Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

RedNiamhy wrote: »
    If find if I have too much time to think it's bad. Pondering that "What ifs". "meaning of life", "why are we here?"s just isn't good. I can do it for a short time but then I get pulled in to the vicious circle. It can be scary.

I also have days where I feel like a good cry, for no particular reason at all most of the time. And when I am tired is when I feel like this the most. :(

Sounds just like me. It's strange hearing others feel exactly as i do. Sometimes it feels like i'm the only person that feels that way. But there's lots of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Shazanne wrote: »
    I did not mean to offend or undermine you in any way and your information is very valuable. However, I personally feel that this threat should be simply for friendship and support. I realise I may have prompted some of your replies by question I asked about Seroxat, so I am just as responsible for going off on a tangent. I was really interested in what you had to say and would love to engage more with you on your expertise, but perhaps on another thread? And thank you for the time you spent with your replies - you are very clearly a caring person.

i'm not remotely offended or undermined
    i ususally stay out of threads liek these, except to moderate them, but when i see misinformation i feel it is my duty to correct it, thats all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

A mental health forum would be great!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

betafrog wrote: »
    Good to see another UCDian on here..

I know what you mean about the road to recovery being hard.. When I first started I felt great relief and a certain excitement about finally doing something about it but it quickly disappeared so I'm hoping things pick up again soon.

Having a bed day today. Woke up this morning and just couldn't get out of bed. Having so many of them lately it's annoying me more and causing me to think about it more. The more you think you about it the worse it becomes. Stupid circles!

This might aswell have been written by me :p I go to counselling every week and come out of each session with great motivation, but it's always gone again after a day or 2. It's extremely frustrating.

I've had more bed days than college days this semester. On one hand I can barely muster up the energy to care about how far I've fallen behind, and at other times I nearly have panic attacks thinking about it. I'm disappointed and annoyed with myself that I can't manage to get up and end up feeling worse.

Ok day here, bit tired from meds but OK!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭alias141282

Hotaru wrote: »
    I've been diagnosed with severe depression and after months of counselling I've decided to start taking anti-depressants. Just started last week so fingers crossed for some improvement in the coming weeks. I was anorexic a few years ago, recovered and have since developed bulimia. Bulimia and depression have taken over my entire life and I often feel like I've lost everything in the last year. I frequently self-harmed in the past but I rarely do it anymore. However the scars are still there, you don't realise they'll last for years when you're doing it, and people are always staring/asking me about them.

Basically I'm on the road to recovery but it's damn hard!

All I can say is fair play to you for staying going through all that. You're a real hero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭alias141282

RedNiamhy wrote: »
    If find if I have too much time to think it's bad. Pondering that "What ifs". "meaning of life", "why are we here?"s just isn't good. I can do it for a short time but then I get pulled in to the vicious circle. It can be scary.

I also have days where I feel like a good cry, for no particular reason at all most of the time. And when I am tired is when I feel like this the most. :(

Its amazing how similar people feel and think when they're depressed. The 'what if' thoughts follow me everywhere. Its like I live with permanent regret, as if my life is already all over and I've ruined everything. It makes no rational sense and yet I can't stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

I know what you mean about the road to recovery being hard.. When I first started I felt great relief and a certain excitement about finally doing something about it but it quickly disappeared so I'm hoping things pick up again soon.

Having a bed day today. Woke up this morning and just couldn't get out of bed. Having so many of them lately it's annoying me more and causing me to think about it more. The more you think you about it the worse it becomes. Stupid circles!
    Same here. Last week I was full of energy, new leaf etc and this week I have spent most of it in bed, going over every decision and action I have taken in the last week and how 99% of it is probably my fault and that lying in bed is just making it worse, but if I go out of the house I'll just do stupid things or say something stupid and will feel worse.

Can't seem to breathe this week without feeling like I've done it wrong :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20 golucky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I read some of the posts on this. Laugh because I know I'm not the only one feeling this way, or cry because others are too. I have felt the very same as most of these people for years - full of energy and motivation and praying I stay that way, and then all of a sudden hitting rock bottom for no reason. I just never know how I'm going to be from day to day or from week to week and that makes me worry about how I'll handle things that are coming up in my life - even ordinary things like work. It just goes on and on.

• Advertisement

golucky wrote: »

I dont know if you have faith in prayer but I will be praying for you every day. Please go back to your doctor and get some help. And please believe that people DO care - they just sometimes don't have a clue how to show it. Take care. XXX

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi,

Ive struggled with this issue for a long time, and only now that im being forced to face up to it am i taking action. I have an anxiety problem, ill feel anxious and nervous for no reason even just sitting at home. During stressful situations this will greatly intensify, and leave me feeling breathless. Due to the nature of my job which I have just started, I have to do quite a lot of public speaking. This terrifies me, really terrifies me and ive been avoiding it as much as possible so far. On one occassion when i had to do it recently, my voice started shaking uncontrollably and i sounded like i was having a breakdown id say. This always happens me when i have to speak in front of a crowd, my voice breaks and becomes really shaky. Its really noticable, and has been mentioned to me before.
    Im going to the GP tomorrow to see if theres anything he can prescribe to help this, as its becoming unbearable. I think i need a prescription for Valium or the likes of to reduce the anxiety. How likely is the GP to prescribe medication in your opinion, judging by what I have posted.?
    thanks for reading.

i know this is a bit old and you have probably gone to your gp by now but when i had to do presentations, i would get really nervous ans shaky etc, I went to my gp and told her my story. She prescribed me Inderel tablets to stop the physical symptoms during the presentations. They worked great - just take one or two an hour before presentation. I hope you got help OP.

So need to go to the hairdresser. Hate 1 to 1 interaction though. It's little things like that, that should be so simple that just arent. The thought of learning to drive is freaking me out!

Can't motivate myself to do anything today:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

phi3 wrote: »
    So need to go to the hairdresser. Hate 1 to 1 interaction though. It's little things like that, that should be so simple that just arent. The thought of learning to drive is freaking me out!

Going to the hairdressers actually makes me really anxious. I can feel it in my chest, it's hard to describe but it makes breathing feel weird and then I start talking really quickly. Takes me so long to build up the courage to get a hair cut!

Off Zispin as of today and on Lexapro. Also got Zimovane for sleep. So we'll see how this works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Have you had Lexapro before?

I did not enjoy the first 2 weeks on it...

Nope, this is my first time on Lexapro. I've been on a few others and I tend to be hit pretty hard in the first while as well. I hear nausea is the problem with Lexapro? My doctor just told me to make sure I take it with food. Gotta give it a try anyway!

phi3 wrote: »

Can I suggest that you go to the hairdressers but say to whoever is looking after you there that you are not feeling too good (no need to say in what way) and that you're not up to talking much. I have done that in the past and usually the hairdresser is actually quite relieved not to have to make small talk! If you do this a few times you will take the pressure off yourself and it wont be such an ordeal inside your head. Dont force yourself to do anything you really dont want to do though, its a terrible feeling to be totally out of your comfort zone. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Welcome to my world, a real uphill battle. Best thing I have found to help me manage is exercise, I run over an hour a day, even now at 8 mths pregnant, well not run, more shuffle! No tablets for years, very hard to explain to people though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

zimovain wrote: »
    Can't motivate myself to do anything today:mad:
    Know how ya feel. Been like this a few months now. Bout time I got one of my up times.

Shazanne wrote: »
    Can I suggest that you go to the hairdressers but say to whoever is looking after you there that you are not feeling too good (no need to say in what way) and that you're not up to talking much. I have done that in the past and usually the hairdresser is actually quite relieved not to have to make small talk! If you do this a few times you will take the pressure off yourself and it wont be such an ordeal inside your head. Dont force yourself to do anything you really dont want to do though, its a terrible feeling to be totally out of your comfort zone. Best of luck.

I really couldn't do that. It's a good idea though. Mite help some others on here. But for me i'm not at a stage where i could do that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Then don't. Cos when you can't you just can't. For me sometimes getting out of bed and showering was a huge acheivement. It's about small, manageable tasks. Fingers crossed things begin to look up.

Then don't. Cos when you can't you just can't. For me sometimes getting out of bed and showering was a huge acheivement. It's about small, manageable tasks. Fingers crossed things begin to look up.

Sometimes I can do things if i push myself. And sometimes afterwards i'm glad i did when it all goes smoothly and i'm dead proud of myself. But sometimes go wrong and i can't stop thinking of what a fool i made of myself for days

I hate making phone calls or having to answer calls.. :(

Same! Get really uncomfortable and nervy.

I hate making phone calls or having to answer calls.. :(

Ditto. It's the worst. Inexplicably horrible!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

250 people died on our road last year and they spent €50 million on road safety efc

over 500 people commited suicide last year because of some sort of mental illness and they gave €500,000 wtf :mad: is not acceptable , while 1 billion leaves this country every year for foreign medical aid

WE NEED TO STAND UP AND BE COUNTED MORE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

250 people died on our road last year and they spent €50 million on road safety efc

over 500 people commited suicide last year because of some sort of mental illness and they gave €500,000 wtf :mad: is not acceptable , while 1 billion leaves this country every year for foreign medical aid

Totally agree with you. I suffer from anxiety and depression. But there is still such a stigma about mental illness that lots of us are unfortunately reluctant to speak up. God, some days I can't even buy a carton of milk, let alone anything else!

You are so right! And if there was a call for us to stand up I bet you'd be amazed at the number who would! Plus, it might help bring the whole issue out into the open more - it's still taboo for many people.

Been feeling really depressed today. Sittin here at work wishing i could just go home to bed and cry alone. And it looks like I'm gonna have to go out tonight.
    Anyway, I was just thinking earlier that's it's strange to suffer from anxiety and depression. When I'm anxious thoughts are racing through me head and i can't calm down or relax but when I'm depressed i just feel like doing nothing and it seems such an effort to even stand up. I don't have energy for thoughts let alone racing ones! So ya i was just thinking how opposite they are. Strange.

Awful anxiety and low mood these last few days:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey guys, I was prescribed prozac and xanax together recently, and am curious as to whether or not it is safe to take them together, even tough the doctor prescribed them. can anyone point me to online resources? thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement