Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ryanair bid for Aer Lingus

• 18-07-2012 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭

Judging by the language it would appear the Government are preparing to sell off their stake in Aer Lingus to Ryanair, the proviso being "if it's in the best interests of the taxpayer". As successive governments have proven unwilling or incapable of acting in the best interests of the taxpayer, I'd be interested to know how many people think allowing Ryanair a virtual monopoly of the air routes off this island, in exchange for a bypass or two, would be in their best interests, I certainly don't.
    Not interested in Ryanair bashing, just realistic opinion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

How many routes do BMI/BA/Cityjet have out of Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

What is the govt's share holding worth now, versus when Aer Lingus was first floated?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,540 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

BA (what was bmi): Heathrow
    Cityjet / Air France: Paris CDG, Pau (Seasonal) and London City

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Ryanair take over Aer Lingus will not happen ever and as far as I know FR can not make a fourth offer as it would be breaking the law.

It would be very bad for Irish people and would realy damage Dublin Airport future.

lxflyer wrote: »
    BA (what was bmi): Heathrow
    Cityjet / Air France: Paris CDG, Pau (Seasonal) and London City
    I meant to say flights, but thanks. The ideal situation would be for Aer Lingus to go to a more up market airline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,540 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

BA - 5-6 flights per day, AF 5-6 flights per day to LCY and the same to CDG.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

EU blocked it when they controlled far less (combined) of Irish traffic; EU will block it again.

O'Leary is just trying to drive the share price up to sell his stake to someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

MYOB wrote: »
    EU blocked it when they controlled far less (combined) of Irish traffic; EU will block it again.

O'Leary is just trying to drive the share price up to sell his stake to someone else.

Listening to some commentators, EU blocking of a deal is not a given this time. If O'Leary is bluffing he's taking a very expensive chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭howiya

Don't forget that in this instance the Troika, of which the EU are a part, want the Government to sell its stake. Would they be fussy who bought it?

Are there any other realistic buyers out there at the moment or is selling to Ryanair the only option in the short to medium term?

The govt should sell their share in AL, as the share price, like AL, is slowing going down the plug hole. Typical Irish govt: pander to vested interests, incl the MOL haters. Sell it now, to anyone, and maximise the little return there is left on it.

aerl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Ryanair take over Aer Lingus will not happen ever and as far as I know FR can not make a fourth offer as it would be breaking the law.

It would be very bad for Irish people and would realy damage Dublin Airport future.

Ryanair has been good for Dublin airport and will continue to be.
    I know Aer Lingus isnt solely state owned anymore but it is still very inefficient and bloated compared to Ryanair

Funny how Aer Lingus supporters didnt mind when Aer Lingus had a total monopoly but now think Ryanair taking over Aer Lingus will be the worst thing ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

M three wrote: »
    Ryanair has been good for Dublin airport and will continue to be.
    I know Aer Lingus isnt solely state owned anymore but it is still very inefficient and bloated compared to Ryanair

Funny how Aer Lingus supporters didnt mind when Aer Lingus had a total monopoly but now think Ryanair taking over Aer Lingus will be the worst thing ever

Funny also how so many people seem to mistake Ryanair for Robin Hood.

But they're in the business of getting as much money as they can, not taking it from the rich and giving it to the poor. And occasionally we're reminded of this when our soccer team qualifies for some playoff or other and overnight Ryanair shoots up the fare to that venues.

Fine. That's supply and demand. And the likes of Aer Lingus and other competitors serve to balance that equation.

Do people seriously believe that if Ryanair are in control of Aer Lingus and in almost competitor-free environment they're suddenly going to start loving the customers and giving them even cheaper prices and better service? Why would they?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Ryanair taking over AerLingus would be a disaster for the Irish travelling public.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Ryanair and use them multiple times a year, I love the way they broke AerLingus's monopoly and made flying cheap and affordable.

But don't kid yourself, Ryanair isn't a charity, hand them a monopoly and prices will shut up. It isn't just to London either, but the likes of Manchester, Barcelona, Poland, etc. All places where both AerLingus and Ryanair currently fly and where AerLingus does help to keep Ryanair honest and cheap. But if AerLingus get bought, you can bet that overnight Ryanair will cancel the AerLingus flights to these places and increase their own prices significantly.

Bad, bad news.

If Ryanair have a monopoly and prices shoot up as people claim? Then what stops other airlines entering the market to take advantage of the high fares? Or BA/Cityjet increasing their number of flights?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ballooba wrote: »
    If Ryanair have a monopoly and prices shoot up as people claim? Then what stops other airlines entering the market to take advantage of the high fares? Or BA/Cityjet increasing their number of flights?

You totally underestimate Ryanair.

They will increase prices, but not by enough to make it attractive for other airlines to try and come in and compete with them. If another airline does enter the market, then Ryanair will quickly drop prices until they leave.

Ryanair would have a massive advantage in Dublin in having a large operation here and thus scale of ops. Only AerLingus has a similar scale of ops in Dublin. Any other airline would find it more expensive to set up in Dublin, thus making it hard for them to compete with Ryanair.

BTW non of this is new, Ryanair have done exactly these sort of tactics many times before at other airports and routes. The game plan is:

1) Become the primary dominant airline at an airport
    2) Increase prices when facing no competition
    3) Slash prices when another airline comes sniffing around.
    4) Increase prices again when the other airline finally leaves.

Ryanair is not a charity, they are a business. It is madness that people seem to think handing Ryanair almost a monopoly is a good thing.

Don't get me wrong I have great respect for Ryanair, they are some of the shrewdest business people in the market. But it is this respect for them that leads me to know that this consolidation would be bad for Irish people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

The way I see it, the state stands to benefit to the tune of c. €200m if the stake in AL is sold, enough only to complete the Arklow bypass. That's the end of the good news.
    Apart from the issues already raised re. removal of competition, there are other issues to consider, such as Ryanair's attitude to trade unions. I think it's inevitable there will be industrial strife following on from a Ryanair takeover, probably leading to closure of one or more of our airports. How long would it take for that to erode the €200m, affecting, as it would, tourism and trade? Secondly, the perception of Ryanair as a front line ambassador for the country, I remember a German lady commenting to me on her third visit to Ireland and her first experience of Ryanair, that she would not have enjoyed her previous visits so much and probably would not have come again if her first visit had been via Ryanair.
    Then there will be the redundancies among both flight and ground staff, redundancy and unemployment costs adding to the burden on the exchequer. These are some of the things that need to be addressed if something is deemed to be "in the best interests of the taxpayer". By all means if the State can sell off AL, then well and good but I think it would be more beneficial to sell it to anyone other than Ryanair, even at half the price. Personally, I feel if the State approves this, it will be viewed after a while as a Lowry rerun.

bk wrote: »
    They will increase prices, but not by enough to make it attractive for other airlines to try and come in and compete with them. If another airline does enter the market, then Ryanair will quickly drop prices until they leave.
    That doesn't really seem to me a problem. If the situation gets anywhere close to what fear mongers are predicting then there will be new entrants or an upscale by existing competitors. Dublin Airport has plenty of capacity as we know from painful expense.

That doesn't really seem to me a problem. If the situation gets anywhere close to what fear mongers are predicting then there will be new entrants or an upscale by existing competitors. Dublin Airport has plenty of capacity as we know from painful expense.

It isn't about space at Dublin Airport, it is about other airlines finding it very difficult to compete with Ryanair and getting burned before and fearing trying to compete with Ryanair on their own turf.

What Airline do you think is going to overnight suddenly bring 45 aircraft, plus maintence crews, checkin staff, etc. to Dublin Airport? Only to get into a massive price war with Ryanair on their home turf.

Not going to happen.

Let me tell you what would happen if Ryanair buy Aer Lingus:

1) All those routes where Ryanair and Aer Lingus compete (e.g. Manchester, Barcelona, etc.) Ryanair cancels the Aer Lingus flights, thus immediately increasing prices on the Ryanair flights due to there now being only one flight where there were two.
    2) Ryanair sells off Aer Lingus shorthaul Airbus fleet *
    3) Ryanair may keep the longhaul fleet and start operating transatlantic.
    4) Ryanair sells some or all of the Aer Lingus Heathrow slots.

While eventually you might see some other airlines enter the market to compete, it will take months or even years for them to do so and in the meantime Ryanair will milk the routes with no competition for all its worth.

And when competition does eventually enter, it won't be in any way as wide spread or consistent as Aer Lingus. Rather then have one strong competitor to Ryanair, you will have lots of different airlines, with much smaller ops, competing on just one or two routes. For instance you might get competition form BA on the UK routes, Iberia on Spanish routes, Wizz Air to eastern Europe, Norweigan to Scandanavia, etc. But you wont have one strong competitor like Aer Linugs with real scale of ops to compete with Ryanair.

* Ryanair doesn't need them or the hassle of a mixed fleet. They have plenty of spare 737's and their is high demand for Airbus aircraft in the second hand market at the moment.

Aer Lingus is a joke of an airline. It would be better if it were taken over by Etihad or another major player than Ryanair, but that doesn't seem to be on the cards. From my perspective it's an acceptable alternative that they disappear and new entrants take up the slack.

I fail to see why I should care about whether I fly on an Airbus or a Boeing.

If the business case for flogging off the Heathrow slots is better than keeping them, so be it. We have BA connections to LHR, as far as I know BA have plenty more Heathrow slots if there's a business case for it.

The fleet doesn't matter.

But the fact that if this happens, at least for the next 12 months, if not longer, you will be paying probably double for most flights out of Ireland should certainly worry you.

Even when other airlines eventually do enter, the price of tickets will still likely be higher as they will have higher operating costs then Aer Lingus due to their smaller operations here.

You just seem to have an irrational hatred of Aer Lingus. Fair enough they had a crappy monopoly for decades and Ryanair breaking this was brilliant. But it shocks me that you can't see that this is just handing that old monopoly to Ryanair.

The Aer Lingus of today is a very different company and is a very good competitor to Ryanair.

How anyone thinks that the elimination of a competitor is good for consumers baffles me?

• Advertisement

It's funny that you mention irrationality, because those arguments are ridiculous. Fares will not double, that is baseless scare mongering. Even if fares rise marginally, this for better service would be welcome.

I have no emotional connection to Aer Lingus, positive or negative. I see them as providing a poor alternative to Ryanair and I rarely fly with them. My air travel over the last year has been predominately with CityJet and Ryanair. I have flown with Etihad more than I have flown Aer Lingus. They are blocking the entry of a new entrant more than anything. If Aer Lingus disappear then someone else will take up the slack.

It's funny that you mention irrationality, because those arguments are ridiculous. Fares will not double, that is baseless scare mongering. Even if fares rise marginally, this for better service would be welcome.

It is based on pure logic and business sense.

Ryanair and Aer Lingus mirror one another on many routes (e.g. Manchester, Barcelona, etc.) and I mean they even leave Dublin for these destinations at exactly the same time!!

If Ryanair buy Aer Linugs, they will of course close the Aer Lingus routes to these places and thus prices will rise.

This is only pure business logic. No irrationality here.

It would then take many months, if not more then a year for any other airline to bring up a new route to challenge Ryanair. In this period Ryanair will of course raise prices and milk it for all it is worth. How can any sane person not see this?

Do you think Ryanair are just going to leave extra money on the table, in the goodness of their hearts, not a chance. The only reason for Ryanair to buy Aer Lingus is to take out a competitor. The only reason to take out a competitor is to take out competition and raise prices. Yes eventually some competition may arise, but in the mean time Ryanair will make the most of it.

This is business 101.

BTW I have no problem with someone else like Ethiad buying Aer Lingus. Just not Ryanair as it will leave no significant competition in Ireland.

You claimed that fares will probably double in the twelve months following takeover. Is that a rational argument?

You claimed that fares will probably double in the twelve months following takeover. Is that a rational argument?

Well if you reduce capacity by 50% on a route, then yes it is rational to predict a doubling in fares.

Think of it this way, one aircraft is capable of taking 150 passengers *. So a route has a maximum of 300 passengers between Aer Lingus and Ryanair.

200 people look to buy tickets for this route. Prices are low because both airlines are desperately trying to fill their aircraft.

But now take out one aircraft. You still have 200 people looking to fly, but only 150 seats. Guess what happens, prices rise dramatically due to supply and demand.

Again this is only pure business logic of how supply and demand works.

The only reason Ryanair would be interested in buying Aer Lingus, is to take out a competitor, reduce competition, raise ticket prices and strip and sell off the asset of Aer Lingus.

None of this would be good for the travelling public of Ireland.

* The actual capacity of a 737 is 189 passengers, using these figures for simplicity.

A couple of observations:

1. We already had a greedy expensive airline with a near monopoly operating out of Dublin airport (well, a duopoly, operated with BA), and look what happened to them.

2. Ryanair operate a near monopoly to Prestwick and the prices are among the cheapest on all of Ryanair's routes.

3. There are plenty of big non-Irish airlines with deep pockets.

I have no real opinion on Aer Lingus as I think that whoever buys them, their position in 10 years time will still be the same. Either gone, or some sort of marketing name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

It would then take many months, if not more then a year for any other airline to bring up a new route to challenge Ryanair. In this period Ryanair will of course raise prices and milk it for all it is worth. How can any sane person not see this?
    Raising prices suppresses demand, especially right now when the economy is crap. It can often lead to less profit than leaving prices low. This is economics 101.

Blowfish wrote: »
    Raising prices suppresses demand, especially right now when the economy is crap. It can often lead to less profit than leaving prices low. This is economics 101.

Yes, but it depends on supply and demand also.

Take my example, 150 seats, 200 people want to travel. If you raise prices only 140 might want to travel now. But if you are charging those 140 a lot more and still filling most of your seats, then your making a lot more money.

Yes they can't raise prices too much, as people just won't fly then, but they can certainly raise prices significantly if they manage to take out a competitor.

Prestwick isn't comparable with Dublin. Ryanair might be the only airline there, but they are competing with 25 different airlines at Glasgow International Airport. Both airports are 11km for Glasgow city center. So Ryanair is competing with a lot of airlines for passengers too and from Glasgow.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

n97 mini wrote: »
    The govt should sell their share in AL, as the share price, like AL, is slowing going down the plug hole. Typical Irish govt: pander to vested interests, incl the MOL haters. Sell it now, to anyone, and maximise the little return there is left on it.

aerl.jpg

Why does your graph only go as far as March 2009?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Yes, but it depends on supply and demand also.

Take my example, 150 seats, 200 people want to travel. If you raise prices only 140 might want to travel now. But if you are charging those 140 a lot more and still filling most of your seats, then your making a lot more money.
    You are implicitly assuming that they'll cut the second flight, when the opposite could be the case.

Both companies (and hence their flights) are already profitable. As well as this, using economies of scale, it'll be cheaper for Ryanair to have both flights than for the 2 seperate companies to have one flight each.

Along with this is the fact that the marginal cost of passengers 200-300 would be very low. After all, the two planes and two crews are already paid for, the only extra cost to Ryanair to carry one more passenger would be the very small amount of extra fuel needed and a virtually insignificant administration cost. This could actually drive Ryanair to lower their prices to increase demand such that they have 280 people wanting to fly instead. The average paid per passenger would go down, but their profits would go up. This is historically how Ryanair have always operated.

In other words, unless you actually know the entire elasticity of demand for the flights, you can't say that Ryanair woud drive up prices.

• Advertisement

Well if you reduce capacity by 50% on a route, then yes it is rational to predict a doubling in fares.
    That does not seem rational to me (aside from the fact that you seem to be implying a direct correlation between price and demand), because a new entrant will step in if the margins increase by that much. I seriously doubt it would take 12 months for a new entrant to emerge. Regardless of that, there are indirect routings which would become attractive. Aside from both of those points, it's likely that these routes would be handed directly to a competitor by the regulator if the takeover were approved. Didn't this happen with some BMI routes when they were taken over by BA?

The long and short of this is that a takeover by Ryanair is not ideal for consumers, but it's nowhere near as bad as the fear mongers are making out.

Advertisement