Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Battlefield Hardline - Closed Beta - General Discussion

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

You're complaining about the way the weapons attachments are being unlocked. It's been this way since at least three BF games, the only addition is now you can decide which attachment from a given group you can unlock and in which order.

I fail to see that "bad design" here.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    You're complaining about the way the weapons attachments are being unlocked. It's been this way since at least three BF games, the only addition is now you can decide which attachment from a given group you can unlock and in which order.
    I fail to see that "bad design" here.
    That's because you're not actually describing how hardline's unlock system works. You have to earn in-game money and then spend it on the unlock you choose. Okay, that's CounterStrike's system, I can live with that. I've earned a grand, gimme my red-dot sight. Oh no, I can't spend my grand on that, because I haven't enough kills yet on that specific weapon. I need two weapon stars for red-dot sights, and more for other groups. Want an angled foregrip? Ten stars if you please.

I could tolerate the counterstrike buy-your-weapons system. I could tolerate the BF3/4 get-kills-to-upgrade-your-weapon system. Mixing the two? That's not only stupid and awkward and cramping to your play style, but there's only one reason to do that, and Ghost Recon already did it, and it's to give you a way to introduce microtransactions into the game as a more regular thing than DLCs and shortcut packs.

Have you actually played the game? I spent maybe 3 hours in total playing it, but have unlocked most things including weapons and still have 30k left. The way it works now you will always have more money to spend on things. Unless of course you suck at the game.

It's way better than BF3, when you had certain order in which the attachments were being unlocked. Now you can decide and go for the ones you want, not just wait 3 months until you kill 350 people to get certain attachment.

It says I've put in just shy of four hours and have $30k in the bank after my unlocks (which are mostly gadgets that didn't need weapon stars to buy) as well. But because most of my kills are by vehicle, explosives or melee and I spent more time PTFOing than team deathmatching, I can't unlock all the weapon upgrades.

In other words, in a vehicle and explosive-heavy map, PTFOing using the provided environment is penalised; but ignoring the game mode and map resources and just shooting at any target you see is promoted.

Like I said, bad design.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'll pay 20 euro for this but I'll be ****ed if I'm paying full price for this

• Advertisement

I don't play DM at all, only PTFO. Just FYI. Don't feel being penalized though.

Good for you. Can I interest you in a pre-order of the digital deluxe premium edition of Hardline so? :D

Got one already.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Chaps all this bitching is clustering up the general discussion thread so i've created a new Bitching & Moaning thread here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057232677

And a Sunshine & Lollipops thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057232680

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I'll pay 20 euro for this but I'll be ****ed if I'm paying full price for this

I'm not sure that is how it works I don't think you can haggle. 20 Euro a fake beard and a goblet. Final offer not a penny more or strike me down. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    I'm all for modding communities, but sometimes I get the feeling people blow way out of proportion the success rate of mods.
    Having played many hours in the BF42 mod, Desert Combat, I disagree. Sure, some of the mods are fiddly crap, but then some mods that just change the game play such as the Call of Duty modern warfare mod "Obscurity". DC would be more TC than mod, as all the weapons, planes, etc were remodelled.

As with the earlier video, this seems to have modeled a car, and repainted some items.
    fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    so "Natural Selection" for HL was a mod or total conversion?
    Think it was total conversion in the beta, but became just a mod? Not 100% sure.

=-=

Think I have gotten access to the beta. Look forward to playing it when I get home from work. Not 100% if I'll buy it, really depends on when GTA V comes out on the PC. That, and I've uninstalled BF4 a while back as I got bored with it. Hoping Hardline is interesting, but hold little hope.

/edit; just saw ktulu123's post. Thread has been open for a bit whilst logging tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭A Greedy Algorithm

Maybe Dice are rolling out this beta to see if people would be willing to be full price for it? Maybe more people would purchase it if is way say, 40 euros instead of 60? Probably not but just an idea.

Not DICE, Visceral. And if it's a financial decision, neither of them, but EA.

Sparks wrote: »
    Not DICE, Visceral. And if it's a financial decision, neither of them, but EA.
    I'll probably buy it for three fiddy and activate it through a VPN so that Valve thinks I'm in Russia.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Doing this stuff is the most fun i've had in the game yet :P Enjoy!

Had a quick game there. Surprisingly easy to get C4. Had a bit of fun with the jihad cop cars.

Overall the game play reminds me of CS 1.6, with the objectives ensuring some spots are hot, but with multiple ways to get to the objective. Felt it was more like CS than CoD.

Finding the "rogue" choppers fly like BF42 "Desert Combat" choppers. Hope they keep that.

Advertisement