Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vegetarian Sandwiches

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Mellor wrote: »
    When you say deli, do you mean an actually deli or the meat/salad counter in spar/centra. Find a good place for sandwixhes imo.
    I haven't lived in Ireland for a few eyars now. But the delis I went to when there had stuff live avocado and hummus i'm sure. There was agreat one near ChristChurch

There's two delis near my work both have all those options. It can't be just a australian thing.

well a deli is a deli whether it's in a chain store like spar or a smaller family business type place. A good place is few and far between which is why this thread is here, Ireland isn't exactly the best place at catering to vegetarians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

--LOS-- wrote: »
    I made a yummy sandwich this evening,

This stuff....

dNPS7.jpg

veggie tuna pate, sweetcorn, lettuce and mayo. I used to love tuna and sweetcorn sandwiches and this gave the same kind of taste imo.

That's something I'll definitely try out! Nice tuna melt might turn out good!
    hannahmag wrote: »
    Grated carrot, chopped spring onion, black pepper and hummous sandwich is so tasty.

Pitta with hummous, avocado, chilli sauce, falafel and spinach.

Bagel with hummous, sweet chilli sauce and grilled slices of sweet potato.

Just to name a few!

You like hummus, I take it? :pac:

I'm going to try out veggie version of the Club Sandwich. I think that would be a nice sandwich! smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

--LOS-- wrote: »
    well a deli is a deli whether it's in a chain store like spar or a smaller family business type place.
    The thread is about sandwiches. My posts were based on options that are availible in places that make sandwiches. Simple.
    Family run or chain store don't come into it at all.
    Lots of cafes are great, or O'Briens, It's a Bagel and the Bagel Bar. (are these still around?) are what i was talking about. Decent options anytime I was in them.

My point is the deli counter in Spar is the counter that sells meat, cheese, coleslaw, egg mayo etc. Sure they'll put these few options on bread for you at lunch. But thats not what a sane person should consider as sandwich bar.
    They are equally crap for meat eaters imo.

I'm aware that vegetarian food in genral is terrible in ireland. But as I said before, sandwiches are the exception due to "vegetarian" ingredients appealing to everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 harlot

I've yet to see a good one in Ireland, there are just those spar ones, and it is similar in small cafes. If anybody knows any around Dublin City centre speak up!

The Runner Bean on Nassau St has a good selection. They also sell fruit and veg grown on their own farm in North County Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭spiralbound

harlot wrote: »
    The Runner Bean on Nassau St has a good selection. They also sell fruit and veg grown on their own farm in North County Dublin.

Yep, was just going to say the Runner Bean - they have avocado (but no hummus, that I've seen) - also things like sundried tomatoes, olives etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

I marinate and grill veg (eggplant, courgette, peppers etc) then cover it with olive oil and store it in the fridge. It is easy sandwich fixings and top with your favourite cheeses and spreads - e.g. chipotle sour cream or fresh salsa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭smeedyova

The problem with most of the deli counters in general is that they do not keep meat and veg separate. Even if the veg is in a different container most often you will see staff place the bread for the veggie sandwich on the counter where they have just prepared a meat sandwich and the meat, especially chicken bits, may be on the counter. If you watch them make a sandwich for the person in front of you you'll note that they usually dip their hand in the chicken and then in the tomato, etc., so all of the veg has been touched by a hand that has just handled meat, with very likely transfer of meat bits to the veg. Then, they usually cut the bread with the same knife that has just been used to cut a meat sandwich. That is why I almost never buy a sandwich from a deli counter.

smeedyova wrote: »
    The problem with most of the deli counters in general is that they do not keep meat and veg separate. Even if the veg is in a different container most often you will see staff place the bread for the veggie sandwich on the counter where they have just prepared a meat sandwich and the meat, especially chicken bits, may be on the counter. If you watch them make a sandwich for the person in front of you you'll note that they usually dip their hand in the chicken and then in the tomato, etc., so all of the veg has been touched by a hand that has just handled meat, with very likely transfer of meat bits to the veg. Then, they usually cut the bread with the same knife that has just been used to cut a meat sandwich. That is why I almost never buy a sandwich from a deli counter.
    I'm not questioning your choices or anything, you free to do what you want. but i was hoping that you could help me understand it.

Why do you have an issue that they touched meat earlier.
    It's like it contributes to animals dying, like say animal rennet does or food cooked in animal fat. As I said, i'm not questioning your choice or anythignm just want to understand your logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭smeedyova

It's because I do not eat any animals or products made from animals or their by-products. If the deli staff member has picked up pieces of say, chicken, and then put his/her hand in say, the tomatoes, there is very high probability that there are pieces of chicken in the tomatoes. There would certainly be some kind of residue, possibly in the way of fat. I also would not eat vegetables that have been cooked in the same pan that was used to cook meat, for example. So it's not just about not contributing to the animal dying by choosing chicken, etc., it is also that I do not want to ingest any part of an animal in any form. Does that clear it up for you? Thanks for wanting to understand :)

Makes sense.
    I figured that the food cooked in the single pan wasn't an option due to juices and such running out. I just didn't think there would be transfer from touching one then the other. But I suppose could be, definitely with say an oily salami for example.

It just not something that would of occured to me if I was making you a sandwich. Although, being a good host i would of made yours first anyway ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement