Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due July 2012 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

silly wrote: »
    My friend, who's a photgographer has been onto me about getting some before and after pics done!!
    Looking at doing something like this:
    What do ye think!?

They are fab, I was thinking of doing something with OH...but I hate every other part of my body other than my bump which seems to be the neatest part of me at the minute, oddly enough!
    Love that idea tho of the before and after...might rob it!
    trions wrote: »
    Kildareash: was just in Dunnes they have the long sleeved vests u were looking for, there just plain white in packs of three - i just bought short sleeved ones, do u think we will need long sleeved ones too?

I was just in my local Dunnes and they only have short sleeve:rolleyes:
    I didn't think I'd need them, but my mum keeps telling me how babies need to be kept warm blah blah blah. So I was just going to buy one pack, just incase it was cool.
    TwoMums2Be wrote: »
    I have no appetite at all these days - I'm having sausages & rashers for dinner as its the only thing that's appealing to me right now!

I can only eat small portions for the last few weeks. But I'm trying to eat every few hours to keep the heartburn at bay so it's working out ok.

My OH got one of those gym balls for me yesterday and even just sitting on it for half an hour last night, eased the ache in my lower back. May get someone to help me carry around my boobs to take the pressure off my upper back tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

Has anyone decided on bottles & sterilisers yet? A friend wants to know what steriliser we want but I'm not sure yet :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

two mums, my mam swears by avent, she used it on me and again on my little sister 17 years later, so i got that steriliser and bottles.
    my sil is using Dr. brown on baby Ollie cause he is colicky but before him she had tommie tippy and changed to avent cause they leaked easy!

first craving, marshmellows dipped in raspberry petit filous and cheese and onion frisps.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Saurelin

I'm not getting sterilizer yet and I will get no more then 2 bottles. I really want to breastfeed, so I decided if I need hubby can always go to shop and get one.

Thanks Javagal,
    I've been looking at avent...did you get the more rectangular or circular one?
    My concern is needing to change bottles & whether they will fit or not :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

Saurelin wrote: »
    I'm not getting sterilizer yet and I will get no more then 2 bottles. I really want to breastfeed, so I decided if I need hubby can always go to shop and get one.

yeah i plan the same but i got it on sale for fifty euro for the whole bottle feeding set including all bottles, warmer, steriliser etc

and i can keep steriliser up for more babies!

i.m planning about 4 but well see how labour goes!

Saurelin the plan is to try breast feed but either way I will also try express or combo feed so that my partner can be involved in feeding :) Also if a friend wants to get us one I'm not going to say no :D we will def need one at some point :)

A relative gave us an Avent gift set - microwave sterilizer, bottles, different teats, the lot.

It was probably the one we were going to get anyway.

A friend told us she tried everything with her first who had very bad reflux from Dr Browns to Tomme Tippe but still recommended the Avent.

Just had a cheeky like half hour snooze on the sofa. I'm not experiencing the same exhaustion as the first trimester, I'm just falling asleep more!

Saurelin the plan is to try breast feed but either way I will also try express or combo feed so that my partner can be involved in feeding :) Also if a friend wants to get us one I'm not going to say no :D we will def need one at some point :)

TwoMums I understand :)
    I actually want my hubby involve in feeding as well, but I think we will try after a while ;-)

I had funny situation today - actually it make my day ;-)
    We have 2 cats (brother and sister). We get them when they were 5 weeks old as their mum wasn't able to feed them any more.
    And my cat (he) always treat all fluffy blankets etc as a mum and he is looking for milk.
    So anyway I had my bathrobe today (fluffy as well) and one moment he make a move toward my bubs. It was so funny, that now whole belly hurts.
    Poor cat don't know what is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭trions

Has anyone decided on bottles & sterilisers yet? A friend wants to know what steriliser we want but I'm not sure yet :confused:

I got the Dr. Browns starter set at baby fair. hoping to breastfeed but wanted to have some on standby just in case. My sis bought all avent ones at start and ended up having to replace them all with Dr Browns as her son suffered from really bad colic. not sure on sterilisers, will prob get the dr browns one aswell to be sure the bottles fit in ok....
    Has anyone done any research on breast pumps - they all look a bit scary and confusing, manual or electric, single or double, which brand :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I have a list if things for hubbie to get once baby gets here: bottles and steriliser are in it! Also where to go to buy them... Seriously. I love him to bits but god he's bad at shopping! He doesn't want to tempt fate by having too much baby stuff: I haven't even been allowed put up my teddy bear stickers!!

Dunnes and penneys both have long sleeves vests. Also if anyone does have a guineys near them they have fab stuff in there! I mainly have long sleeve vests to be honest.

It looks like hubby going to get a promotion along with pay rise and company car and a job he really wants: so happy :) especially considering things have been a bit tight lately. Only downside is it will probably start around time baby gets here but it will be worth it!

That's great news Cyning, congrats to your hubby :)

I know im in the "sunny south east" but I have not seen long sleeve vests in either penny's or dunnes.
    Raging that I didn't go into town when we were up at the hospital last week, really wanted to go to guineys for blankets and muslin cloths. Might take a week off soon and head up mid week.

That's great news Cyning :) congrats!

In my research on sterilisers several seemed to mention a medela (?) breast pump if that's any help!

I would prob leave the steriliser myself but it's a very kind offer so I don't want to not let her get it if she wants to :) & you need to sterilise soothers etc so I will need one!
    She is already a thumb sucker & I would prefer her suck a soother if possible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Got stopped for speeding on the way to work...bawled the rest of the journey...
    on the verge of tears again...

poor you Silly.

I'm in Coombe now.
    the gtt is not so bad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

kildareash wrote: »
    My OH got one of those gym balls for me yesterday and even just sitting on it for half an hour last night, eased the ache in my lower back. May get someone to help me carry around my boobs to take the pressure off my upper back tho!

I'm seriously considering one of the gym balls too, feel like I'm far along enough for it. Surely there is a queue of men to hold up your boulders!
    My friend, who's a photgographer has been onto me about getting some before and after pics done!!
    Looking at doing something like this:
    What do ye think!?

Brilliant idea, I'm doing this. Don't know if can pay for it but might try get my husband to take decent photos.
    Ginny wrote: »
    I've been quite ill this week, thought it as a stomach bug, but now I'm worried it's just all day morning sickness?

Poor you, with all my moaning of a sore back, I'd rather that than nausea, it's absolutely awful.

We got a Nuby steriliser & 4 bottles at the baby fair for €40. I'm breastfeeding but want the stuff there for when I can express etc or for middle of the night emergencies if baby is starving. The bottles are more like boobs even than the Tommee Tippee ones. The steriliser is a steam one (I don't like the idea of the chemical one and my microwave is very small & inept) and it works very fast, like 5 minutes. To be honest I've heard strong recommendations for all the major brands of bottles. Most sterilisers will take other brand bottles so just get whatever steriliser you want and maybe 2 bottles and if the brand of bottle you get doesn't suit then at least you haven't spent a fortune on a whole set.
    And my cat (he) always treat all fluffy blankets etc as a mum and he is looking for milk.
    So anyway I had my bathrobe today (fluffy as well) and one moment he make a move toward my bubs. It was so funny, that now whole belly hurts.
    Poor cat don't know what is happening.

My cats are like this, always wanting to knead me as if they are baking a cake. I have to keep throwing them off my bump as they can get a bit vigorous!
    cyning wrote: »
    It looks like hubby going to get a promotion along with pay rise and company car and a job he really wants: so happy :) especially considering things have been a bit tight lately. Only downside is it will probably start around time baby gets here but it will be worth it!

That's brilliant news, will put your mind at rest more too. Send some job good luck our way too, we could do with it!!

Oh no, poor you.
    poor you Silly.

I'm in Coombe now.
    the gtt is not so bad

No it's not soo bad. The time actually goes quiet quickly if you keep yourself occupied. Good luck with it, i'll get my results in the morning. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

We were looking at buggies/prams yesterday in mothercare and I thought we were only going to look and then we liked one in particular and other half was like right lets buy this one. I had a complete tantrum haha. I said no we are only looking and I still want the Jane system so we came to a deal that if we can't get the Jane system 2nd hand in the next two weeks then we are getting the Mothercare Xtreme.

I was looking at all the steriliser kits and decided on the Avent too.

In regards to clothes, I visited my friend yesterday who had her baby 2 weeks ago and the Dr's told her her baby was going to be huge......her baby came out at 6lbs 13oz's. Luckily they had bought some items of NB. All the 0-3 months was put away!!! So I would definitely buy some NB just in case, enough for the first couple of days and if you need more someone can always go and get more!!!

Twomums I find this whole country completely backwards when it comes to anything. I lived the UK for a number of years and can't get over what they get and we don't get. Even if you pay for it here it's not definite that you will get it. It's a disgrace that your partner cannot be put on the guardianship and I also agree the fathers right in this country is diabolical and don't get me started on the abortion thing......I wanted to throw my dinner at the pro life campaigner on the news yesterday!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭mamaheidi

I agree with notsobusy - twomums your partner should be allowed to be legal guardian. Disgraceful.

Does anybody know how to go about getting unmarried father registered as guardian asap after the birth? I'd like to sort this out asap because I think it's just wrong that it's not automatic that my OH would be his daughter's legal guardian.

mamaheidi wrote: »
    I agree with notsobusy - twomums your partner should be allowed to be legal guardian. Disgraceful.

Does anybody know how to go about getting unmarried father registered as guardian asap after the birth? I'd like to sort this out asap because I think it's just wrong that it's not automatic that my OH would be his daughter's legal guardian.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/cohabiting_couples/legal_guardianship_and_unmarried_couples.html

It sounds way too easy, but all you have to do is sign the form in the presence of a peace commissioner or commissioner of oaths, and I think you might have to get it stamped in the District Court office or something.
    The District Court Office should be able to provide you with the names of peace commissioners or commissioner of oaths that live locally. I don't think they have a charge, but the DC will be able to tell you that. AFAIK, you just leave them a "tip" type thing.
    There is a link to the form on the CI website.

I keep thinking that there must a catch...every other form you have to fill out in this country is made so difficult, why does this sound so simple.

• Advertisement

MH that's something we have to do too!!! I'm not sure, I was vaguely looking at the birth register but must get OH to talk to his solictor about it if it needs to be done like that!

Cyning congrat for your partner!! That's great news.

Oh Silly you poor thing, big hugs!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭mamaheidi

Thanks Kildareash - I'm with you on the 'what's the catch'!? It seems way too straightforward ;)

mamaheidi wrote: »
    Thanks Kildareash - I'm with you on the 'what's the catch'!? It seems way too straightforward ;)

I wish it was straight forward to reverse it to be honest!!! My 11 yr old's father is a waste of space..but anyway, thats another thread for another day....
    I know a woman who is with her partner for over 10 years, the now have 2 kids and she has named her brother the guardian instead of her father, because she reckons her brother would be more financially stable to look after the kids..i think its ridiculas that her partner agreed to this!!!

Anyway, feeling a bit better now, hubby got onto a friend who sorted the speeding ticket...phew..

I have not looked at bottles yet, but i'm hoping i will get one at the fair at the weekend.

I guess as your partners are on the birth cert & you are compliant it should be pretty straight forward :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Anyway, feeling a bit better now, hubby got onto a friend who sorted the speeding ticket...phew..

Eh can I have this guy's number?!

OH got two from speeding cameras on the same night & same stretch of road recently. He hadn't had any for years and he does a huge amount of driving on the weekends for gigs so we thought he was doing well. 180 quid down the drain :(

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭mmmn..chicken

notsobusy wrote: »
    MH that's something we have to do too!!! I'm not sure, I was vaguely looking at the birth register but must get OH to talk to his solictor about it if it needs to be done like that!

Cyning congrat for your partner!! That's great news.

Oh Silly you poor thing, big hugs!

hi all thanks robin re:maternity had no idea i had to have it done so early ,just assumed you could do it the week b4...good job you mentioned it:)

cyning...congrats and fingers crossed for your hubbie.its lovely to hear esp when you have had to take so much time off,takes some of the pressure off anyway...fair paly to him,u must be delighted ;)sorry but i had to smile at the 80% certain girl thing,id be even more like a kid on christmas eve after hearing that..:rolleyes:

sorry silly...thats lousy, feckers...i have road rage theese days ,im not able for speeding anymore,,,baby brain wont allow fast decision making ,but i have noticed im fair cross and unaccomadating at roundabouts and right of ways lately esp if its a man who is trying to take advantage.....i gave sum1 the fingers the other day over cutting me off(havent done that since i was 12)...god be with the days when we were easy going:) just remember...your never wrong and you will be fine!!

twomums....feel a bit of a thick now(+annoyed) reading your posts
    have been living in a bit of a wedding/pregnancy bubble over the past year and a half. so havent paid the slightest bit of attention to anything else happening around me.. even just reading about all the tape ye have to go through stesses me out...god knows how ye do it!
    ireland is a joke...the rules are different for everyone and everything and no one ever gives you a straight answer ...its so frustrating. i have to admire your attitude to it all ...keep it up maybe one day the church/government will catch up with the rest of the public.

i must be having a good day a friend sent me this photo and i actually found it funny....

Mink wrote: »
    Eh can I have this guy's number?!

OH got two from speeding cameras on the same night & same stretch of road recently. He hadn't had any for years and he does a huge amount of driving on the weekends for gigs so we thought he was doing well. 180 quid down the drain :(

Its a pure balls! i was like 2 mins from work...he hopped out of nowhere, and i could barely give him my new address as i was on the verge of tears! i was in floods by the time i left!! and when i rang my hubby i was bawling!!
    he was a bit slow to get onto his friend as he sorted a ticket for him only about a month ago, but i pleaded with him to just ask anyway! was told to be careful in the area (50kmph - i was doing 73!) as they'll be there alot these days. I will have to leave home much earlier!

Mmmn Chicken don't worry about it :) you are not alone in not knowing the lack of rights gay people have in this country & indeed throughout the world!
    Many many people think it was all sorted out with civil partnerships & although it was a big step for this country it's far from perfect & a long way off equal :)
    The church can do what they like...to me every religion is bizarre in its own way but the government needs to realise its a seperate institution & what a single religion thinks has nothing to do with the law of the land :)
    Its my life so I can't let it stress me or I would be dead years ago :D
    I am me & legality won't change that - nor will it stop me living my peaceful little life with my partner, our dog & our soon to be little girl. We face what we need to together & on we go :)

Don't get me wrong I do get mad about it all at times but you can't let it drag you down :)

Good news Silly! Hopefully can be sorted! Yeah the speed camera's are everywhere nowawdays. I try to keep within the speed limit as best I can....not saying I'm perfect or anything just can't afford the fine!!!

I'm as happy now I found a Jane system about an hours drive away for under 200quid so going to look at it in the morning :D
    Feel much better about not having OH fork out 500 for a system. Going to trawl around and see if I can find any other babys stuff in that area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭mmmn..chicken

Thanks girls. I'd go to my gp but I really don't like him and it's the only surgery in the town. Im not really comfortable talking to him about things.
    I do think it'd be a good idea for me and dh to get a few hours to ourselves. Unfortunately the post woman just seems to bring me nothing but bills and with ds's communion on 5th its not looking like well get anywhere together until after then but I'm going to try and get a babysitter,even if it's just for the cinema or something

how are you feeling tinkerbell?
    i suffered from depression when i was younger and am very nervous about it returning .ive asked my hubbie and explained to midwife(woman..good listener) and doc(male...looked a bit bored as i mentioned it...but i thought feck i its his job/responsibility to be aware of this )to keep an eye out for me . i felt silly asking them
    but the one thing i remember from b4 was that i would be awake all night making plans/worrying and promising myself to do something about it but by the time moning would come round id be too tired to do anything about it all....the days were a total blur and its so easy to get bogged down by it all.
    it also took a long time to recover afterwards(10 years ago and i am still weary of it) i knew i was sick but i couldnt find a way to explain it to anyone.

the thing is to remember to ask for help..no matter how little you say(if you dont feel like talking) if your partner is aware of it and just makes you a cuppa or runs a bubble bath or leaves you for ten mins in a quiet room it will help

sorry if im nagging you .. its just such a lonely and hard thing to deal with
    i only had myself to worry about ..god knows how you manage,with all the kids and other worries.

hope you are feeling better
    hugs

Advertisement