Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NBA 2K12

Comments

NewBoss wrote: »
    Yup, I'd be very interested if we could get a league going for PS3
    caspa307 wrote: »
    and me
    I'd be interested if there's 1 going for the PS3

PSN is same as username

What are your PSN's?

Tribal_Army
    Dare_to_defy
    ?
    ?

..... Anyone else?. Think we can start with 4 anyway at any rate but another 1/2/3 would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

What are your PSN's?

Tribal_Army
    Dare_to_defy
    ?
    ?

..... Anyone else?. Think we can start with 4 anyway at any rate but another 1/2/3 would be great.

Dare_2_defy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 NewBoss

What are your PSN's?

Tribal_Army
    Dare_to_defy
    ?
    ?

ArcherTED

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

Damnit, there's a PS3 OA too?

Just bought Xbox 2k12, so I'd be up for playing in either/both.

PSN and XBL is: pov77

Paully D wrote: »
    now I can't use Derrick Rose at all, he's completely disappeared off the game. I'm guessing this is because of his injury, is there anyway to fix this? Surely he should be available to use on the game?

You should be able to edit rosters from the game's main menu - but if Derrick doesn't show up there you might be able to track down the 2k12 settings files (if it's like it is on PS3 there'll be a separate rosters file) - delete that, begin the game without the Xbox going online until after the game has reached the main menu and you should have the rosters from the start of the season.

Be warned, there might be a Bogans where you're expecting Rip Hamilton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

raze wrote: »

Nice one mate, will you be joining the Xbox online association? I've just added you anyway. The fantasy draft is next Wednesday the 6th of June at 10:15pm. If you want to join, which team do you want? Bulls, OKC, Celtics, T-Wolves, Knicks and Lakers are gone.

Thanks for the advice on the rosters. He's on the roster alright, but when I choose the Bulls in a quick game he has disappered. It's very annoying trying to get proper rosters. I've no idea why they've removed the injured players on the update. It's a video game FFS so you should be able to use any player regardless of their status in real life.

Nice one mate, will you be joining the Xbox online association? I've just added you anyway. The fantasy draft is next Wednesday the 6th of June at 10:15pm. If you want to join, which team do you want? Bulls, OKC, Celtics, T-Wolves, Knicks and Lakers are gone.

Thanks for the advice on the rosters. He's on the roster alright, but when I choose the Bulls in a quick game he has disappered. It's very annoying trying to get proper rosters. I've no idea why they've removed the injured players on the update. It's a video game FFS so you should be able to use any player regardless of their status in real life.

Yeah, I'll be on the Xbox one.

Look on the bright side of the rosters - if you were playing during the breakthrough of Jeremy Lin it was quite nice to see Bibby drop off the Knicks rotation, and for Lin to be there and get a bit of a stats bump in the process.

I'll come back to you on the team - if you're drafting from scratch, it seems like the only difference is the kits. But if you're going to end up with the playbook of the real life coach of the team that would make a major difference. Need to check that out. Will let you know by tomorrow.

EDIT: You can set your own plays - so teams are just cosmetic. I'd take any from the Nets, Warriors or Bucks. (Can't believe the T-Wolves went before the Heat.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

What are your PSN's?

Tribal_Army
    Dare_to_defy
    ?
    ?

caspa307 ;)

Yeah, I'll be on the Xbox one.

Look on the bright side of the rosters - if you were playing during the breakthrough of Jeremy Lin it was quite nice to see Bibby drop off the Knicks rotation, and for Lin to be there and get a bit of a stats bump in the process.

I'll come back to you on the team - if you're drafting from scratch, it seems like the only difference is the kits. But if you're going to end up with the playbook of the real life coach of the team that would make a major difference. Need to check that out. Will let you know by tomorrow.

EDIT: You can set your own plays - so teams are just cosmetic. I'd take any from the Nets, Warriors or Bucks. (Can't believe the T-Wolves went before the Heat.)

Yeah true mate, I guess I shouldn't really complain too much as I've just discovered that the injuries are only for quick game and he's available in association mode which is good. Just frustrating that there's no option to turn real life injuries on/off for quick games.

Yeah it's a fantasy draft so teams are really just being picked by preference of team/court/jerseys etc. All 3 of those teams are available so let me know who you want :)

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Browning2010

Will next Wednesday be the only time when you can join the association thing?, I'm not familiar with it at all so sorry if that's a stupid question, I havent played a Nba game since 07 but this thread has reignited my interest.

• Advertisement

Will next Wednesday be the only time when you can join the association thing?, I'm not familiar with it at all so sorry if that's a stupid question, I havent played a Nba game since 07 but this thread has reignited my interest.

No not at all mate. We're having a fantasy draft on Wednesday night, an example of a fantasy draft is this video below:

If you can join before Wednesday and take part in the draft then that's all the better, but if not you can have a look through the rosters of the teams still available when you can join and choose one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,035 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I haven't put as much time into 2k12 as previous NBA games, really don't like what they've done with online in recent years, maybe it's just because I haven't played as much but despite this little things like not being able to edit online rosters and the fact that they no longer have basic quick plays like pick and rolls and screens easily available. This will hopefully re-ignite my interest.

(Can't believe the T-Wolves went before the Heat.)
    because they have the coolest name/logo/jersey :) OKC are probably my favourite team though, used to be the Sonics/Phoenix but with the potential golden team of Nash, Johnson, Marion and Amare getting broken up bit by bit my liking of the Suns waned and with the rise of OKC my interest in them rose...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

I was thinking there Paully D, that when we do the draft afterward, maybe you should create a new thread just for the Online Association. Then we can arrange games, talk about games we played and general banter etc. It might lead to more people joining the league, because since this thread is just called NBA 2K12, people might not be aware we are starting and online association.
    Just a thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,035 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

buyer95 wrote: »
    I was thinking there Paully D, that when we do the draft afterward, maybe you should create a new thread just for the Online Association. Then we can arrange games, talk about games we played and general banter etc. It might lead to more people joining the league, because since this thread is just called NBA 2K12, people might not be aware we are starting and online association.
    Just a thought...

Actually yeah the thread title should be edited at the very least, I'll pm one of the mods and hopefully we can get a couple more people in.

EDIT: I PMed Mr. E there to ask him to mention the fact there are signups in the thread title so hopefully that will be sorted soon enough.

buyer95 wrote: »
    Just a thought...

Good idea Buyer. I'm setting the league up tonight (in the next hour probably) so I'll create a new thread with the details etc and we can use that as the thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,445 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just got Liam's PM. I'd say start a new thread, lads. Your league might get a bit lost here.

If you think this thread should be locked, let me know.

Mr E wrote: »
    Just got Liam's PM. I'd say start a new thread, lads. Your league might get a bit lost here.

If you think this thread should be locked, let me know.

Thanks Mr E, I'll start a new thread within the next hour once I have the league set up.

I don't think you should lock this one yet though. There's a few people trying to get a PS3 version of a league going so this thread will be handy for them to discuss everything until they get up and running.

Dare_2_defy :)

I'm Tribal_Army and had yourself down too. The two question marks were for the other two lads. :D
    NewBoss wrote: »
    ArcherTED

So do you want to play both?.... If you played the game a lot I'm sure it wouldn't be too much hassle, there will only be a couple of user teams(unlike the FIFA league where you have to play around 10-12 real players)

caspa307 wrote: »
    caspa307 ;)

Tribal_Army
    Caspa307
    ArcherTed
    Dare_2_defy

And maybe the second poster who replied yesterday and pov77. I was also trying to get my little(well he's 22 :D) cousin to play as he got the game when I did and we played matches a fair bit(albeit months ago, Im only back playing after nearly 6 months of down time) but he didn't seem keen earlier.

Will hold off for another day or two and then we can go about sorting the draft date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Carroller

Just got this game today!

If anyone's looking for a boost in confidence ad a game on Xbox my gamer tag is penguins haooo

I'm rubbish at it so far :)

Carroller wrote: »
    Just got this game today!

If anyone's looking for a boost in confidence ad a game on Xbox my gamer tag is penguins haooo

I'm rubbish at it so far :)

Wanna join our league mate? Only got the game yesterday myself, I'm awful too, so you won't be the only rookie in it.

Have a look here and see what you think:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056657210

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Carroller

I read that but as more a fan of the game than the actual sport I don't really understand the drafts and picks, or does this make a difference?

If not then I'll happily join :)

Carroller wrote: »
    I read that but as more a fan of the game than the actual sport I don't really understand the drafts and picks, or does this make a difference?

If not then I'll happily join :)

Not much to understand - all the real players are pooled, and no team has players to start with. Each of the thirty NBA teams gets a position from 1 to 30 and take turns to choose one player from the pool each round of selections. It reverses each time, so if you're team number 30 you get the last pick of the first round, and the first of the second round - but then you have to wait for 58 other picks to be made before it's your turn again.

For the human controlled teams players need to keep an eye out for what players are available that they want, but also think about which areas are strong or weak on their team - everybody wants a great point guard, but if you have more of them than will play in a game your team will be weak in other areas.

The computer controlled teams will also be involved in the picking, so it's a lucky dip as inevitably some superstar players will end up on an AI team.

There's a bit of finance to consider as your team will have a wage budget, so no one can be completely dominant picking all the best players. And finally there are free agents/free transfers where teams who have room in their squads can approach players who haven't already been drafted.

I think most are on the same level - I certainly haven't tried this game mode before. So if everyone going to be on at the same time we could muddle through it while on xbox party chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Any finalisation on this lads?

Has the association been set up

Felexicon wrote: »
    Any finalisation on this lads?

Has the association been set up

Yep, on Xbox 360:

Draft is Wednesday night at 10:15pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Yep, on Xbox 360:

Draft is Wednesday night at 10:15pm.

Cheers man. Wasn't following that thread for some reason. I'll sign up tonight can't wait.
    Beers after the finals to congratulate winner?

Just bumping this to try re-gauge interest in a PS3 league.

I made a separate thread to attract more attention but a mod went and moved both that thread on the Xbox one.

With the Xbos league under way it's off no disadvantage to them having to use the Xbox forum. Whereas leaving the thread in the PS3 section means the chances of even getting one player are slim to none(the console forums contain no cross platform game chat anymore)

So thought I'd bump this again as it seems a better avenue then my thread in the PS3 section.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Hey lads, good luck with yer league, sounds class!

I traded this ages ago to get a different game but wish I didn't now. I only played My Player but just remember being pissed off after every game as the AI was so frustrating, missed layups, running out of bounds, etc. Can anyone tell me if any patches were released to improve AI? Watching Chris Smoove vids always makes me want to play this so thinking of getting it again.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if any patches were released to improve AI?

AI is completely different now. At launch whatever happened your team would always defend with ridiculous help defence, 4 players would move out of position to challenge shots and the CPU would rain three point shots on you all day.

Now, providing you don't mess around too much with defensive settings, the game plays like actual basketball. Though sometimes calling quick defensive plays breaks with your intended strategy, it's something you can easily avoid.

Also, there's a slider in the options for defensive assistance, and if you put that up a little bit then it helps - so while the default settings you still can't move like a professional athlete, with a single change you're suddenly in complete control of your player on defence.

It's a massive improvement over what it was like at launch, so much so I'm put off getting 2k13 when it comes out until after the inevitable patch or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ah shiite, now i really wanna pick it up again. I looked back at my earlier posts and my exact words were 'f#ck this f#cking game' so I think the thought of it is better than playing it tho. Will keep a lookout in town to see if its going cheap anywhere

• Advertisement

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Ah shiite, now i really wanna pick it up again. I looked back at my earlier posts and my exact words were 'f#ck this f#cking game' so I think the thought of it is better than playing it tho. Will keep a lookout in town to see if its going cheap anywhere

The grass is always greener. The game has any number of issues - if you get it to play online then expect every single game to be against the Thunder or the Heat - and it gets boring quickly when all that happens is stupid dunks over and over again. Netcode is acceptable, but finding games is a lucky dip - the game has no issues throwing you up against someone on the west coast of america, and doesn't give you a way to measure crazy lag. Combine overrated players and laggy games, and you have very little choice but to play the same way as your opponent because 1. you can't defend what they're going to do, there is no reaction time because of connection quality, and their moves are borderline unstoppable anyway, 2. the only other option is not to play online.

Also, despite providing a very complete way to learn the game with multiple practice modes, it really is trial and error to find out what works, what doesn't, and it's different from one team to the next. If you had a year to play it you could still find new stuff to try and master. Which is great - but as far as pick up and play? Nope, it's not fun if you don't have the time.

Finally, I've tried playing local multiplayer - and this isn't 2k12's fault, but there's no way that people are going to have fun if you have to explain the rules of basketball to them after a few cans. Backcourt violations, 24 second shot clocks, 5 second inbound timers, blocking fouls, shot stick timing, play calling. The game plays best 1 on 1, but with friends after the beers are in there's no way this is going on instead of FIFA, sadly.

Also it's still around €35 in shops if you can even find it. Neither particularly expensive nor particularly cheap.

I've never played MyPlayer mode though, so can't really say whether it'd be worth it for that.

Advertisement