Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway Hooker in bottles

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Goining to be shipped to most people by the end of next week.

A Big well done to Ronan in Hooker brewerys he is battling injury yet still fighting on.

Battling injury?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,148 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Tentatively waiting. It's only in the fridge about 40minutes. :(

Sitting down with my first bottle, in fact, it's my first ever taste of Galway Hooker. I'm impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Sitting down with my first bottle, in fact, it's my first ever taste of Galway Hooker. I'm impressed.

Bodacious :)

I've only had it on draught - looking forward to tasting the bottle!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Battling injury?:confused:

Yes he told me today he pulled a disc in his back.
    But he is still battling on :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

What input did the Salt House have in this project?

I'm coming home for 2 weeks in August. Can't wait to try it from a bottle.

How does it compare to draught? And how much is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Not that its a major factor but how much are the bottles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Drinkstore have it advertised as €2.90 for a 500ml bottle

• Registered Users Posts: 26,148 ✭✭✭✭Berty

kraggy wrote: »
    What input did the Salt House have in this project?

Label design. I was directed it you look closely at the actual branding on the cermamic bar font that the Galway colours are actually there anyway so just a little more pronounced on the bottle. Apparently the original colours did not work on the bottle. The boat/sails are different as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭donaghs

Any shops in Dublin selling it yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Thanks. From previous discussions about DrinkStore.ie deliveries, I had the impression it was a delivery service. I can see from Googling it now its also a shop in Stoneybatter.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Yes he told me today he pulled a disc in his back.
    But he is still battling on :o
    Did you manage to get any in stock? Have never been to your store, despite working nearby (though living quite far away) but would certainly make the trip for a chance re-union with a hooker (low hanging fruit :)).

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

I was too early for my delivery this week so hopefully I can have it in very soon : )

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I look forward to seeing this hits the shops in Donegal around 2021. :|

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

kraggy wrote: »
    How does it compare to draught?
    Drinking it now. I'd say it's almost indistinguishable from draught, though obviously I'd never make such a claim without a blind tasting :)

It's really good, though, and great to be able to have it at my own preferred serving temperature instead of the pub's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

What's the price per bottle ?

BeerNut wrote: »
    Drinking it now. I'd say it's almost indistinguishable from draught, though obviously I'd never make such a claim without a blind tasting :)

It's really good, though, and great to be able to have it at my own preferred serving temperature instead of the pub's.

There's a new product being launched on the market shortly that will allow changing the temp of each line. The purpose is to accomodate the 'ice cold' beers and negate the need for additional under counter coolers. However it will also allow for draught to be served at warmer temps as well as cooler.

Picked up mine earlier in Drinkstore and Ken was saying that they're all out already. Glad I ordered mine the other night now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

I stocked up in the Blue Note, Galway, yesterday where it's 4 bottles for €10.

As BeerNut stated, it's really similar to the draught version. A very nice, easy-drinking beer.

I had some over the weekend and thought it was beautiful. I actually thought it was much nicer than draught. Maybe it was the temperature or that the carbonation was a bit little lighter but to my tastebuds it certainly seemed to taste different. There's a lovely citrus taste to it then I've never detected on draught.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭toffeeshel

Mc hughs on the kilbarrack rd have it. Happy [hoppy] days:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

toffeeshel wrote: »
    Mc hughs on the kilbarrack rd have it. Happy [hoppy] days:)

:)

+ Deveneys Dundrum and Hollands of Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

County Bar Lucan at 2.79 a btl.
    picked up 6 of them today.

Got some bottles in Whelans offy, Wexford St, Dublin. Nice enough, but seem to remember it being more exciting when I had it on draught (over a year ago).

Nice addition to beers available, but I think I'd go for a Carlow O'Haras IPA over this. Less bland, hoppier?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Great in the bottle but you can't beat the taste explosion of it on draught.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

I hope this is the right place to post - though this might be helpful - I'm loving the Galway Hooker at the moment.

+1 on Deveneys Dundrum stocking it (but it's on the shelf so warm). I think it was €2.90 ish a bottle. Guy said they have not been stocking it for long and it is selling OK.

Redmonds in Ranelagh also do it, cold, for €3 a bottle I think it was.

It is amazing on draft (Peter's Pub - €5.20 a pint - not sure where else does it in Dublin) and nice from a bottle but there really is a considerable difference in draft vs bottle.

• Advertisement

steamsey wrote: »
    It is amazing on draft (Peter's Pub - €5.20 a pint - not sure where else does it in Dublin)
    €4.50 in the Palace Bar. Just sayin... ;)

Advertisement