Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How would you handle this interview situation?

• 27-06-2014 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I did an interview and it seemed to go well. The references i used are from 04-08. 01-02 and 02-04. I was self employed from 08 to 2012. My issue is that the 2001-04 references were managers who may not work at the branches any longer and as such may not be contactable. I still keep in contact with my manager from 04-08 so i know he is contactable. Should i contact the place i interviewed for and offer contact details for alternative references? i'd hate to miss out on the job because my references couldn't be checked.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I did an interview and it seemed to go well. The references i used are from 04-08. 01-02 and 02-04. I was self employed from 08 to 2012. My issue is that the 2001-04 references were managers who may not work at the branches any longer and as such may not be contactable. I still keep in contact with my manager from 04-08 so i know he is contactable. Should i contact the place i interviewed for and offer contact details for alternative references? i'd hate to miss out on the job because my references couldn't be checked.

Do you have your references on your c.v.?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 hello there folks

I do, it was stupid, i should have thought and put places where i have volunteered who would have been happy to be used as a reference.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I do, it was stupid, i should have thought and put places where i have volunteered who would have been happy to be used as a reference.

Ok first off, follow up with a mail apologising for your referees being out of date (no one wants 15 year old referees) and suggest others such as clients when you were self employed etc, who may want to give you a reference.

Secondly take the referees off your c.v.!

Some jobs these days do a five year background check, you need to sort yourself referees for the present time who can vouch for you, should you be in that situation :)

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I have "references available on request" on my CV. If references are requested, I call the relevant referees, have a good chat with them about the role I've applied for and the company. So that they'll know to expect the call, and they'll be prepared for it. I would tend to drop in a thank you card or something afterwards, too, once I've been offered the job.

It's really not a good idea to include references on your CV, no one wants their contact details passed around like that. If someone gets a call out of the blue looking for a reference, it won't be a great one if they're not prepared for it and expecting the call.

I have "references available on request" on my CV. If references are requested, I call the relevant referees, have a good chat with them about the role I've applied for and the company. So that they'll know to expect the call, and they'll be prepared for it. I would tend to drop in a thank you card or something afterwards, too, once I've been offered the job.
    I'm the same, good referees are worth their weight in gold.

• Advertisement
Advertisement