Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

raven136 wrote: »
    Where do you get this info from?

I was talking to Dermot himself during the week and he would be delighted if he can help the lads this season.His body wont stand up to a full season of starting games and he expects his role to be that of an impact sub.

Ah what would he know:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I was talking to Dermot himself during the week and he would be delighted if he can help the lads this season.His body wont stand up to a full season of starting games and he expects his role to be that of an impact sub.

Once he comes on at all it'd make him ineligible for the junior match. Is he in the panel for this weekend's game?

I expect Kildare to hockey what is a dreadful Offaly team so hopefully he'll get on. I saw them play Cavan in the league and they were atrocious.

That said, Cavan lost so not like I can say too much :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,198 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

All I said was if he is fit he is a no brainer to start. why??

We all know dermot isn't going to be playing full matches etc, sure that's common sense!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Lemlin wrote: »
    Once he comes on at all it'd make him ineligible for the junior match. Is he in the panel for this weekend's game?

I expect Kildare to hockey what is a dreadful Offaly team so hopefully he'll get on. I saw them play Cavan in the league and they were atrocious.

That said, Cavan lost so not like I can say too much :eek:
    The Juniors don't matter, if he is needed McGeeney will bring him on, he won't hesitate just because of the Juniors and rightly so.

I expect us to beat Offaly easily but like Johnny Doyle said during the week if we come out with a one point win thats all that matters. Kildare fans remember all to well losing in the first round to Wicklow and Louth in recent years when they were expected to win easily.

We played Offaly in the O'Byrne cup and won 0-19 to 0-4 but I'm sure they have improved since then. Niall McNamee is a huge loss for them.

Kildare by 7

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Earley didnt line out for the juniors in their win the other night, so he is probably gearing up for a run on Sunday. I wouldnt give too much weight to the named team either, its probably just something for them to print in the program.

I agree that the juniors dont mean as much. In previous years they were used as a "B" team to get fringe players game time, but with the rule changes brought in this year thats out of the question now

• Advertisement

CILL DARA ABÚ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Greenngold

Niall Mc will feature at some point for Offaly. Great player,. Ken Casey and Anton Sullivan are useful forwards for Offaly. Bernard Allen didn't make the team which is a bit of surprise, saw them play a few times between college and club and looked a good player. I expect Kildare to win by 6+.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭redarmy

CILL DARA ABÚ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Handy enough game for kildare they never got into second gear. Missed some very handy scores by putting the ball ito square. But a win is a win. Well done everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Impressive Kildare performance without ever really breaking into second gear. Should be a great semi between yourself's and those we do not speak of.

Fancy a Kildare vs Dublin LF.

• Advertisement

Pretty good performance all round from Kildare some lovely scores taken. Apart from the first 10 minutes Offaly had nothing to offer this game. Johnny Doyle, Ollie Lyons and Mick Foley were all brilliant for Kildare IMO.

Meath are up next in 2 weeks time and I'm sure they won't roll over like Offaly did.

Well done lads a good result but gotta hand it to Offaly keeper some great saves to prevent what could have been 3 goals against his county!! For me offalys best player on the day..

Johnny Doyle what can I say apart from WOW absolute cracking footballer!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Hey everyone, when will the semi-final tickets go on sale and will they go on sale at st. conleths park as usual??

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Hey everyone, when will the semi-final tickets go on sale and will they go on sale at st. conleths park as usual??

Not sure exactly when they go on sale but the Kildare GAA club shop in Whitewater will definitely have them.

Think they sell them out of Hawkfield as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭splashthecash

To Alcohol wrote: »
    Not sure exactly when they go on sale but the Kildare GAA club shop in Whitewater will definitely have them.

Think they sell them out of Hawkfield as well.

One last question, I have a 2 and a half year old - what are the prices usually for children of this age? Hardly full price I fear....

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

One last question, I have a 2 and a half year old - what are the prices usually for children of this age? Hardly full price I fear....

Judging by the link below it's €5 for kids.

http://leinster.gaa.ie/ticket-information/leinster-sfc-semi-finals-1st-july-2012-croke-park.2161.html

I was asked by the great bastion of your county that is Dark Night to move this over here:
    Think you will find Johnston instigated the transfer to try get away from a terrible cavan team, know few of Kevin's players and Johnston said he instigated the transfer not anyone from Kildare setup!

Sure IF Kildare win something and IF Johnston plays a part I'll be sure to post pics of it on Cavan board just for you being a bitter fan!!!

You should direct your negativity towards Cavan camp lemlin it's not kildares fault ye wouldn't kick snow off a rope!!! Also if u wanna stArt **** bout Kildare use the Kildare thread not fair the Meath lads having to see this **** tbh!!

Apologies to Meath fans here

Right, here goes, first off my post is that Kildare supporters will have to get used to the criticism that if they win anything in the championship that it was by using players from outside Kildare. If Johnston plays, is that not correct?

The majority of your post above is complete and utter nonsense. Have you missed all the newspapers and Johnston himself commenting that he was told he was not required by Cavan? So how exactly did he instigate a move to get away from a terrible Cavan team?

In relation to Cavan not being able to kick snow off a rope, I'm not sure where exactly you are getting the delusions of grandeur about Kildare GAA. Kildare have won exactly the same as Cavan in the championship in the past five or ten years - sweet fook all.

We, however, don't find ourselves in huge debt:

http://www.kildare-nationalist.ie/tabId/205/itemId/12870/Kildare-in-last-chance-saloon-to-solve-debt-crisis.aspx

So, if McGeeney leaves at the end of the year, as many are saying he may, what exactly will he have accomplished in Kildare? They haven't won a Leinster title, they haven't beaten any of the top sides on the championship and he's also brought a negative air towards the county re the Johnston affair and also the comments of Shane Supple re being approached.

Yes, ye have improved but at what cost? A big cost for no silverware if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭lilywhites28

Talk about sour grapes Lemlin.
    The kildare team deserve the credit if they win anything this year after building and working hard year on year. We were in disaray before Mcgeeney took charge. As a kildare fan I attended games more in hope than anything else. We have been turned into strong contenders in my eyes and have contested the business end of the championship since 09 including 4 all ireland quarters and a semi. Unlucky calls were made and only for that who knows where we would of have ended up. So yes as a kildare fan I think what has been achieved is remarkable. Throw the "sure you havent won anything" line at us all you want. I know that when that kildare team walk out onto the pitch they give nothing less then 110%. They have both pride back into the lilywhite jersey and will continue to do so. Everyday dog has its day so I believe after all their hard work and commitment they will get their day in the sun!
    Time to accept that it was the Cavan manager that god rid of Seanie. A plan that back fired spectacularly! Look it's done and dusted now. So time to move on. You just sound like you have sour grapes!
    Really looking forward to the game on sunday week. Will be tight but cant see kildare letting a Leinster final place pass them by. All the best to the lilywhites!!

The pride is present in Kildare football lemlin, we appreciate the effort the lads put in for the lily whites!

As for you saying Kildare are poaching get off the bandwagon!!! Johnston wasn't welcome in Cavan so he came to Kildare and fair play to him IMO why should he lick Cavan people's arses? He is dead right in letting Cavan piss off IMO.. As for supple cop on why would Kildare want dublins third choice keeper? Supple is a classic example of a drama queen saying I'm loyal to Dublin etc which is waffle IMO if any soccer team would offer him a contract he would take it you can guarantee that. Supple isn't fit to clean cluxtons boots and feels the need to cry wolf to media for a bit of attention!!!

Lemlin you have been ****ty towards Kildare after this transfer in meath thread especially, I hope Kildare do manage to wil silverware and if they do I will be pming you photos of Johnston in white and with team trust me that...

Cavan haven't won **** all championship matches in last 5 years Kildare have given us great memories and long summers!!!

Thanks to all Kildare squad

Oh and lemlin don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out the door

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭celt262

Time to accept that it was the Cavan manager that god rid of Seanie. A plan that back fired spectacularly!

Care to explain how it has backfired?

• Advertisement

Seanie Johnston won't be playing any football for Kildare in the Championship this year so all this talk is pretty pointless.

The kildare team deserve the credit if they win anything this year after building and working hard year on year. We were in disaray before Mcgeeney took charge. As a kildare fan I attended games more in hope than anything else. We have been turned into strong contenders in my eyes and have contested the business end of the championship since 09 including 4 all ireland quarters and a semi. Unlucky calls were made and only for that who knows where we would of have ended up. So yes as a kildare fan I think what has been achieved is remarkable. Throw the "sure you havent won anything" line at us all you want. I know that when that kildare team walk out onto the pitch they give nothing less then 110%. They have both pride back into the lilywhite jersey and will continue to do so. Everyday dog has its day so I believe after all their hard work and commitment they will get their day in the sun!
    Time to accept that it was the Cavan manager that god rid of Seanie. A plan that back fired spectacularly! Look it's done and dusted now. So time to move on. You just sound like you have sour grapes!
    Really looking forward to the game on sunday week. Will be tight but cant see kildare letting a Leinster final place pass them by. All the best to the lilywhites!!

How is it sour grapes? I don't think I have stated anything but fact above. Kildare are hugely in debt and have a payment plan to pay back €300,000 to headquarters by 2017. Will McGeeney be there in 2017? Is the grass roots game in the county suffering with all this money being spent on the senior team? When did Kildare last win something at minor or U21 level? These are the questions that have to be asked.

I agree with you that the Kildare lads have made giant strides and always give 110% but is that enough? McGeeney obviously doesn't think that the footballers are in the county to move to the next level or he wouldn't be looking outside it.

Kildare have made 4 quarters and 1 semi final, the year they made the semi they played Meath in the quarter. They have never beaten one of the top teams like Dublin, Kerry, Cork or Tyrone. Donegal disposed of them last year. In fact, twice against Dublin they haven't looked like matching the Dubs until they had a man sent off. Check my posts from last year. I said numerous times last year, before the Johnston debacle, that Kildare were overrated. This is not sour grapes. It is my opinion.

I accepted long ago it was Cavan got rid of Seanie and if you look at my posts I've always backed the decision. I was actually reading over the Cavan thread the other day and as early as last August, after we lost to Longford, I said I wouldn't be sad to see Seanie go when someone mentioned that they could see widespread withdrawals from the senior setup. I've also said for numerous years thatI'd prefer to see him not play in the league as it'd help the other forwards progress. I'd also re-iterate Celt's question, how has the decision backfired exactly?

In fairness, Kildare will win next Sunday. Meath are very poor. It's against Dublin in the final that they will get their game.

And again, I'll ask the question that started this off, how is it unfair to criticise Kildare for using players outside their own county if Johnston plays?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

This Seanie Johnston stuff is utterly painful, the same few drumbeaters repeating themselves ad nauseum without having said anything new or interesting in weeks.

Lemlin you are like a broken record, the Seanie thread is still open so go and witter on in that, instead if clogging up this thread with your bitterness.

The pride is present in Kildare football lemlin, we appreciate the effort the lads put in for the lily whites!

As for you saying Kildare are poaching get off the bandwagon!!! Johnston wasn't welcome in Cavan so he came to Kildare and fair play to him IMO why should he lick Cavan people's arses? He is dead right in letting Cavan piss off IMO.. As for supple cop on why would Kildare want dublins third choice keeper? Supple is a classic example of a drama queen saying I'm loyal to Dublin etc which is waffle IMO if any soccer team would offer him a contract he would take it you can guarantee that. Supple isn't fit to clean cluxtons boots and feels the need to cry wolf to media for a bit of attention!!!

Lemlin you have been ****ty towards Kildare after this transfer in meath thread especially, I hope Kildare do manage to wil silverware and if they do I will be pming you photos of Johnston in white and with team trust me that...

Cavan haven't won **** all championship matches in last 5 years Kildare have given us great memories and long summers!!!

Thanks to all Kildare squad

Oh and lemlin don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out the door

I never said ye didn't appreciate the effort the Kildare lads put in for a start. As for Seanie, who asked him to lick Cavan people's rear ends? I certainly didn't. As I said above in a reply to your county compatriot, I said as early as last August that I wouldn't be sad to see him go. Check the Cavan thread.

It's also incorrect to say that Johnston is letting Cavan piss off. The more accurate version would be that he was told to piss off if you wish to phrase it like that. You never like to let the truth get in the way of a good story though e.g. your point re Supple above. You say he'd drop Dublin GAA for any soccer team. You are aware he walked away from Ipswich and a professional soccer contract and that Roy Keane, then manager, actually tried to get him to stay? I also didn't see anyone from Kildare deny the story. Are you trying to say its not true that he was approached?

I don't see how its ****ty as you put it towards Kildare to say that they can be criticised for using players from other counties if Johnston plays. As I said above, is it not correct and has the criticism not already started by many before he even kicks a ball?

You can pm me all the photos you like. I wish Kildare all the best and I've said I wish Seanie the best also. That you see me stating facts and giving my opinion as sour grapes is not my concern.

You're wrong again there. Cavan haven't won **** all championship games in six years, not five but, when the silverware is counted, like I've said, we've won the same as Kildare. Have ye had any underage success in recent years? What I can say we have won is a minor Ulster title and 2 U21 Ulster titles so the hope is there for the future.

My worry for Kildare is that they'll be left counting the cost of the McGeeney era long after he has gone and that players like Johnny Doyle and Dermot Earley will not be replaced.

Lemlin I have an old Kildare jersey you can have and u can join in the Kildare crews fun and frolics in the summer?

Lemlin what we supposed to do? Ah **** it haters gonna hate.

Cavan are at best brutal lemlin how can u argue success etc Cavan are terrible and rightly you know it.

My only issue is you popping off bout Kildare when there's no need for you to do so no beef with you apart from that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Seanie Johnston is playing in Kildare now and got his transfer within the laws of the game. Its not as if McGeeney poached him or went raiding other counties to make up a team.

Its fair to say that if McGeeney does leave at the end of the year Kildare will be in a significantly better position than when he joined. You have to give him credit for bringing us from being nowhere to a top eight county - fingers crossed he can bring us up to the next level this year

Lemlin you are like a broken record, the Seanie thread is still open so go and witter on in that, instead if clogging up this thread with your bitterness.

I don't see how it is bitterness to make a number of points in regard to the Kildare team that I already made last year. As I've said, I have no problem with the Johnston transfer or the effort the Kildare team are putting in. In fact, I commend them for it.

The one problem I have raised though, and would be interested in getting your opinions on, is what McGeeney will leave behind. Kildare already owe headquarters €300,000 - this has been well documented. They have to have it paid by 2017. Has this money been spent exclusively on the county team or is it being spent at grass roots level in the county? From what I've heard, its going on the county team. Who, for that level of expense, have never beaten one of the major sides in McGeeney's five years in charge. I saw the Kildare team play Meath in Navan last year and they didn't come across as a team capable of winning the All-Ireland to me. I'm just wondering do general supporters in the county realise the level of debt that has been accumulated pushing for success?

Read this article for example:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/debtladen-kildare-reject-criticism-of-footballers-3088227.html

Then you have to look at the youth setup in the county. I'm not familiar with Kildare at underage level but I don't remember them winning too much in recent years. Have they won anything? The likes of Doyle and Earley are on their last legs and you have to wonder, when McGeeney disappears off into the sunset, and leaves Kildare GAA in huge debt, will he also be leaving a team with no fresh blood coming through?

I think those are fair points to make and posters above have just commented on my comments re Johnston. The Johnston thing has been done to death I agree but the fact remains that none of you have commented on the facts above, leaving the Johnston issue aside. Everyone has just focused on me mentioning Johnston because it suits them to bury their heads in the sand regarding the rest of my post.

Kildare GAA is on a high now but what will the result be is my question? For me it's a result that could be hard to swallow if no silverware is won.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Lemlin, why don't you let Kildare worry about our own problems and focus on your own county's issues? Your take on the financial issues is completely ill informed. Kildare's current debt is mainly down to the outlay on the Hawkfield complex - nothing to do with McGeeney, Johnston or any other nonsense you are trying to link it to. The €300,000 from Croke Park is not a loan so it does not have to be repaid. It was an advance on money that was due to be paid to the Kildare County Board later this year. If you're going to have a cut at Kildare you could at least get your facts straight.

I think the day Seanie Johnston pulls on a white shirt will not be a proud day for Kildare football but it's done now and there's no point in continually going over the ins and outs and the rights and wrongs of it. He won't play this year anyway so it's not going to be an issue again until next January or February.

As for the match on Sunday, great to hear Leper is back training after his operation. I can't see him featuring from the start but it would be great if we could get 15-20 mins from him. Only change from the Offaly match I can see happening is Daryl in for Eoin Doyle.

Advertisement