Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cannabis should be legalized in Ireland To pull Our country out of ression

• 11-09-2009 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭weedfreedomtinp

Tobacco kills 750.000 per year

Alcohol kills 400.000 per year

coffee kills 4.500 per year

aspirin kills 7.500 per year

Cannabis Kills 0 what you say 0 dont believe me look in google videos for a video called

THE UNION , THE BUSINESS BEHIND CANNABIS ,,,

Its all in it ,,

from professors from Harvard uni and many more top Law official's

when you see the video please comment on this truly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Recession

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭weedfreedomtinp

will learn how to spell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

It aint called dope for nothing... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I doubt it will bring us out of recession.

It should be legalised IMO but there are better arguments than the increase in tax take IMO.

/doesn't smoke the stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭weedfreedomtinp

i dont smoke me self just watched a few videos and just came back from amsterdam ,, there is no Recession in that place and they recon it will be the last 1 to fall ,, u should see the amount of stuff going on plus the billions of euros it brings in from just tourism alone ,,, see none of you fellas never watched the video i was talking about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

they were considering this kind of an idea in the czech republic. they thought it would increase the tax revenue etc. but when research has been done into it they found that when people smoke cannabis they drink a lot less. then there was the issue of putting money to the health system to deal with the attics etc. and basically the result was, that it would only bring around 1 million korunas into the economy, which is marginal sum really. so they abandoned it.

with regards to holland they have a completely different system over there. their health system is best in the eu, the university students get hand on experience on their course while in college and there are many other things as well. its not just cannabis;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Tripe! Pure tripe! Your proof and case is not up to much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Alcohol kills 400.000 per year

coffee kills 4.500 per year

aspirin kills 7.500 per year

Cannabis Kills 0 what you say 0 dont believe me look in google videos for a video called

Its all in it ,,

from professors from Harvard uni and many more top Law official's

when you see the video please comment on this truly

To say cannabis is competely harmless is rediculuce.
    While its probably at the same level as alcohol as health goes.
    Having more people stoned isnt going to get us out of the recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Dob74 wrote: »
    To say cannabis is competely harmless is rediculuce.
    While its probably at the same level as alcohol as health goes.
    Having more people stoned isnt going to get us out of the recession.

Yeah but we'll feel better about it.

Nate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Probably won't bring us out of recession, but it should be legalised anyway.

Apart from the tax revenue it'd bring in, it'd probably be a huge boost to our tourism industry.

And take a good deal of income away from the criminals of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Cannabis should be legalized in Ireland To pull Our country out of ression
    If the country was stoned, would any work actually get done?
    I unedrstand its actually a lot higher these days

Are you saying that cannabis smoking doesn't cause lung or throat cancers and the associated intoxication doesn't cause accidents?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Victor wrote: »
    If the country was stoned, would any work actually get done?

If the country was drunk, work wouldn't get done either, but alcohol is legal (and consumed in far greater quantities by a larger segment of the population).

It (and all recreational drugs) should be legalised, but not for the reason of pulling us out of recession; the economic benefits are merely an added bonus. They should be legalised for the reason cited by the Supreme court of Argentina: Because the state shouldn't have the power to dictate to people who they do in their own home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Jaysus, tobacco only kills 750 people a year? I would have thought it would be more than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭sold

Cannabis Kills 0

I went to a Cafe in Amsterdam some years ago, so see how they managed legal cannabis. I sat down in the cafe and accross from me was an English guy who was already stoned. He said if I wanted something stronger than weed that he had contacts. Maybe cannabis does not kill, but its part of a whole industry of drugs and pulls people down. Smoking three cannabis joints a day causes the same damage as 20 cigarettes because people tend to inhale the smoke for longer to gain the maximum "hit".

Anyway the Guy i saw high on cannabis was very edgy and anxious, borderline histerical. I think it was a good lesson for me as I did not try any in the cafe. at the back the cafe there was Adult Video rooms.

A lot of people who turn to drugs are depressed and use cannabis pushes people deeper into depression.

Why submit healthy human beings to the effects of a drug? (even possible effects?). The profit agenda behind the legalisations of Cannabis will only lead to increased spendature on health services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

sold wrote: »
    I went to a Cafe in Amsterdam some years ago, so see how they managed legal cannabis. I sat down in the cafe and accross from me was an English guy who was already stoned. He said if I wanted something stronger than weed that he had contacts. Maybe cannabis does not kill, but its part of a whole industry of drugs and pulls people down. Smoking three cannabis joints a day causes the same damage as 20 cigarettes because people tend to inhale the smoke for longer to gain the maximum "hit".

The 3 joints = 20 fags is a spook story.
    Anyway the Guy i saw high on cannabis was very edgy and anxious, borderline histerical. I think it was a good lesson for me as I did not try any in the cafe. at the back the cafe there was Adult Video rooms.

Possibly a guy who was an Amsterdam virgin? People get there, start smoking huge amounts of weed and only find out how strong it is when they're spewing into the jacks. Compared to Amsterdam weed, the stuff in Ireland isn't worth wiping your arse with, let alone paying such an exhorbitant price for what costs under €15 over there.
    A lot of people who turn to drugs are depressed and use cannabis pushes people deeper into depression.

Why submit healthy human beings to the effects of a drug? (even possible effects?). The profit agenda behind the legalisations of Cannabis will only lead to increased spendature on health services.

I don't think so. Cannabis relaxes the mind and sort of numbs out any negative thoughts you'd have. In the 9 years I've been smoking it, I have never ever once came across anybody who was depressed from smoking weed, quite the opposite. People appreciate music more, find humour and something to laugh at in the most stupid things, and then get hungry. What is so demonic about that?

And please describe exactly what expenses you forsee for the health service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

Victor wrote: »
    Are you saying that cannabis smoking doesn't cause lung or throat cancers and the associated intoxication doesn't cause accidents?
    Research is conflicting, but very interesting.
    Heavy cannabis users may be at greater risk of chronic lung disease - including cancer - compared to tobacco smokers, two studies suggest.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7217601.stm

People who smoke marijuana do not appear to be at increased risk for developing lung cancerlung cancer, new research suggests.

While a clear increase in cancercancer risk was seen among cigarette smokers in the study, no such association was seen for regular cannabis users.

Even very heavy, long-term marijuana users who had smoked more than 22,000 joints over a lifetime seemed to have no greater risk than infrequent marijuana users or nonusers.
    http://www.webmd.com/lung-cancer/news/20060523/pot-smoking-not-linked-to-lung-cancer

Cannabis may be bad for the lungs, but the active ingredient in marijuana may help combat lung cancer, new research suggests.

In lab and mouse studies, the compound, known as THC, cut lung tumor growth in half and helped prevent the cancer from spreading, says Anju Preet, PhD, a Harvard University researcher in Boston who tested the chemical.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/04/17/health/webmd/main2696726.shtml

Wildly conflicting results from the first story isn't it?
    Regardless, it is an unquestionable fact that alcholol and tobacco are greater toxins to the human body than cannabis.
    Also, just about everything we injest also has harmful properties, so just because cannabis may cause some bodily harm is not a very strong argument for it's continued prohibition.
    Drinking too much water can kill you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

There's a list somewhere which orders substances such as Alcohol and narcotics by their level of harm. Believe it or not, cannabis doesn't even make the top 10 but alcohol and tobacco do (places 2 and 3 I think). If I can find it I'll post it here.

I'd be curious to see where caffine falls on that list.
    Caffine:
    - can cause restlessness, nervousness, excitement, insomnia, flushing of the face, increased urination, gastrointestinal disturbance, peptic ulcers, erosive esophagitis, and gastroesophageal reflux disease, muscle twitching, irritability, irregular or rapid heart beat, and psychomotor agitation, mania, depression, lapses in judgment, disorientation, disinhibition, delusions, hallucinations, and psychosis, rhabdomyolysis (breakdown of skeletal muscle tissue), death, sleep disorders, generalized anxiety, panic attacks, obsessive-compulsive symptoms, even phobic symptoms.
    Can cause changes in memory and learning, impaired long-term memory, increases the risk of miscarriage, and effects on the heart (good ones and bad?).
    -It's addictive
    -It's present in lots of beverages marketed at young people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

This is the list AFAIK that the other person was referring to:
    http://digg.com/d3B4Go

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

RedPlanet wrote: »
    Drinking too much water can kill you.
    Not drinking will also kill you. But not using cannabis won't kill you.
    I'd be curious to see where caffine falls on that list.
    A fair bit down.

A cup a day is unlikely to kill normal people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

i dont smoke me self just watched a few videos and just came back from amsterdam ,, there is no Recession in that place and they recon it will be the last 1 to fall ,, u should see the amount of stuff going on plus the billions of euros it brings in from just tourism alone ,,, see none of you fellas never watched the video i was talking about

And this is down to cannabis alone? No, it isn't.

How would this work in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Haha, death isn't listed as a side effect of caffeine. Thread is ridiculous. I doubt that cannabis is in short supply for those that want it. Other than for some restricted medical conditions I see no reason why it should be legalised.

bleg wrote: »
    Haha, death isn't listed as a side effect of caffeine.
    "Death from caffeine toxicity is rare, but it has been reported due to dysrhythmias, seizures, and aspiration of emesis. Oral doses of caffeine greater than 10 g can be fatal in adults. The average daily adult intake should generally be less than 500 mg/d."
    http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/821863-overview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

"legalised"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Princeton = America = American spellings such as "color", "legalized", "lazer" etc.

European English = "colour", "legalised", "laser", etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I went to a Cafe in Amsterdam some years ago, so see how they managed legal cannabis. I sat down in the cafe and accross from me was an English guy who was already stoned. He said if I wanted something stronger than weed that he had contacts.

You'll hear the same in any pub. Amsterdam is a seedy f*cking place at times, but your story is a bit fanciful to be honest. "Oh a man offered me illegal drugs = shock horror".

A very, very small minority of coffeeshops will have that carry-on.

DarkJager,
    Cannabis relaxes the mind and sort of numbs out any negative thoughts you'd have.

For you maybe. Most people who freak out on cannabis tend to give it up, but long-term heavy use of cannabis can blunt an individual and people can certainly develop an unhealthy reliance on it. I've come across a few people whose personality has been affected negatively from long-term use of nutty skunk. I believe cannabis (along with all other drugs) should be legalised, but I wouldn't say its completely harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Balls. This use of the letter "z" irks me to no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

See, this is the problem and in my opinion the main reason weed will never be legalised here. The vast majority of the people who are in favour of legalisation come up with ridiculous barely researched ideas and can't spell.

Weed should be legalised in my opinion but not to pull us out of recession (because it wouldn't and couldn't and would only marginally help) and not because there are more dangerous drugs freely available (and there are whether you want to admit it or not) but because we should have the freedom to choose whether or not we want to use it. It's not Heroin, it's not crack, there are negative effects but since when does the government make everything thats bad for us illegal?

That's a world I don't want to live in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Well, it might help in the short term as our tourism is taking a hit. Might get some Nordie cross border shoppers too!

I do hope it's legalised but hopefully after I finish college!

Advertisement