Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Weakness of Human Judgement' Othello Essay Help! Please for the love of God!!

• 15-09-2014 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hello! I have a really annoying problem with my English essay and I was wondering is there anyone I can send my essay to correct it to the standard of the level needed for leaving cert or help me in anyway. I really need the help so please share this to anyone possible!

I have rewrote a previous essay (with pretty much all the same wording as it was before, where I had gotten 80%), along with new notes and sample answers I have gotten from my teacher. I had added new quotes as my teacher previously said I needed more so I added more!

Today I get the rewritten essay and managed to get 50% ?? Now I'm not being cocky in any way but I've never gotten so low in English, so I went up to her after class to ask what went wrong. She then proceeded to say I got 9 out of 18 for language use. I asked her ever so politely what language I would need to use or what language ideas could I improve on and she then went off ranting about my quotes. I literally had to do this for every idea of my essay and she could not give me a reason for the loss in 30% of a mark other than 'you could have used a better quote than ''honest Iago'' '

As the essay is called 'Shakespeare's play 'Othello' demonstrates the weakness of ''Human Judgement''...' of course I had to explain where the weakness of human judgement occurd, but she then said I couldn't do that and that it was too off point. At this point I was biting my tongue as hard as I could. And then to top it all off she gave out to me for including characters other than Othello in the essay. She believed the essay title was only about Othello and that it was 'stupid' to bring in Desdemona's, Iago's, Brabantio's and Cassio's weakness of human judgement.

Annnnddd thennn she told me she was 'knocking me down, to build me up'. At this point I was so pissed off I couldn't handle anymore so I asked her how is that going to help me in an exam. I wanted to know what I would get on the day if I wrote this; no feckin' examiner is gunna want to knock me down to build me up, their gunna give me the marks exactly as I got them like! :L

I am beyond annoyed at this cause she hasn't explained to me either what I'm doing right for this essay, or what I'm doing wrong. If someone can explain this to me il full on happily take the 50% cause that's what I deserved, obviously. But when a teacher can't justify her mark I cannot understand what the hell she is on about.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME ANYONE DEAR GAWWDD.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

:)
    ciarakks wrote: »
    Hello! I have a really annoying problem with my English essay and I was wondering is there anyone I can send my essay to correct it to the standard of the level needed for leaving cert or help me in anyway. I really need the help so please share this to anyone possible!

I have rewrote a previous essay (with pretty much all the same wording as it was before, where I had gotten 80%), along with new notes and sample answers I have gotten from my teacher. I had added new quotes as my teacher previously said I needed more so I added more!

Today I get the rewritten essay and managed to get 50% ?? Now I'm not being cocky in any way but I've never gotten so low in English, so I went up to her after class to ask what went wrong. She then proceeded to say I got 9 out of 18 for language use. I asked her ever so politely what language I would need to use or what language ideas could I improve on and she then went off ranting about my quotes. I literally had to do this for every idea of my essay and she could not give me a reason for the loss in 30% of a mark other than 'you could have used a better quote than ''honest Iago'' '

As the essay is called 'Shakespeare's play 'Othello' demonstrates the weakness of ''Human Judgement''...' of course I had to explain where the weakness of human judgement occurd, but she then said I couldn't do that and that it was too off point. At this point I was biting my tongue as hard as I could. And then to top it all off she gave out to me for including characters other than Othello in the essay. She believed the essay title was only about Othello and that it was 'stupid' to bring in Desdemona's, Iago's, Brabantio's and Cassio's weakness of human judgement.

Annnnddd thennn she told me she was 'knocking me down, to build me up'. At this point I was so pissed off I couldn't handle anymore so I asked her how is that going to help me in an exam. I wanted to know what I would get on the day if I wrote this; no feckin' examiner is gunna want to knock me down to build me up, their gunna give me the marks exactly as I got them like! :L

I am beyond annoyed at this cause she hasn't explained to me either what I'm doing right for this essay, or what I'm doing wrong. If someone can explain this to me il full on happily take the 50% cause that's what I deserved, obviously. But when a teacher can't justify her mark I cannot understand what the hell she is on about.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME ANYONE DEAR GAWWDD.

Why don't you get it marked by another teacher in the school and compare feedbacks?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,086 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

eoins23456 wrote: »

Why don't you get it marked by another teacher in the school and compare feedbacks?

If you are doing this, be careful you don't majorly piss your own teacher off. If you could get a teacher from another school to do it that would be better, but OP, what do you do if they say it's a 90% essay, or a 25% one? Is it a case of wanting to be told what you want to hear?

Why not write a new essay instead of rewriting some old one - not quite clear on why you did that. Write the new essay taking on board what your teacher said.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ciarakks

eoins23456 wrote: »

Yeah I think I might do that! Lots of people in my class have done this already :P

spurious wrote: »
    If you are doing this, be careful you don't majorly piss your own teacher off. If you could get a teacher from another school to do it that would be better, but OP, what do you do if they say it's a 90% essay, or a 25% one? Is it a case of wanting to be told what you want to hear?

Why not write a new essay instead of rewriting some old one - not quite clear on why you did that. Write the new essay taking on board what your teacher said.

Oh ya I know well! I won't mind either way I just need the help onwhat I've done wrong and what I'm doing right if you get me, that's all I needed from my teacher you see! :) not at all I just am really aiming for an A here and want to be told these things

I wrote the new essay, already taking on board her previous comments along with new notes from online and new notes she had given me, it was a whole new question but still had the elements of the 70% essay but bulked up more with new and better notes she had given us recently! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭jackboy

Maybe she didn't like you just rehashing the new notes. Maybe you didn't include enough of your own original thought.

• Advertisement

jackboy wrote: »
    Maybe she didn't like you just rehashing the new notes. Maybe you didn't include enough of your own original thought.

That would have been completely understandable if she had said that if ya get me! I dont mind what I did wrong, I just want to know what I did wrong and what I'd get in the real exam for that essay! Emailed another teacher anyways...be grand :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,086 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

ciarakks wrote: »
    That would have been completely understandable if she had said that if ya get me! I dont mind what I did wrong, I just want to know what I did wrong and what I'd get in the real exam for that essay! Emailed another teacher anyways...be grand :P

Make sure they are an SEC corrector.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭marko747

You could maybe put it up here and see if another English teacher might mark or give you some feedback :)

Advertisement