628_193143_zpsnaq6v9cj.jpg

20150628_193152_zpsvhdbk2o1.jpg

20150628_193427_zpsltnuqumq.jpg

Next job on the list is sort the headlights, I have the Meguiars kit for it just need to get the lend of a drill. Then get the bonnet resprayed as the stone chips are killing it and also grab a towing eye cover from BMW.

Happy with my few hours work though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

I carried out an enhancement detail on this Mini‬ ‪John Cooper Works‬, I also applied a 12 month paint sealant to lock in the fresh shine. Being a typical mini it had very dull and faded trim which I restored back to like new.. Check it out !! :cool:

No in detail pictures as the day was too long.

1-DSCF1371_zpsqeafk8mj.jpg

2-DSCF1375_zps3xqtk3eu.jpg

3-DSCF1376_zpsplufzrev.jpg

4-DSCF1378_zpsgxuthkiu.jpg

5-DSCF1379_zps8tahfdgi.jpg

Products/tools:
    • Nilfisk E140
    • Autosmart Duet
    • Autosmart Smart wheels
    • Tar Remover
    • Liquid Elements Clay Towel
    • Autosmart Fallout Remover
    • Optimum Hyper Polish Spray
    • Optimum Microfiber Polishing Pads 5 & 3 inch
    • Shinemate EP801 Machine Operated Polisher (MOP)
    • 3M soft 5 inch backing plate
    • Flexipads 3 inch medium/hard backing plate
    • Kestrel DAS6
    • Polish Angel Escalate Lotion
    • Polish Angel Master Sealant
    • Hexlogic Black Pad 5 & 3 inch
    • Autosmart Highstyle
    • Autosmart Finish
    • Solution Finish
    • Autoglym Car Glass Polish
    Time: 7 hours/4 hours travel

Thanks for looking :D

You are a hard grafter James.
    Great looking result.

A Bottle of the Solution Finish is coming high up on my "Must get" list.

• Advertisement

It's all great when a product is good at what it does but when it's fun to use it makes the job much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭XsApollo

It's all great when a product is good at what it does but when it's fun to use it makes the job much easier.

Did you do that work at the owners house James?
    In the front garden?
    Or do you need a garage to work in?

XsApollo wrote: »
    In the front garden?

Weather permitting James can work outdoors.

XsApollo wrote: »
    In the front garden?

That was a friend from up the country, it started to rain just as I left thank god :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Got a chance to pop out and give it a quick clean. Was absolutely bogging; perfect for some product testing! :)
    Wheels cleaned / de-iron
    Snowfoam
    Wash
    De-iron
    Wash
    Dry
    Once over with a cream wax
    Treat plastics and tyres
    Windscreen sealant
    Quick vacuum

Looks a bit respectable now. Needs a light machining to make it pop...and some dread rust spots in the arches need attention! :(

20150704_132329_zpszslbapfb.jpg

^^ Wasn't before time ^^ :P

Looking good now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Looks good! Quick question on the rust spots. How would you go about that? Assuming it needs to be ground off or do those anti rust chemicals work?

Relative has a rust spot from the contact points of roof bars and want to treat it before it gets too bad.

Depends...my rust is bubbling and will need grinding or perhaps a new bit of metal.
    Surface rust could just be treated and painted. I'm guessing the roof bar damage is just surface?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Curran wrote: »
    Depends...my rust is bubbling and will need grinding or perhaps a new bit of metal.
    Surface rust could just be treated and painted. I'm guessing the roof bar damage is just surface?

Ill try get a snap and post it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭micks_address

i need to pluck up some courage to take pictures of the car outside of the house :)

Some new supplies last week so washed the car Friday evening.

1) Snowfoam with Bilt Hamber Auto Wash
    2) Handwash with Meguiars Luxurious Lambs Wool Wash Mitt - bucket with grit guard - 5ml autowash in bucket
    3) Rinse down with nilfisk
    4) Dry with Micro madness dry me crazy (best thing ever)
    5) Hoover inside
    6) Leather wiped with Dr Leather Advanced leather wipes..

Happy with the results.. car looks great still apart from a some bird attack on the back windsceen..

Next time I'll take pictures..

Thanks to curran for the supplies

I have this dustbuster over a year now and its the first one I've had that does a reasonable job on the carpets

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BLACK-DECKER-Lithium-Compact-Titanium/dp/B00IUK800O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434439069&sr=8-1&keywords=black+and+decker+dust+buster+18v

Easily as good as breaking out the house hoover..

I've yet to venture into the world of waxing or claying or polishing but I'm sure I'll get there!

Cheers,
    Mick

Same again today between the showers

• Advertisement

Good man Mick - you've got your wash technique sorted....shortly it will be time to venture into the unknown; would recommend you get some sort of protection on the car, definitely before the winter...should be aiming to have it on the car by late Sept if you are leaving it until then!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭micks_address

Good man Mick - you've got your wash technique sorted....shortly it will be time to venture into the unknown; would recommend you get some sort of protection on the car, definitely before the winter...should be aiming to have it on the car by late Sept if you are leaving it until then!!

Protection yikes!

What's the recommended process?

Cheers
    Mick

Ideally, a de-tar and claying minimum, as you want the car decontaminated to ensure you dont inflict swirls during application.

If you wanted something really easy and risk free - CarPro HydrO2 would be worth looking at.

Wash the car, spray onto a panel, power wash off (the force of the water causes the product to activate), move to next panel and repeat, do the whole car, then dry it. Job done!

See it in action here...
    Watch how differently the water reacts from before application (sits on the bonnet) and after (beads and runs away) - its THAT easy! ;)

Forgot to mention - without doing a full decontamination of the paintwork, the HydrO2 wont perform to its full ability, but since its that easy to apply, you could do it every few washes and the car would be protected easily.
    Gives the paintwork a really nice shine too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

That Hydro2 looks good, is it fairly durable as well? Wouldn't be popular with the Done Deal boyos who throw a bucket of water over the car before photographing it for the ad. :pac:

Given how easy it is to use, its actually not too bad. CarPro say 3 months, but from my testing earlier in the year, during poor weather, and no washing of the car, it was about 2 months, but I reckon it would perform quite well if it had another coat after a month.

My interior could do with a shampoo (focus). What I'd like done is the seats, roof and floor carpet/mats. I never let the ground get too dirty, always does be vacuumed regularly, so no matter who gets the task, they wont have to do alot to earn their money. I went into a valeting place last week and enquired, saying all I want done is the inside, as I can manage the outside myself. They basically said that they won't/don't do carpets, all they do is the seats and roof, for 60 euro. An extra 20 to do the exterior. I thought this was odd, I'm nearly sure the mondeo carpets were done last year. So those of you in the know, is it common practice to do the floor carpets as part of a standard valet?

Every valet will have their own set of pre-defined tasks for a given price.
    To be honest, it's a job that shouldn't be turned down...a price should be worked out. The roof is harder to do than the carpets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Given how easy it is to use, its actually not too bad. CarPro say 3 months, but from my testing earlier in the year, during poor weather, and no washing of the car, it was about 2 months, but I reckon it would perform quite well if it had another coat after a month.

I see the instructions mentions that it can be applied and rubbed over with a microfibre cloth to activate. Did you ever try that?

• Advertisement

No, havent tried it that way - if I was going for a microfiber application, I think Id go for a different product in the CarPro range; Reload.
    It does a really nice job of filling defects while giving very good protection too.

Advertisement