Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Harmonix to discontinue Rock Band DLC at the end of April

• 18-02-2013 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭

http://www.rockband.com/blog/rock-band-announcement-new-dlcreleases-ending-in-april

So Rock Band DLC will finally be coming to an end come April. I think it's fair enough tbh, they've kept it going long after most companies would support a game post-release and there's now a library of over 4000 tracks which is more than anyone could ask for tbh. Fair play to Harmonix for the continued support over the years and I look forward to see what comes from them in the future.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Probably the most honest game company out there, fair play to them. I wish them every bit of success in the future!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Just saw this, final nail in the coffin of this genre to be honest.

There are newer titles like rocksmith but etc, but they do little to keep the genre alive imo and are even more niche than GH or RB are.

The may resurrect it on the next gen consoles but to be honest who really is willing to invest in new instruments and pay for license transfers etc. for a make over and little else.

Props to Harmonix they are the best in the business.

.... did anyone say firesale http://www.rockband.com/content-assets/2012/09/RBDLCsaleGraphic.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

calex71 wrote: »
    Just saw this, final nail in the coffin of this genre to be honest.

There are newer titles like rocksmith but etc, but they do little to keep the genre alive imo and are even more niche than GH or RB are.

The may resurrect it on the next gen consoles but to be honest who really is willing to invest in new instruments and pay for license transfers etc. for a make over and little else.

Props to Harmonix they are the best in the business.

Agreed, Harmonix have said themselves that they have no new Rock Band titles in development and they were the last folks left supporting the genre (and subsequently the same people who started it provided you don't count the Japanese arcade game Guitar Freaks).

As much as I love the genre, it had it's time and there was only so far you could take it but thanks to Harmonix there will always be a huge library of songs to play (there's not much "new" music I'd be interested in playing anyway) when there's a few folks around for some drinks and RB fun. Maybe they will come up with the next big music game phenomenon!

I think these are the same tracks that went on sale back in September but it seems they will remain that way for the foreseeable future.

Advertisement