Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

System Shock franchise coming to GOG

• 12-02-2013 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Not sure if this has been posted already (did a quick search).

Details here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

FSJAL_OH_EXPLOITABLE.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Fair play to whoever managed to sort out the legal cluster**** that were the rights to this franchise. These games really deserve to be played by everyone.

I have to disagree with the article about System Shock 1 though, the controls are a mess but if you use system shock portable which has reconfigurable controls it plays great.

And that midi soundtrack is so good:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I have to disagree with the article about System Shock 1 though, the controls are a mess but if you use system shock portable which has reconfigurable controls it plays great.

I actually like the system shock 1 controls, except for the weird leaning and ducking mechanic.

I really hope they implement and fix the netcode that was introduced in the official SS2 patch. I've always wanted to play through the game in co-op but its just too unstable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

TomCo wrote: »
    I actually like the system shock 1 controls, except for the weird leaning and ducking mechanic.

Set it up with WASD controls and it's much easier to lean and duck.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

/me crosses fingers for an OS X port.

• Advertisement

Well there was a MAC version of the first game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,066 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

quarryman wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been posted already (did a quick search).

Details here.

I just logged in at work for the sole purpose of thanking this post. Fantastic news.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

GOG is finally complete. The very first PC game I ever bought, I wish I'd kept the big box and manual. I wonder what the extra content is? I don't care how much it is or that I already have it installed from the disc, if they've sorted out the install and control issues for Windows 7/8, it'll be well worth it.

Get the No One Live Forever games on there and I'll call it complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

Get the No One Live Forever games on there and I'll call it complete.
    You spelt Grim Fandango wrong.

An alternative spelling is "Homeworld".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

This is awesome news. SS2 is hands down the best sci fi game I've ever played, but i've never been able to finish it because the game always crashed for me on trying to enter the bio deck past the residential + shopping area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

This is awesome news. SS2 is hands down the best sci fi game I've ever played, but i've never been able to finish it because the game always crashed for me on trying to enter the bio deck past the residential + shopping area.

It's a fantastic game, it's the only game I've ever played that's actually scared me. The ending levels were very disappointing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭strangel00p

It's a fantastic game, it's the only game I've ever played that's actually scared me. The ending levels were very disappointing though.

True, I found early stages amazing but the poor graphics in the final stages were really off putting. Even back in 1998 I knew they sucked.

gizmo wrote: »
    You spelt Grim Fandango wrong.

An alternative spelling is "Homeworld".
    NOLF and Grim Fandango I could take or leave, but I would like to see Homeworld on it now that you mention it. I'll be quite happy with SS1 and 2 for now though.

True, I found early stages amazing but the poor graphics in the final stages were really off putting. Even back in 1998 I knew they sucked.

I didn't mind the poor graphics, it was the horrible jumping sections towards the end that annoyed me.

I didn't mind the poor graphics, it was the horrible jumping sections towards the end that annoyed me.
    The sound of those teeth grinding! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

I'm jealous of those who get to play this for the first time. Has there been any advance in the Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind type memory erasure technology? No?? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 55,446 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

So based on the new timer on gog.com, it looks like 11am tomorrow for System Shock 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Man, System Shock 2 makes me feel nothing but fury. In my only playthrough I used the quicksave function over the course of about four or five hours of play, then logged out. It turns out that the quicksave/quickload feature only functions within the game environment, and is not kept after the game shuts down.

I mean...really...have you ever heard of a more idiotic design decision in your life? I might give it a go again, it's been long enough so it won't feel repetitive, but there was no way I was going to replay all of that at the time.

So be warned.

Zillah wrote: »
    Man, System Shock 2 makes me feel nothing but fury. In my only playthrough I used the quicksave function over the course of about four or five hours of play, then logged out. It turns out that the quicksave/quickload feature only functions within the game environment, and is not kept after the game shuts down.

I mean...really...have you ever heard of a more idiotic design decision in your life? I might give it a go again, it's been long enough so it won't feel repetitive, but there was no way I was going to replay all of that at the time.

So be warned.

Really? I used quick save all the time and it saved my game fine.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Well, they didn't do most of the heavy lifting but fair play to them all the same :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

This is, to use the correct scientific nomenclature, "f*cking awesome news".

Buying the hell out of SS2 when I get out of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭Wossack

very cool

remember being blown away by it (and the load times!). Had a pretty cool graphics pack too iirc

Well, they didn't do most of the heavy lifting but fair play to them all the same :)

I posted before reading it :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,066 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Would you need the original game to play System Shock 2? Are both of them coming to GOG?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Would you need the original game to play System Shock 2?

No, they're completely separate.

I meant, would you need to have played the original to enjoy the sequel properly?

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭ T. Hanks^

Gona be my first time as My Pentium 200 couldnt run it back then!! Eh have they mentioned compatabilty with Windows 7 64 etc..? Can graphics mods be used?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Gona be my first time as My Pentium 200 couldnt run it back then!! Eh have they mentioned compatabilty with Windows 7 64 etc..? Can graphics mods be used?

Said it works fine on 7 and that you can use mods according to the interview linked above.

I can't wait and especially as it's coming from gog which is by far my favourite way to buy PC games!

Advertisement