Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leaving Cert Irish Exemption due to Mental Illness

Options
  • 30-09-2014 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,

I'm a seventeen year old Irish born student currently attending a private "grinds" school in the city. I have experienced near daily night terrors (extremely rare in adults) and recurring insomnia for almost a year now, which I kind of brushed off to be honest. However, once I started falling asleep in classes constantly and my grades severely dropped, I was referred to the guidance counsellor, then my GP and then a therapist. Long story short, these are symptoms of my diagnosis of chronic anxiety.
    This is all an extremely roundabout way of asking if there is any chance I could put a spin on a mental illness to get an Irish exemption, with good reason- I was given a whole bunch of rituals to help me sleep (I average 2 hours a night), reduce attacks etc., and was told I need to remove some of the stress in my life- it was actually suggested to me I drop out and restart the year next year, but **** that I'm ready to push through and graduate on time. It sounds dramatic, but one ****ing subject is kind of screwing with my life.
    Neither of my doctors know much about the process, but since Irish is my biggest source of worry, I've been told to consider asking to drop it. I can't take it at ordinary level without compromising my future- I'm already taking Ordinary maths and REALLY amn't up to HL in either subject. I'm not a slacker, I work my arse off at Irish but nothing seems to stick in my head. It's dragging down my overall grades and having a negative effect on my life. As my school is a private school (which only stays in business as long as students get the best grades), and I read exemption applications are dealt with by the school, would it be worth applying? Also, I posted this elsewhere and was told anxiety isn't a real illness and received a whole bunch of lovely comments, so if that's all you have to say, don't bother. I kind of need some real help. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Honestly, do I think you have a chance? No.

Exemptions are given for students with learning difficulties, such as dyslexia, who have a problem with languages etc. Not for other issues like you are describing.

The school does not have the right to give you an exemption, they may apply to the Dept of Education on your behalf perhaps but the school is not the one to grant it.

If you are finding Irish tough going, drop to Ordinary Level if you have not done so already. Getting an exemption won't make a difference to you points wise because if you got an exemption you wouldn't be counting it for points as you wouldn't have a grade in it, so I don't see why you say you can't drop to Ordinary Level. If you pass it with a D3 at Ordinary Level you will meet university entry requirements for pretty much everything (except courses which require Irish, which is not what you will be applying for).

Also Trinity, UL and all of the ITs do not require Irish as an entry requirement. UL, for example require English, Math, and then either Irish or a foreign language.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 awhellcastiel

Thanks for your honesty. Fair enough, I understand I can't expect an exemption. If I were to take up another subject and just let Irish fall by the wayside, would I need to pass it in order to pass the Leaving Cert? Unfortunately I can't let an Ordinary D3 be counted amongst my points or I won't get into the courses I'm looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Thanks for your honesty. Fair enough, I understand I can't expect an exemption. If I were to take up another subject and just let Irish fall by the wayside, would I need to pass it in order to pass the Leaving Cert? Unfortunately I can't let an Ordinary D3 be counted amongst my points or I won't get into the courses I'm looking at.

The concept of 'passing or failing the Leaving Cert' doesn't really exist anymore. People have done the Leaving or they haven't. It's all about college requirements these days. If it is causing you that much stress, and you can't hack HL, drop to OL just aim to pass it for requirements. Most college courses state a pass in English, Irish and Maths so a D3 should be enough. If you are already doing HL, you should have no problems with OL, so you won't have the workload you currently have which will probably help relieve your stress and if you can find a subject to take up at HL, that won't cause you stress and perhaps will complement subjects you are already taking then that might be the wiser option.

E.g. Applied maths complements Maths/Physics
    Ag Science is a good pairing with Biology.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

I think you might be mistakenly assuming that Irish, as a core subject, has to be counted in your points? It doesn't, so drop to OL and get a D3 and you'll have no major disadvantages other than having to maybe attend classes for a subject you won't count.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 awhellcastiel

Yeah, I think that sounds like a plan. I'll take up Ag Science or something and only work at Irish enough to secure a pass :) I don't like playing the mental illness card if I can at all avoid it anyway- I've no interest in being a delicate little flower who demands special treatment.
    Thanks again the both of you, that's really a huge weight off my shoulders!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 queenofsheebah

you can apply for an exemption through NUI and get a psychologist to sign off there's a PDF of the application and psychologist form on the NUI website. I got my exemptions for dyslexia, but you don't have to have a learning disability to become exempt from a subject - especially a subject as irrelevant as Irish..

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭EnmxLP

Hi,

I'm a seventeen year old Irish born student currently attending a private "grinds" school in the city. I have experienced near daily night terrors (extremely rare in adults) and recurring insomnia for almost a year now, which I kind of brushed off to be honest. However, once I started falling asleep in classes constantly and my grades severely dropped, I was referred to the guidance counsellor, then my GP and then a therapist. Long story short, these are symptoms of my diagnosis of chronic anxiety.
    This is all an extremely roundabout way of asking if there is any chance I could put a spin on a mental illness to get an Irish exemption, with good reason- I was given a whole bunch of rituals to help me sleep (I average 2 hours a night), reduce attacks etc., and was told I need to remove some of the stress in my life- it was actually suggested to me I drop out and restart the year next year, but **** that I'm ready to push through and graduate on time. It sounds dramatic, but one ****ing subject is kind of screwing with my life.
    Neither of my doctors know much about the process, but since Irish is my biggest source of worry, I've been told to consider asking to drop it. I can't take it at ordinary level without compromising my future- I'm already taking Ordinary maths and REALLY amn't up to HL in either subject. I'm not a slacker, I work my arse off at Irish but nothing seems to stick in my head. It's dragging down my overall grades and having a negative effect on my life. As my school is a private school (which only stays in business as long as students get the best grades), and I read exemption applications are dealt with by the school, would it be worth applying? Also, I posted this elsewhere and was told anxiety isn't a real illness and received a whole bunch of lovely comments, so if that's all you have to say, don't bother. I kind of need some real help. Thanks :)

See if you can apply for the DARE scheme, you can get up to 60 points for an illness or a learning difficulty, if youre qualified for it drop to ordinary irish and see how you fare out.

Advertisement